U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 PM

5,743 posts, read 4,596,824 times

Advertisements

Just my .02
No bacon in heaven.
sorry.

Isaiah 11:9

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:00 AM

45 posts, read 39,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Just my .02
No bacon in heaven.
sorry.

Isaiah 11:9

Ya, wishful thinking, huh? Ah well, everyone there will be too happy to think about bacon and no need for it. I'll just enjoy it while I'm here on Earth.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,406,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because it makes "public" our faith in Christ.

Matthew 10

32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.
JimmieJ.... do you think this is a permanent disowning? Because I see that peter denied him publicly and yet went on to preach in his name... Peter must've felt awful.

I wonder whether this is a statement of fact or just a statement of consequence regarding the Peter thing.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,406,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamamma View Post
Ya, wishful thinking, huh? Ah well, everyone there will be too happy to think about bacon and no need for it. I'll just enjoy it while I'm here on Earth.
I wanna try chocolate covered bacon... it sounds gross and delicious at the same time...

Question for you bellamamma....or well anyone.

Do you believe that all people will be perfect in heaven or is it acheivable here on earth. By perfect I mean complete not flawless. IOW do you think God's work is only complete after one dies?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,577,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Do you believe that all people will be perfect in heaven or is it acheivable here on earth. By perfect I mean complete not flawless. IOW do you think God's work is only complete after one dies?
You're alluding to the fact that 'perfect' in scripture means to be fully grown, not necessarily without flaw. I think when we fulfill (complete) our purpose and overcome our particular (individual) challenges then that is perfection.
AISI obtaining the peace of KNOWING we are complete despite all evidence to contrary is the epitome of faith.
"Few there be who find it"

Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,464,672 times
Quote:

Dr. Wayne Dyer... Have you heard of him?
Yup. Love the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj

I believe Dr. Dyer calls it divine presence. (had to chuckle as I fixed the typo diving presence )
Perhaps June needs to acquire a divine diving presence?

Quote:

"There is a voice in the Universe urging us to remember...This is the voice of inspiration, which is within each and every one of us."
Dyer's quote reminded June of this: "Yahweh" = "I Am Who I Am."

Quote:

I wonder if love can qualify.
Perhaps love could qualify, if we truly knew what it was, and how to.

Quote:

Could the pure act of loving someone be a god, much like creativity/art?
Could the 'pure act of loving someone' be a god? In June's opinion, no. Perhaps the closest her mind could come to accepting that (if a god existed) would be to say that perhaps it is within the 'pure act of loving someone' (and/or being loved by someone) that one could somehow perceive glimpses of the manifestation of 'god.' (If one existed.)

Quote:

There is much are in nature and sometimes it strikes me that the author of such creativity must exist...
June has the feeling that man's ability to create is not merely limited to brain activity/functioning or applied/learned knowledge and technique. It has to come from somewhere else, as well, co-mingled with a number of factors from within...

Quote:

That is why I am an odd theist, but a theist nonetheless.
June does not know what an "odd theist" is, but she is willing to bet that you are no more of an odd theist than she is an odd atheist. (Although she is!)

You may think of yourself as being odd, but you came very close to getting --in part-- what June had meant by experiential union/unison.

Take gentle Friday care.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 AM

45 posts, read 39,972 times
Quote:
I wanna try chocolate covered bacon... it sounds gross and delicious at the same time...

Question for you bellamamma....or well anyone.

Mmmmmm.....chocolate covered bacon.....never thought of that. Sounds yummy!

Perfect in Heaven? Well, I think everyone will be without sin, as it says there will be no sin in Heaven, so if that makes everyone perfect, then I guess so. It's just always stuck in my head that only God is perfect, but if you look at it as having no sin, then yes. No, I don't think anyone can be perfect here on Earth.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM

15,246 posts, read 8,273,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, well I disagree, but thanks for explaining. I always thought it was for the remission of sins.

I keep coming back and adding comments to this post. (Sorry everybody. I hope nobody quotes me till I'm done!) Are you saying that we are to be baptized so that everyone who witnesses the event will know that we have faith? Now that you've gone that far, though, can you point me to any verses in the Bible where baptism is described as having this as its purpose? I'm not aware of any, but I manage to learn something new almost every day.
I don't believe any "work" we can do has any saving power. God alone saves us through Jesus.

Yes, baptism is a public expression of our faith.

No verses where baptism specifically is described that way. However, I refer back to the earlier passage in Matthew 10.

Based on God's character, I cannot believe He would not extend grace to a unbaptized believer.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 AM

15,246 posts, read 8,273,272 times
Quote:
JimmieJ.... do you think this is a permanent disowning? Because I see that peter denied him publicly and yet went on to preach in his name... Peter must've felt awful.

I wonder whether this is a statement of fact or just a statement of consequence regarding the Peter thing.
I believe this refers to one who is a "friend of the world", as opposed to a child of God. Hence, my use of this passage regarding baptism. Peter was obviously a child of God, & not a "friend of the world".

Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,969,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamamma View Post
I believe your correct

Nevertheless,
The sensory experience of culinary bliss that is enjoyed in this world, is merely a pale reflection of the experience of heaven.

So figuratively speaking, the beautiful bliss of bacon will only increase in the heavenly "kitchen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or