U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,961,166 times

Advertisements

C.S Lewis wrote a book entitled "The Problem with Pain" where among other things, he discusses animal suffering and animals place in the "kingdom". Very interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 AM

21,278 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Hi All, I donít know whether someone answered this question with scripture or not yet (have not read the whole tread yet) but scripture tells us animals have souls.

The word soul in the Hebrew is nephesh, the same nephesh/soul that man has.

Compare Gen.1:24 & 1:30 with Gen.2:7

Genesis 1:24
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature/nephesh/soul after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

Genesis 1:30
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life/nephesh/soul, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Genesis 2:7
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul/nephesh/creature.

The word nephesh is used over 700 times in the OT and makes NO distinction between man and animals. Do a word search and check it out, nephesh is used for both.

Are animals then saved?

The ark (Noahís) is a type of Christ, all who are in Christ are saved.
Both man and animal were saved in the ark.

Seems to me animals benefit from Christ just as man does; howbeit, there is a difference in the manner of being saved. Man is saved out of their sins and death, animals do not sin but are saved out of death.

Anyway, thatís my two cents.

God bless
I like that, pneuma! (Maybe it's because it corresponds so closely to my belief.)

Old 05-02-2010, 10:05 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,750,368 times
Quote:
Hi All, I donít know whether someone answered this question with scripture or not yet (have not read the whole tread yet) but scripture tells us animals have souls.

24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature/nephesh/soul after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life/nephesh/soul, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul/nephesh/creature.

The word nephesh is used over 700 times in the OT and makes NO distinction between man and animals. Do a word search and check it out, nephesh is used for both.

Are animals then saved?

The ark (Noahís) is a type of Christ, all who are in Christ are saved.

Seems to me animals benefit from Christ just as man does; howbeit, there is a difference in the manner of being saved. Man is saved out of their sins and death, animals do not sin but are saved out of death.

Anyway, thatís my two cents.

God bless
Thanks Pneuma, that's what I believe also. I think we can all count on seeing our departed, beloved animals when we leave this earth.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 AM

21,278 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
C.S Lewis wrote a book entitled "The Problem with Pain" where among other things, he discusses animal suffering and animals place in the "kingdom". Very interesting read.
I love C.S. Lewis, even though he's not the easiest to read. I would really like to get a copy of that book, though.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,961,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love C.S. Lewis, even though he's not the easiest to read. I would really like to get a copy of that book, though.

He was one of my favorites. Read almost all of his works over the years.

I've given away most of them though.

Heard it said the only books I get to take to heaven, are the ones I lent out, and were never returned

Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 AM

6,643 posts, read 3,994,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I like that, pneuma! (Maybe it's because it corresponds so closely to my belief.)

Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 AM

6,643 posts, read 3,994,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Thanks Pneuma, that's what I believe also. I think we can all count on seeing our departed, beloved animals when we leave this earth.
Your welcome Ilene.

Reading this thread I see God is doing a work in your life.

What a wonderful God we serve

Keep seeking sis and ye shall find.

God bless

Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 AM

823 posts, read 1,081,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I think it was the movie god father, or something like that, where we see murderous gangsters doing the same thing.

I'm a convert, but for many catholics it appears that their religion is as much of a cultural institution as a faith system.

I suspect if I had been born and raised catholic, the true beauty of the sacraments would have become blurred by meaningless ritual.

Do all catholics believe that confession, a few hail mary's, and communion, and all is forgiven?

That's complicated. Who am I to say Christ has not forgiven them. But I can't help to remember Christ's words to return to your brother and make things right before returning to the "alter".

IMHO, true sorrow ( contrition), and a sincere desire to repent is intregal to confession. Nevertheless, the sacrament of confession is available to all.

Let's pray, that at some point your relatives will one day really "get it".
Thank you for your response Oakback. So do Catholics repent to the Priest AND to God directly or is it sufficient just through the priest? When I was a little girl I only repented to the priest during confession and I rarely went to God.

Some of my fondest memories of the Catholic Church were the Sisters that I used to hang out with often.....as to why my name is "Sisterkat" They have played an integral role in my journey with God.

Yes, I do pray for my relatives but it is hard as they have brought great suffering to some of my family members and some of their dearest friends and they continue to do so and to me, from what I remember, I would NEVER take the body of Christ if I were in their position - but then again, who am I to judge.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 AM

5,738 posts, read 4,583,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post

I agree, that was an excellent post, Pneuma.
and we never love in vain..
Love never ends.
Reunion: the thoughts about it, the deep ponderings about it, gives such great glory to God. The deaths of our loved ones sparks the thoughts of reunion in our heart and in our soul. Grief sparks hope.
And that hope...is something God places in our hearts for a reason.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,416,374 times
Quote:
Hi All, I don’t know whether someone answered this question with scripture or not yet (have not read the whole tread yet) but scripture tells us animals have souls.

Are animals then saved?

The ark (Noah’s) is a type of Christ, all who are in Christ are saved.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.

God bless
Ahhh...but there is a distinction between man and beasts!

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils "the breath of life"; and man became a living soul.

If there is a living soul...then there must be a dead soul?

19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

This verse shows that the distinction is "THE BREATH OF LIFE" (Spirit) that the beasts do not have...rather, was formed from dust and became an animated being.

17 But the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The day Adam ate of the tree of knowing good and evil...he gave up the spirit which God breathed into his nostrils...and became an animated being...who was dead in the spirit.

Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he accounted of?

Luke 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury the dead.

The "good news" is that "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON TO DIE ON THE CROSS AS THE 'ULTIMATE RANSOM' FOR THE SIN OF MANKIND".

We are now reborn in the spirit of God...

Peace!

Last edited by ans57; 05-02-2010 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or