Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:07 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,632,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamamma View Post
I feel for you so much! I can't believe....wait, unfortunately I can, that a church of all places/people would treat you in such a way. It's shaming. As HalfNelson stated well, a lot of people do turn away from God or a church or start questioning things when treated as such by people that are supposed to be of God. Sad, very sad. I'm so happy to read that you're keeping your faith strong. Sure, they would like the youth to pray more and be more involved, but aren't you a wonderful example for them? Aren't we supposed to be an example for others? I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you find a new church home that is fitting for you, full of graceful and loving people that accept you and ALL of you as you are! God bless you, you seem like a very beautiful person!
Thank you......I've known for 14 months that this would eventually be the outcome, me having to go...I just didn't know how it truly would end. I promised God that I would leave respectfully...and with so much love for them all...and I did...this is so comforting for me. Thank you so much for your sweet prayers on my behalf...that is the best thing in the whole world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,175,199 times
I am sorry, I don't get why everyone is so mushy and excited. She was trying to tell the members that they are saved/salvation by grace. She was telling them that Jesus dying on the cross isn’t what sends a person to heaven but their good works are.

I don’t know many gospel believing churches that would stand for someone preaching another gospel.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM

45 posts, read 47,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I am sorry, I don't get why everyone is so mushy and excited. She was trying to tell the members that they are saved/salvation by grace. She was telling them that Jesus dying on the cross isn’t what sends a person to heaven but their good works are.

I don’t know many gospel believing churches that would stand for someone preaching another gospel.
Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but myself, I was just respecting her beliefs and felt bad that a church where she should have felt comfortable and accepted shunned her and treated her badly. Now if they told her in a respectful way that if she continued to "preach" what they didn't believe, that's one thing, but what got me was when the woman asked her not to pray in the circle anymore so the children would pray more. I can see her wanting the children to pray openly more, but I don't think asking Verna NOT to was a little over the line I guess you could say. I think she set a wonderful example for everyone, including the children who need to see how to pray and that it's okay to pray openly. JMO.

As far as what she believes and what she's telling everyone, that's between her and God I suppose and not for me to judge. I just feel bad that her "comfort zone" and "family" were not as she believed they were. That can be tough to realize.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Sadly hilgi, I have to agree with you, you are so right...you don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi
...and even double sadly, I have to agree with you, again you are so right...there aren't many gospel believing churches that would stand for someone preaching another gospel...the question is...who's preaching a false gospel and who's preaching the truth...?...and this is my final answer to you.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,175,199 times
Quote:
Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but myself, I was just respecting her beliefs and felt bad that a church where she should have felt comfortable and accepted shunned her and treated her badly. Now if they told her in a respectful way that if she continued to "preach" what they didn't believe, that's one thing, but what got me was when the woman asked her not to pray in the circle anymore so the children would pray more. I can see her wanting the children to pray openly more, but I don't think asking Verna NOT to was a little over the line I guess you could say. I think she set a wonderful example for everyone, including the children who need to see how to pray and that it's okay to pray openly. JMO.

As far as what she believes and what she's telling everyone, that's between her and God I suppose and not for me to judge. I just feel bad that her "comfort zone" and "family" were not as she believed they were. That can be tough to realize.
I remember sitting in church as a kid and seeing a guy stand up and start yelling at the preacher, saying he is wrong etc. We are just hearing one side of the story, how do we know her prayers weren’t full of distortions of the saving GRACE of Jesus. What should a church do when people feel their beliefs need to be heard by all?

There are plenty of works churches for her to choose from, making a congregation uncomfortable is not fair to the members.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I remember sitting in church as a kid and seeing a guy stand up and start yelling at the preacher, saying he is wrong etc. We are just hearing one side of the story, how do we know her prayers weren’t full of distortions of the saving GRACE of Jesus. What should a church do when people feel their beliefs need to be heard by all?

There are plenty of works churches for her to choose from, making a congregation uncomfortable is not fair to the members.
No, I'm not disagreeing with you. If it's uncomfortable for the both of them, she and the church, she needs to find someplace that is fitting for everyone. I just felt bad that her perception of "home" was suddenly crushed and now she feels "homeless" (just so to speak....can't think of a better way to put it). And I don't agree about the lady telling her not to pray....like I said, I think it sets a good example for the children.......UNLESS it's against what the church teaches and makes them uncomfortable, as you said, then maybe the woman who told her not to pray could have given her the REAL reason, rather than using the excuse that she wants it quiet for the children to speak up. That's not right and "chicken" on the woman's part not to tell the truth. Ya, you never know both sides to a story unless you're in it, you're right.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not disagreeing with you. If it's uncomfortable for the both of them, she and the church, she needs to find someplace that is fitting for everyone. I just felt bad that her perception of "home" was suddenly crushed and now she feels "homeless" (just so to speak....can't think of a better way to put it). And I don't agree about the lady telling her not to pray....like I said, I think it sets a good example for the children.......UNLESS it's against what the church teaches and makes them uncomfortable, as you said, then maybe the woman who told her not to pray could have given her the REAL reason, rather than using the excuse that she wants it quiet for the children to speak up. That's not right and "chicken" on the woman's part not to tell the truth. Ya, you never know both sides to a story unless you're in it, you're right.
...my prayers came from the throne of God. There was nothing in my prayers that condemned or put down anyone in any way, shape or form...they were always for blessings...for hope...for joy and peace...and growth/increase both in things spiritual and in individuals' lives...for needs that were spoken to me in private conversations...specific prayer requests from some...there was nothing wrong with my prayers...not a thing.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...my prayers came from the throne of God. There was nothing in my prayers that condemned or put down anyone in any way, shape or form...they were always for blessings...for hope...for joy and peace...and growth/increase both in things spiritual and in individuals' lives...for needs that were spoken to me in private conversations...specific prayer requests from some...there was nothing wrong with my prayers...not a thing.
Oh no, no, I didn't say there was. I had absolutely no idea what your prayers were about...it was just a hypothetical there. Sorry if there was confusion.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM

8,118 posts, read 6,859,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Well, who knows.. maybe she really DID want the teens to speak up and perhaps she thought they would be embarassed to pray (if they are not used to praying out loud) after someone prayed a big powerful prayer or something. Do you understand what I mean? That is the first thing that I thought when I read what happened. I thought "that makes sense to me". But you took it a different way, though and I can't really know the situation because I am only on the outside looking in.

I was happy that you seemed free from something that you wanted to be free of. And you rejoicing over that, made me feel very happy for you, Verna. Take care of yourself.

peace,
sparrow

Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Well, who knows.. maybe she really DID want the teens to speak up and perhaps she thought they would be embarassed to pray (if they are not used to praying out loud) after someone prayed a big powerful prayer or something. Do you understand what I mean? That is the first thing that I thought when I read what happened. I thought "that makes sense to me". But you took it a different way, though and I can't really know the situation because I am only on the outside looking in.

I was happy that you seemed free from something that you wanted to be free of. And you rejoicing over that, made me feel very happy for you, Verna. Take care of yourself.

peace,
sparrow
That makes perfect sense. Maybe the woman could have explained herself a bit better. Sometimes some people (esp me sometimes, I think) really stink at good communication. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity