U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM

5,754 posts, read 4,605,909 times

Advertisements

Ecclesiastes 3:19For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

I'm not trying to persuade you. And that is just one measley little verse amongst many others. But it's the first thing that came to mind when I read what you wrote.

What you believe is what you believe.
But for me, I have unwavering faith that God's creatures are far more special to Him than mankind usually tends to think.
I didn't always feel this way. In the back of my mind, I hoped that they were... but now I really do have faith in it.
Sometimes in life, some of the hardest things we go through.. ends up bringing you to a new greater understanding of His love.

peace...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,431,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Ahhh...but there is a distinction between man and beasts!

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils "the breath of life"; and man became a living soul.

If there is a living soul...then there must be a dead soul?

19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

This verse shows that the distinction is "THE BREATH OF LIFE" (Spirit) that the beasts do not have...rather, was formed from dust and became an animated being.

17 But the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The day Adam ate of the tree of knowing good and evil...he gave up the spirit which God breathed into his nostrils...and became an animated being...who was dead in the spirit.

Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he accounted of?

Luke 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury the dead.

The "good news" is that "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON TO DIE ON THE CROSS AS THE 'ULTIMATE RANSOM' FOR THE SIN OF MANKIND".

We are now reborn in the spirit of God...

Peace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Ecclesiastes 3:19For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

I'm not trying to persuade you. And that is just one measley little verse amongst many others. But it's the first thing that came to mind when I read what you wrote.

What you believe is what you believe.
But for me, I have unwavering faith that God's creatures are far more special to Him than mankind usually tends to think.
I didn't always feel this way. In the back of my mind, I hoped that they were... but now I really do have faith in it.
Sometimes in life, some of the hardest things we go through.. ends up bringing you to a new greater understanding of His love.

peace...
I don't believe my post and your post contradict each other sparrow...

Blessings...ans

Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 PM

6,644 posts, read 4,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Ahhh...but there is a distinction between man and beasts!

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils "the breath of life"; and man became a living soul.

If there is a living soul...then there must be a dead soul?

19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

This verse shows that the distinction is "THE BREATH OF LIFE" (Spirit) that the beasts do not have...rather, was formed from dust and became an animated being.

17 But the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The day Adam ate of the tree of knowing good and evil...he gave up the spirit which God breathed into his nostrils...and became an animated being...who was dead in the spirit.

Isaiah 2:22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he accounted of?

Luke 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury the dead.

The "good news" is that "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON TO DIE ON THE CROSS AS THE 'ULTIMATE RANSOM' FOR THE SIN OF MANKIND".

We are now reborn in the spirit of God...

Peace!
The difference you are speaking of is the birth of Christ in ones life, I was speaking of the soul/nephesh which no disticntion is made, man without Christ is but a beast. Ecc.3:18-19 I beleive.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:31 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Thank you for your response Oakback. So do Catholics repent to the Priest AND to God directly or is it sufficient just through the priest? When I was a little girl I only repented to the priest during confession and I rarely went to God.

Some of my fondest memories of the Catholic Church were the Sisters that I used to hang out with often.....as to why my name is "Sisterkat" They have played an integral role in my journey with God.

Yes, I do pray for my relatives but it is hard as they have brought great suffering to some of my family members and some of their dearest friends and they continue to do so and to me, from what I remember, I would NEVER take the body of Christ if I were in their position - but then again, who am I to judge.
Remember please, I don' speak for the Church. It's doctrine is very easy to obtain these days thanks to the internet. I would recommend the Catechism or Catholic encyclopedia though.

I have never believed that the priest is a substitute for Christ. The priest is more of a witness, who with the authority given by the Bishop, can "loose and bind". It is not the priest granting forgiveness, it's Christ alone.

However, there is something very powerful about confessing with my mouth to another human being the sins that I may be very ashamed or embarressed by, and then hearing the words, "your sins have been forgiven"... I know Christ utters those words, and that's who I would like to audibly hear them from.
Nevertheless, hearing them from a representative of the Church doesn't make them any less meaningful.

I can't speak for those who willfully, or out of ignorance, abuse the gift.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM

21,313 posts, read 21,003,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Wow! I love that! Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 is my favorite Old Testament passage. I wonder why I never really spotted verse 19 before. That is a wonderful scripture.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,084,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Remember please, I don' speak for the Church. It's doctrine is very easy to obtain these days thanks to the internet. I would recommend the Catechism or Catholic encyclopedia though.

I have never believed that the priest is a substitute for Christ. The priest is more of a witness, who with the authority given by the Bishop, can "loose and bind". It is not the priest granting forgiveness, it's Christ alone.

However, there is something very powerful about confessing with my mouth to another human being the sins that I may be very ashamed or embarressed by, and then hearing the words, "your sins have been forgiven"... I know Christ utters those words, and that's who I would like to audibly hear them from.
Nevertheless, hearing them from a representative of the Church doesn't make them any less meaningful.

I can't speak for those who willfully, or out of ignorance, abuse the gift.
This makes sense. When I was young, I remember telling the priest that I had been bad that I had hit my little brother or didn't help my Mom with the dishes.....he was always sure to tell me that I needed to pray for forgiveness but I also needed to make amends with my little brother..... like you cannot just keep hurting someone and going to the priest for forgiveness without that someone knowing that you were remorseful.

I guess it must get a lot more interesting on what the priest hears as we all grow older

It makes sense though to be able to confess out loud....its like when I tell myself I really am going to start that running program. I can tell God and well he knows exactly when I procrastinate but if I tell a friend... it may force me to be a bit more accountable. I know this isn't a true comparison but it can make sense to confess to God and then have someone close to God, as a priest as your witness.

Thanks for your insight Oakback.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,973,589 times
Quote:
This makes sense. When I was young, I remember telling the priest that I had been bad that I had hit my little brother or didn't help my Mom with the dishes.....he was always sure to tell me that I needed to pray for forgiveness but I also needed to make amends with my little brother..... like you cannot just keep hurting someone and going to the priest for forgiveness without that someone knowing that you were remorseful.

I guess it must get a lot more interesting on what the priest hears as we all grow older

It makes sense though to be able to confess out loud....its like when I tell myself I really am going to start that running program. I can tell God and well he knows exactly when I procrastinate but if I tell a friend... it may force me to be a bit more accountable. I know this isn't a true comparison but it can make sense to confess to God and then have someone close to God, as a priest as your witness.

Thanks for your insight Oakback.

Your welcome..

So. Do you still hit your brother?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Your welcome..

So. Do you still hit your brother?
Are you kidding - he is 6'3" But I did tell him I was sorry

Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
The one common denominator that we have is that we Love God.

Can one really describe an "ecstasy of the soul"? For me, when I pray to God and am blessed by his Holy Spirit, I often will get the "goosebumps". This particular happening has no counterpart; it is unmatched among human events. But once it occurs, one knows beyond any doubt what the "new heart" really is and there is no mistaking it for anything else.

I am curious of what you feel with your new heart?
It seems to me that there are thousands of spiritual pathways and just as many interpretations of what feeling the Heavenly Father's Love is like. It is wonderful for us to share our feelings so others may get a glimmer of the possibilities of what to expect when they open their souls to wanting to know more about the Gift of Divine Grace and how to become at-One with God.

Sometimes I get a glimmer of why there are so many different points of view and I've come to the conclusion that it's because there are so many different levels of soul development, mind sets, beliefs, spiritual indoctrinations, etc. No wonder it's difficult to describe the grandeur of the God's Divine Love or even that It is available to every person through the earnest longings of their humble soul.

God will continue to bless all beloved souls with equal opportunity to become at-One with Him in Love. It is up to each individual person to seek truth with heartfelt sincerity and strive to develop the highest potential of their soul.

I continue seeking to develop my soul in God's Love and hoping to become a better example of love being manifested in my daily living.

God bless you each and every one. I pray that you are having a joyous and love-filled day.

PS: No one had responded to how they feel God's Love.....would love to hear from you

Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,431,309 times
Quote:
It seems to me that there are thousands of spiritual pathways and just as many interpretations of what feeling the Heavenly Father's Love is like. It is wonderful for us to share our feelings so others may get a glimmer of the possibilities of what to expect when they open their souls to wanting to know more about the Gift of Divine Grace and how to become at-One with God.

Sometimes I get a glimmer of why there are so many different points of view and I've come to the conclusion that it's because there are so many different levels of soul development, mind sets, beliefs, spiritual indoctrinations, etc. No wonder it's difficult to describe the grandeur of the God's Divine Love or even that It is available to every person through the earnest longings of their humble soul.

God will continue to bless all beloved souls with equal opportunity to become at-One with Him in Love. It is up to each individual person to seek truth with heartfelt sincerity and strive to develop the highest potential of their soul.

I continue seeking to develop my soul in God's Love and hoping to become a better example of love being manifested in my daily living.

God bless you each and every one. I pray that you are having a joyous and love-filled day.

PS: No one had responded to how they feel God's Love.....would love to hear from you
Kat...I agree...whenever I do an act for others (helping), be it spiritual or physical...or ask for the holy spirit's protection...I always get the loving goosebumps. Even when I'm just reading a passage in the scripture that touches the core of my being....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or