U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,562,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hey if there were no teachers, no one could become a doctor or lawyer!

We are all members of the body, but doing different functions important for the whole. Is the foot more important than the knees? Is the belly button less important than the funny bone?
Teachers are wonderful.

Belly button or funny bone. Hmmmm that one is tough.. I hit my funny bone (elbow) and my arm still hurts! I prefer belly buttons actually....

That leads me to a question: What is the "funny bone" for anyway?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 PM

4,054 posts, read 2,124,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

To freak us out and make us say weird stuff like ...
"GAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

That is the freakiest sensation, when that funny bone gets hit.
GAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,334,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
To freak us out and make us say weird stuff like ...
"GAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

That is the freakiest sensation, when that funny bone gets hit.
GAHHHHH!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!spaaaaarrow....you did again

Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 PM

45 posts, read 24,631 times
Quote:

I know, nothing funny about it when you hit it. It's actually not even the bone. It's a nerve running along there that you hit that causes the pain and tingling. Yes, I have a medical background

Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
my grandmother is an atheist (we don't talk about religion around her even though I agree with most of what she says, except her Sylvia Brown obsession!)
This actually kind of cracks me up that she's obsessed with Sylvia Brown, yet is an atheist, because I just saw a book the other day by SB that said it was stuff that God was telling her. Okay then...... I think SB is a nutcase.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And you have a LOT of company in your camp. It makes me wonder, though, why so many people have such a negative view of ritual. I know the Catholics don't, but almost all Protestants do. Personally, I believe there is a time and a place for ritual. I don't believe there is any point of ritual for ritual's sake or ritual done as a matter of pomp and circumstance. But rituals are generally symbolic and when their symbolism teaches us something or serves to strengthen our commitment to someone or something, I think there can be value in them. I see this as being one of the reasons for baptism. It cements in our minds the covenant we have entered into with our Savior. The second reason I see for baptism is simple obedience to what we were told we must do.
I agree. This also makes me think of the "ritual" of communion. Same sort of thing.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 AM

6,805 posts, read 4,562,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamamma View Post
This actually kind of cracks me up that she's obsessed with Sylvia Brown, yet is an atheist, because I just saw a book the other day by SB that said it was stuff that God was telling her. Okay then...... I think SB is a nutcase.
I've tried mentioning that to her....but to no avail...

Old 04-24-2010, 06:24 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,128,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamamma View Post
I agree. This also makes me think of the "ritual" of communion. Same sort of thing.
As a Catholic, I'm no stranger to ritual.

I was having a discussion a while ago via DM, with a member regarding my beliefs, and I said the the Catholic Church fits my nature.

I'm one who is helped in my worship, when ALL of me is involved.
Catholic ritual involves all of the senses. Sight, smell, touch, hearing etc..

If anyone has bought an aromatherapy candle, you might know what I'm talking about. Or when the seasons change, or when you hear one of the oldie but goldies songs.

The singing of Psalms, the incense, and the tactile nature of our worship serves to bring this old rebelious soul into communion with my Lord.

Our good Lord does not require ritual, but it helps this child of His.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:28 AM

290 posts, read 196,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Um, not exactly. Its only through Christ son of God that anyone can be saved. But its also only through Christ son of God that anyone will ultimately learn how to love fully.

And like I said, its not about getting to "heaven". The scriptures barely speak about "getting into heaven". What the scriptures speak about is entering the Kingdom of heaven, which is an entirely different matter IMHO (which I won't get into right now). Spidr, when you speak about "going to heaven" are you visualizing a fancy city in the clouds with streets of gold and chocolate fountains? Forget about that. That is the carnal man-made view of a heavenly paradise to satisfy all his earthly desires. Our purpose is not to live nicely and follow Christ here on earth so we can later gorge ourselves on chocolate in heaven.

Here is the purpose of it all: God is creating a family - He wants His family to be like Him, so He is making us to be like Him. In order to be like God, we be must be made in His image, which is LOVE. Part of this includes understanding good and evil. Understanding good and evil is required so we will learn to LOVE. This involves us going through many trials and judgments through fire (metaphorically speaking here), where we will be "refined". It will happen for every person, each in their own order (not necessarily all in this life either), and then God will be all in all.
Aaah okay, I understand...Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, "virtually." The Bible speaks of one sin that cannot be forgiven in either this life or the life to come, and that is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. I suppose we could explore in greater depth what that sin really is. I know I've heard a million different interpretations of it myself. We believe that blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is the denial of the truth when it comes in such a form that it would be essentially "undeniable." Lousy explanation, I know. What I'm getting at is that all of us walk in faith. We believe what we believe because of faith, and not because we have absolutel proof. But consider the Apostle Peter, though. He was present at Christ's Transfiguration. He was a witness to an event that could hardly be explained to be anything other than absolute proof that God exists and that Jesus Christ was His Only Begotten Son. Had Peter denied what He saw that day, in light of the reality of it, he (according to LDS doctrine) would have committed blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. So, to us, the number of people who have every lived who have even been in a position to be able to do so is miniscule. Assuming that there may be a handful among the billions of people who have ever lived who have done so, I used the word "virtual." Anyway, aside from those people, and the devil and his angels who were cast out of heaven long ago, we believe that everyone else will go to Heaven.

It's certainly not an obscure doctrine, though. It's understood and accepted as true by the general membership of the Church and is definitely one of our "official" teachings. We believe in a Heaven that is divided into three kingdoms or "degrees of glory." Paul spoke of these (I'd have to look it up and I don't have time right now.) when he was teaching of the resurrection. He referred to two of them by name: the Celestial Glory (like that of the sun), the Terrestrial Glory (like that of the moon) and another, which we know as the Telestial Glory (like that of the stars). We believe everyone will attain one of these three degrees of glory, based upon their faithfulness and obedience. I can go into it more if you'd like. I'll just leave it at that for now.
Thanks! I'll look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Only those who have been born again, that is, placed their faith in the redemptive work of Jesus, will gain heaven. This must take place in this life; no chance offered after this life is over.

Baptism has no saving power, but is merely an outward sign of an inward change. It is very important & should be done ASAP after conversion.

That's my 2 cents.
Every cent counts

Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM

823 posts, read 602,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As a Catholic, I'm no stranger to ritual.

I was having a discussion a while ago via DM, with a member regarding my beliefs, and I said the the Catholic Church fits my nature.

I'm one who is helped in my worship, when ALL of me is involved.
Catholic ritual involves all of the senses. Sight, smell, touch, hearing etc..

If anyone has bought an aromatherapy candle, you might know what I'm talking about. Or when the seasons change, or when you hear one of the oldie but goldies songs.

The singing of Psalms, the incense, and the tactile nature of our worship serves to bring this old rebelious soul into communion with my Lord.

Our good Lord does not require ritual, but it helps this child of His.
Hi Oakback...I understand what you are saying here. I was brought up Catholic and I too always felt that the singing and the incense together connected me to God. This is one of my favourite hymns:

MAKE ME A CHANNEL OF YOUR PEACE

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there is hatred let me bring your love
Where there is injury, your pardon Lord
And where there is doubt true faith in You

Where there is despair in life let me bring hope
Where there is darkness only light
And where there's sadness ever joy

Oh, Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
It is in giving to all men that we receive
And in dying that we are born to eternal life

Last edited by SisterKat; 04-24-2010 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: spacing edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity