U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,251,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Verna,
This opportunity for one-on-one time with Jesus without the stress and distraction of your conflicts with the church is precious. Use it to truly experience the love of God in your heart and know that you are loved by us all in Christ. Be well, Mystic
...Mystic......(sigh)...I don't know what to say...my heart is so full of love...and your's and the others' replies are all just so precious to me...I never expected this...............thank you...so much...I feel the love...from everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Amen.
...and sparrow......thank you too...one thing I can say...is it is really beautiful how all you all have rallied around me...covering me with the love I so desperately need to survive..........God Bless you.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,131,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Good morning gabfest......and thank you.

No, we didn't have an exit interview.

Getting to this point of separation has been quite a journey...something that has been building up now for 14 months...ever since the LORD blessed me with the knowledge of the truth. Since then, more and more every Sunday, every message my pastor taught would in some manner bring tears to my eyes. I would leave feeling as if something had sucked the breath right out of me...where I would have to come home and just cry out to God...sit in His arms, and let Him restore what I had lost there in the service...a very heavy burden to bear.

It took me a long time to leave because I was not willing to let go of what gave me so much pleasure...and what I knew gave the Lord so much pleasure as well...ministering to and praying for the people...leading them into the presence of the LORD in praise and worship, singing the alto part in our ensemble...which gave me so much joy...I only missed maybe 10 Sunday's in eight years...giving love to my First Love......but there just comes a time when you know...when you finally realize, that you have to let go of even the good when it is mixed with bad...when the bad hinders your growth. There was a lot of manipulation and control...and lies. I know God will give me a new song...in a new season.

The straw that broke the camel's back was last Sunday...

Our church has a tradition...we all gather in a circle holding hands and pray 30 minutes before service starts (we are a very small church...no growth in 16 years.....good people keep leaving)...from the very young to the very old we join hands...no one has to pray if they do not want to..so the one's who do have a prayer on their heart, do. I am one of about 6 people who always have a prayer for my church...for the pastor and his wife...and for the people and their needs...

...last Sunday, after our prayer circle had finished...the pastor's wife came up to me and asked me not to pray in the circle anymore...and she said it with a smile...after her initial request, she continued to talk and explain, but I didn't hear anything after that...I was swallowing hard...fighting back the tears...I just couldn't believe it. Her reason was to make the youth pray......they hardly ever pray...they are very shy...there have been a few who do, once in a great while, give a very timid prayer....but it is so precious...I encourage them when they do...but it isn't often.

So I did ask her one thing when she was finished...I asked, "So, what do I do if no one is praying...and there is just silence for a long time?" she replied, "Don't pray anyway...just let it stay silent."...and she walked away.

I did all I could through the rest of the service everytime I thought of it, to keep from crying.

It took me three days to decide that was it, I couldn't take anymore...plus...I never shook off the day, a year ago, when he called me into his office and told me if I ever ministered my beliefs (the truth) to anyone else, and he heard about it, he would have to ask me to leave...since then, I have kept my mouth shut...remained faithful to the ministry of music and prayer that God has given to me, thinking I would be able to balance it all together...but you cannot mix darkness with light...it is an unequal yoke...a very heavy yoke to bear.

But I am free now...praise God!...and it feels so good!...so liberating!
Just curious, what beliefs did your pastor not want you talking about?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,587,605 times
Hi Verna,

I don't know what it was your pastor did not want you teaching, but I have experienced the rejection of a couple of churches before, not for teaching others but just for asking tough questions. I assume it was a belief in UR that upset your pastor, but it's not really clear from your post. I've been rejected by family members for espousing a belief in Universal Reconciliation of Adam's race in Christ.

Heartsong

Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM

3,585 posts, read 464,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hi Verna,

I don't know what it was your pastor did not want you teaching, but I have experienced the rejection of a couple of churches before, not for teaching others but just for asking tough questions. I assume it was a belief in UR that upset your pastor, but it's not really clear from your post. I've been rejected by family members for espousing a belief in Universal Reconciliation of Adam's race in Christ.

Heartsong
Heartsong,

Verna does not believe in UR but does believe in keeping the 10 commandments, including the sabbath.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Just curious, what beliefs did your pastor not want you talking about?
Good afternoon siameseifyoupls...

Sure...

*That saved and salvation are two different things...

Saved is what one is when they initially received Jesus as their Savior and Lord of their life...then the process of working out their salvation begins with fear and trembling...but it must be worked out through flesh burning fire that comes when we go through our trials and tests of life...learning (hopefully) what sin is and what it isn't...we are looking forward to our salvation in Christ Jesus.

*The "born-again Christian" doesn't automatically happen at the point of being saved (above)...this occures within a Christian when they have in fact been changed into the character of Christ...and have come to a place (matured) where they are totally yielded and submitted to God's will in their life above their own...obedient to the Ten Commandments, not excluding the Fourth one...keeping the 7th day (Saturday) Sabbath holy unto God...this is when a Christian is adopted into the sonship of Christ...a son of God.

...this is foundational...so the truth of everything else that is preached depends upon the understanding of these most basic, most precious principles/standards.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hi Verna,

Heartsong
...Heartsong...<--love your name......I have a song in my heart too...

Yes, as meerkat explained, I am a Sabbath Keeper...but thank you for your reply...I appreciate it very much...and I am sorry for the rejection you have experienced...and especially by your family...that is very, very sad to hear...I will remember to include you in my prayers...I promise...

Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM

701 posts, read 659,877 times
You have a tremendous amount of courage and I greatly respect your conviction. I have seen so many people turn away from God completely because of the way a church treated them. Hold your head high and stay close to the Lord. I will keep you in my prayers and please don't hesitate to PM me anytime.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM

45 posts, read 39,989 times
I feel for you so much! I can't believe....wait, unfortunately I can, that a church of all places/people would treat you in such a way. It's shaming. As HalfNelson stated well, a lot of people do turn away from God or a church or start questioning things when treated as such by people that are supposed to be of God. Sad, very sad. I'm so happy to read that you're keeping your faith strong. Sure, they would like the youth to pray more and be more involved, but aren't you a wonderful example for them? Aren't we supposed to be an example for others? I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you find a new church home that is fitting for you, full of graceful and loving people that accept you and ALL of you as you are! God bless you, you seem like a very beautiful person!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
You have a tremendous amount of courage and I greatly respect your conviction. I have seen so many people turn away from God completely because of the way a church treated them. Hold your head high and stay close to the Lord. I will keep you in my prayers and please don't hesitate to PM me anytime.
...thank you so much HalfNelson...my goodness...and you are in inspiration to me as well...the respect goes both ways......thank you for remembering me in your precious prayers...and while you are at it (and I ask this of all of you), please include my mother...her name is JoAnn...she survived 3rd stage colon cancer 2 years ago...I took her to get a colonoscopy last Friday...they cut out 3 pollups...we haven't been informed yet whether or not they are cancerous...very concerned......we cried when her oncologist told us...

...thank you HalfNelson again...I will hold my head up high...and I will stay as close to the Lord as I possibly can...I love Him so much...

Last edited by Verna Perry; 04-20-2010 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity