U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 495,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Because, even though we have Christ, if we have not other's who (we hope) are like minded...to encourage us and hold us accountable...to cry with or laugh with...to help or be helped....we're still human, and because we are still human...we are lonely...we are not an island unto ourselves...God tells us to fellowship.
Verna .... true, We are to love God and love our neighbour as ourselves --- to me that is about community for humans to help each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM

26,634 posts, read 14,206,118 times
Quote:
I recieve your prayer Richard...for a spirit of boldness...thank you so much. I hope you know how much this means to me...it means everything.

It is no secret, the truth that I preach, especially for you all here, on CD...for this is where I recieved this truth...this is where the truth in me has evolved...this is where I learned that I had a voice...and to stand strong for what I believe in...I am the product of intense (seemingly endless sometimes) debates in which I entertained with so many on this forum...not just accepting what I read...but going and digging for endless hours for what God had to say about eveything!...I am so grateful to God for Him leading me here. It proved to be so very beneficial for me in my growth as a Christian.

Balance...it's a precious word...funny you should mention it here...it is a word that God has been speaking to me now for 14 months...to "be sober", He would say, and "remain diligent"..."to focus", He would say, and He always reminded me to "stay balanced"...and "loving" in my representing His truth that He has given me..."be patient"...and "long-suffering"..."to act and not re-act"....but "to stand strong, and not be moved!"...

...I've been pretty "torn-up" here on occassion...and sometimes I still do get ripped into tiny shreads...but as I said...I've learned through this to be strong!...Thank you Jesus...His Word has come alive within me...I truly do experience His Word...alive....in me!...Praise God.

May God Bless you too Richard...may He bless you and keep you in His loving care...and may His face shine down upon you, and give you peace...to you and those that you love and care about the most. Thank you so much.
thank you...then maybe i am confirmation of what God has put on your heart for the last 14 months...But, let me warn you that there will be many that twist the Word to their own destruction and sound very knowledgeable...but, preach false...that is why i said with balance and reason and logic you should study...and the more you study the more you will be able to discern that someone is handing you a crock of garbage...Let the scriptures and the Holy Spirit teach you and depend on no one elses writings because they are just that someone elses opinions...however, if you do then make certain that they line up with scripture and if they do not then reject them...one part of scripture may seem to say one thing and then another the opposite...by digging deep one may find the balance in them and thus the disallusion of the contradiction...For example...
The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
Joh 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
Joh 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
Joh 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him....

What is this saying?...it is a quote from Psa 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High...

Many out there Preach that we are in effect God...I think it was Robert Tipton that stated that we are little Christs, which, being Christ is God, that makes us God...One of my former Pastors would listen to him but after he made that statement to his congregation on national telivision, he turned it off and hasn't listened to him since...

So, this may be where a lot of these folks get this, but they are not reasoning it out...if we were gods then we would not need Christ's atoneing Sacrifice...would we?...but, what is it really saying?...Is Christ confirming what was written by them?...or was He being sarcastic?...What Christ was saying was, 'Hey, you wrote down that we are gods, so why are you trying to kill me for saying the same thing and agreeing with you?'...Do you see the point i am trying to make?...if one does not read with logic and reason, they have a tendency to twist the teaching...or if one reads to fast and does not ask questions like 'what are they trying to say? or why or for what reason might this have beeen said? what were people doing that might ellicit that statement?'...If we have the ability to live a sinless life after conversion then we must have always had it so why do we need Salvation, we can pay for it by ourselves...and if after conversion, we must still keep the law, then what was the point?...Christ paid for my sins, is God going to require a payment out of me for the very same sin?That is like someone getting a payment from the insurance company to fix their car and then demanding payment from the offending party...it is called fraud...you get payment from one or the other...not both...God is not fraudulent...He is Just... as Paul points out you are no longer under the Law, but under Grace...Here is something else that Paul spoke about in Romans...
Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Rom 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

All things work together for the good...if everything was good for those that love God, then that statement of 'all things' is uneccessary...that means that good and evil work together for the good of those that love God...so, Verna, take heart...those who were called according to His PURPOSE...what is God's purpose that Paul speaks of here?...He is creating Himself a people, not only of the Jews but also of the Gentiles...Now, if you will read from Romans 8:29 to Romans 8:31...it is all in the past tense...already completed...we as humans see time and sanctification as a process...God has completed it already...we have to go through the march of time that was created for us by God...God has no time...from the beginning to the end is all God's now...What John was shown in Revelations had already taken place from God's standpoint, but, to John it was still in man's future...So, this and [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

are also in the past tense...So, these and others like it is where your security in your Salvation, your assurance lies...

I am sorry if you might not understand this the way i have written it...i find it difficult to get accross to someone what is in my mind in the way of understanding God and His ways...To describe what i see is hard to put into words or the deep way i understand God...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Because, even though we have Christ, if we have not other's who (we hope) are like minded...to encourage us and hold us accountable...to cry with or laugh with...to help or be helped....we're still human, and because we are still human...we are lonely...we are not an island unto ourselves...God tells us to fellowship.
again i say...FOOTPRINTS, Verna...God Bless You...

Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,453,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
again i say...FOOTPRINTS, Verna...God Bless You...
I have a copy of this poem framed and displayed for all to see. I love this one...penned by an anonymous writer?

Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,408,893 times
Quote:
How can one be lonely when they have Christ?...i do not understand this...maybe it is the level of ones Faith and Knowledge...

We were made to be social creatures. It gets HARD not having any friends, family, church, whatever. VERY lonely.

But, it can be peaceful, especially if those things have caused chaos in the past.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
We were made to be social creatures. It gets HARD not having any friends, family, church, whatever. VERY lonely.

But, it can be peaceful, especially if those things have caused chaos in the past.
How do you explain Religious Hermits?...

Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

I totally agree .....

Some are born more social than others .... and people can be made more or less social by what experiences they receive from others ... sometimes isolation is good and what you need for a time.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
All members of the body are not the same (have the same function) ....... we are not all to be religious hermits.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,408,893 times
Quote:
As in monks? Or maybe even the prophet John wandering?

For the most part, I don't believe that we are to be wandering around by ourselves. We were made to have families and community. I don't think much of what the Catholic church does is very Biblical, anyhow, if that was what you were talking about, about religious hermits. If we separate into these "special" places, we don't have the Salt mingling much with the unsalted. If we are not on the same level as others, how are we supposed to show the love of God to others? We become these exalted creatures that live in these special quiet places that don't have any kind of reality to them, really.

We are supposed to show God's love, patience, and kindness even in the middle of madness. Who is going to look at a religious hermit and say, "wow, very powerful stuff?" They aren't interacting with the madness as others have to do on a daily basis. Those that do live in the "REAL WORLD" and still keep their wits and kindness about them, now THAT is a TESTIMONY to God's power and love vs. the worlds power and "love."

We have to have the interaction. We are supposed to keep our mind and spirit separate, that much is true, but physically we should be out and about, showing people what and who God is and how He works. We are supposed to be servants, as Christ was, to the people.

If we have to have PEACE and QUIET at all times, what does that show, anyway? Nothing much. We don't actually get closer to God until we have those experiences with ALL those other humans out there. Getting our hands messy.

Sometimes, the prophets of old had to wander. They had a specific job to do, and it took a lot of time and energy; they kept themselves away from the people for a purpose. I find that helpful for myself, as well. I needed to separate from the noise of humanity for various reasons that I don't really want to go into here, but it should never become a way of life. Where is the SALT, then? What purpose does it have. To FLAVOR.

Last edited by herefornow; 04-21-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,181,158 times
Quote:
If the congregation is not being fed the Truth, then it is her obligation to contend for the Faith...Boldly...
Hi Richard,

I agree but I know her stance is the opposite of what I believe. The history of the battle goes back centuries. I would say most churches are more in line with her beliefs than churches that are not, so finding a home should be easy.

I donít think church is the right place to battle over legalism vs. grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity