U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love papists.

I don't know if I've said this to you, but I have to other LDS members;

But when I started my discussion with the Mormon elder within the temple grounds in salt lake city, I started by saying that I take on faith that some old jewish guy walked up a mountain in the middle east. A bush caught on fire, but didn't burn, he spoke to God, and walked down the mountain with stone tablets upon which were written instructions from God.
So who am I to say that some guy named John didn't find some tablets in New York?

We all take some things on faith. It's the fruit of that faith that I'm concerned with. And the fruit of that man in salt lake city was IMO, very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 PM

21,265 posts, read 20,872,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

I don't know if I've said this to you, but I have to other LDS members;

But when I started my discussion with the Mormon elder within the temple grounds in salt lake city, I started by saying that I take on faith that some old jewish guy walked up a mountain in the middle east. A bush caught on fire, but didn't burn, he spoke to God, and walked down the mountain with stone tablets upon which were written instructions from God.
So who am I to say that some guy named John didn't find some tablets in New York?
Good point. (Except that it wasn't John!)

Quote:
We all take some things on faith. It's the fruit of that faith that I'm concerned with. And the fruit of that man in salt lake city was IMO, very good.
We all take a lot of things on faith. Years ago, I was a building hostess (i.e. "tour guide") on the 26th floor observation deck of the LDS Church Headquarters office building just east of Temple Square. We were given strict instructions not to proselytize and most of us were very grateful for those instructions, since we were just a bunch of wives and moms who wanted to get out of the house once a week and get to meet people who were visiting our city. We were told that it was okay for us to answer questions people asked but otherwise, just to stick to pointing out the sights of the city and offering advice on the tourist attractions in the area. One day a man and woman from New York City stopped by. I was chatting with them about the "prescribed topics" when they took me totally off guard by asking some doctrinal questions. Seriously, this almost never happened. I stumbled over a discussion of the beginnings of Mormonism and then concluded with what must have sounded like almost an apology. I told them that I knew that what I had just told them must have sounded like genuine looney tunes to them. The man looked at me and said pretty much what you just said. I was so grateful to him for not laughing at me or criticizing me. I have since reminded a whole lot of Christians that they have no trouble whatsoever believing that a virgin gave birth to the Son of God. Why should the idea that God spoke to a young boy who went to Him with a question seem so outlandish. I was a building hostess for 11 years. I still remember that man's and woman's names. I can't remember the name of one other guest I met in all that time. I remember one more thing about the man. It was in June of '98 that I met him. He told me he worked on the 66th floor of one of the twin towers.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,831 times
Quote:
Good point. (Except that it wasn't John!)

We all take a lot of things on faith. Years ago, I was a building hostess (i.e. "tour guide") on the 26th floor observation deck of the LDS Church Headquarters office building just east of Temple Square. We were given strict instructions not to proselytize and most of us were very grateful for those instructions, since we were just a bunch of wives and moms who wanted to get out of the house once a week and get to meet people who were visiting our city. We were told that it was okay for us to answer questions people asked but otherwise, just to stick to pointing out the sights of the city and offering advice on the tourist attractions in the area. One day a man and woman from New York City stopped by. I was chatting with them about the "prescribed topics" when they took me totally off guard by asking some doctrinal questions. Seriously, this almost never happened. I stumbled over a discussion of the beginnings of Mormonism and then concluded with what must have sounded like almost an apology. I told them that I knew that what I had just told them must have sounded like genuine looney tunes to them. The man looked at me and said pretty much what you just said. I was so grateful to him for not laughing at me or criticizing me. I have since reminded a whole lot of Christians that they have no trouble whatsoever believing that a virgin gave birth to the Son of God. Why should the idea that God spoke to a young boy who went to Him with a question seem so outlandish. I was a building hostess for 11 years. I still remember that man's and woman's names. I can't remember the name of one other guest I met in all that time. I remember one more thing about the man. It was in June of '98 that I met him. He told me he worked on the 66th floor of one of the twin towers.
I'm sorry. Joseph ( not John)
Loved your reflections of working as a hostess,
Until the last sentence

We can only pray , the Good Lord willing ( and I believe he is ) that man is now doing just fine.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,202,746 times
I love this thread..Hugs to all

Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,415,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Glad to hear it

Your "no debate" thread has been a real gift to me. And we really can learn from each other.

Do what I do. No matter how bad the Christianity forum feels, go over to the atheist forum, place a couple posts,then come back here.

It'll feel all warm and fuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yay!! Now you've made my day!! It started out great with another sweet dm from a non-believer (how great is that!!) and now this.....what a wonderful day this has been! No, we are not done with you and we never will be Katzpur.....you're special in our eyes and in God's.
Amen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I love this thread..Hugs to all
God does work in mysterious ways...hugs to you too Miss Blue...

btw - Katzpur...see what you've done teaching me how to utilize multiple quotes...LOL!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,720,996 times
Quote:
I love papists.
Sorry for the silence that appeared we agreed about the cult thing, Katzpur. I've heard Baptist preachers say that Catholicism is a cult, too, so go figure. I would say something is a "cult," meaning not Christian, if it didn't teach that Jesus is the Son of God and He died for our sins.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Sorry for the silence that appeared we agreed about the cult thing, Katzpur. I've heard Baptist preachers say that Catholicism is a cult, too, so go figure. I would say something is a "cult," meaning not Christian, if it didn't teach that Jesus is the Son of God and He died for our sins.
See, I don't see "cult" as meaning "not Christian." To me, that doesn't even factor in to the equation. To me, a cult is a group that exercises mind control, particularly in attempting to isolate its members from their friends and families and that uses threats of any sort to maintain this isolation. I don't see Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, etc. as doing this. They don't worship Jesus Christ, but I don't believe that makes them cults.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,386,559 times
Katzpur... Help me out here please, if you can!

I get confused about LDS, JW, and Mormon.... What is the difference if any.

It sounds stupid but I guess I never really researched it. I know the JW's are the ones who go door to door so I guess they are not Mormons but what about Latter day saints? See how confused I am? I think?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,720,996 times
Quote:
See, I don't see "cult" as meaning "not Christian." To me, that doesn't even factor in to the equation. To me, a cult is a group that exercises mind control, particularly in attempting to isolate its members from their friends and families and that uses threats of any sort to maintain this isolation. I don't see Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, etc. as doing this. They don't worship Jesus Christ, but I don't believe that makes them cults.
I agree! Sorry that I worded that wrong. What I meant was if a group claims to be Christian, but yet they don't believe that Jesus is the Son of God and died for our sins, then I wouldn't consider them a true Christian belief system. So if Mormons or Catholics, for example, just believed Jesus was a good man but not God's son, I would think that could be a cult, but that's not the case obviously. I hope that makes sense. No, I don't think the religions you mentioned are cults. I also believe it's a cult if it's mind control, etc., like you said. If they are killing themselves to be hoisted up by the mother ship, that's the best example of a cult, IMO.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Katzpur... Help me out here please, if you can!

I get confused about LDS, JW, and Mormon.... What is the difference if any.
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Yup, you ARE confused!

Quote:
It sounds stupid but I guess I never really researched it. I know the JW's are the ones who go door to door so I guess they are not Mormons but what about Latter day saints? See how confused I am? I think?
"The Latter-day Saints" are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are also called "Mormons" because of their belief in a volume of scripture known as "The Book of Mormon." (There is no such thing as "the Mormon Church;" people looking it up in the phone book find it very frustrating when they can't find the listing.) We generally prefer to be called Latter-day Saints or LDS for short, but very few of us object to being called Mormons. (We do get rather irate, though, when the middle 'm' in "Mormon" is intentionally dropped. ) The Jehovah's Witnesses (also called JWs) are a different denomination entirely. Actually, both groups go door to door, but the Latter-day Saints do so less frequently than they used to, instead relying on referrals from members of the Church whose friends have asked them to have the missionaries call on them.

One other point worth making: When you hear about "Mormon polygamists," please be aware that they are not members of our Church. They belong to one of several small groups that have broken off of our Church over the years. We do not consider them to be members of our Church any more than Catholics consider Protestants to be members of their Church. Oh, and by the way... Latter-day Saint men can have only one wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or