U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,813,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Okay, I'll go first.

I actually live in a Mormon area, my husband's family is Mormon, and I actually just had 2 Mormon guys show up at my door, which my son answered, and my son made an appointment for me to talk to them on Saturday!

Anyway, Mormons don't believe Jesus IS God, right? (My husband never went to church as long as I have known him, and he doesn't discuss Mormonism with me, so I think that is about all I know about Mormonism, besides people getting their own planets)

In reality, most people are truly confused by the trinity, and I don't have a whole lot of answers myself. So I am wondering what Mormons make of those verses.

John 1:1, 2, 3. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He (Christ, who is called the logos or WORD) was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only.
I'm not a Mormon but I am not a trinitarian. Here is how I explain John 1-
In the beginning was the Promise, and the Promise was with God, and the Promise was God. It was with God in the beginning. Through it all things were made; without it nothing was made that has been made.

The Promise became flesh and made it's dwelling among us. We have seen it's glory, the glory of the one and only.

Logos - a word (as embodying an idea), a statement, a speech

I like to use "Promise" or "Message."

Titus 1:2 a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,

Therefore I don't believe logos refers to a person but a message or promise. Jesus (flesh) carried and became the message. The message was God... Jesus carried God (the message) to the world but Jesus is not God.

My two cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Sola gratia:
grace is always efficacious without any cooperation by man
salvation comes by God's grace or "unmerited favor" only not as something merited by the sinner.
salvation is an unearned gift from God
salvation is by grace and to the exclusion of gratia universalis (that God seriously wills the salvation of all people).

Sola fide:
justification (interpreted in Protestant\Lutheran theology as, "being declared perfect, holy by God"), is received by faith only without any mixture of or need for good works
it is the means by which one is Justified
But a saving faith is expresses itself by our love for our neighbor and for God
But a saving faith is expresses itself by trusting in Solus Christus (Christ Alone)
I was WAAY off... Thanks for the explanation!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM

14,113 posts, read 10,066,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Actually, yes. My husband. But ruling a planet or something like that.
I think your husband needs to go back to church for a refresher course. Joking aside, I know what he's referring to but he's kind of putting his own spin on things. You are familiar with C.S. Lewis, I assume? Well, C.S. Lewis was definitely not LDS, but his belief was very similar to ours. Here it is, beautifully expressed, from "Mere Christianity":

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Anyway, I didn't see anything about everybody getting his own planet in that little quote and there is nothing in any of the LDS scriptures that says that, either. But if God wants to give me and my husband a planet, I guess I wouldn't turn Him down -- as long as it doesn't come with a golf course.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 PM

14,113 posts, read 10,066,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I was WAAY off... Thanks for the explanation!
So how so you understand those terms, kat? I've always thought of them as meaning "saved by faith alone" (sola fide) and "saved through grace alone" (sola gratia).

Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So how so you understand those terms, kat?
I didn't really know... I grew up protestant (in the backwoods) and those kinda words weren't said much....

I barely knew what sola scriptura (is that right?) was... so as far as being wrong.. I had a guess in my mind that they had something to do with scripture as well... I was way off....

Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM

9,502 posts, read 5,138,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I didn't really know... I grew up protestant (in the backwoods) and those kinda words weren't said much....

I barely knew what sola scriptura (is that right?) was... so as far as being wrong.. I had a guess in my mind that they had something to do with scripture as well... I was way off....
Sola scriptura is the teaching that the Bible is the only inspired and authoritative word of God, is the only source for Christian doctrine.
Any other claim to authoritative word or revelations from God are false.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 PM

I have a question for the atheist...

Is there anything at all that would qualify in your mind as god-like? For example, energy is neither created nor destroyed... could energy qualify as god? I always wondered if some of you just don't like the word god as it implies religion....

I hope that made sense.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:21 AM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I have been taught that animals do not go to heaven also because they have no soul. This really saddens me because I have a 4 year old golden retriever that I love to pieces. Somewhere I remember reading though that if an animal has been loved to pieces that it will develop soul-like qualities.... but from what I understand there are no animals in heaven
Don't be sad! I strongly believe that since heaven is the most perfect existence possible that everything we need to be happy will be found there - including our pets

Think about it - as much as God loves the tiniest of creatures, HOW could He possibly deny our beloved pets entrance to heaven? He is so loving I just do not think it possibe that He would!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 AM

200 posts, read 134,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't be sad! I strongly believe that since heaven is the most perfect existence possible that everything we need to be happy will be found there - including our pets

Think about it - as much as God loves the tiniest of creatures, HOW could He possibly deny our beloved pets entrance to heaven? He is so loving I just do not think it possibe that He would!
And why in the world would there not be plenty of room for our pets in eternity? I grew up Baptist, I never really questioned it (I'm sure the answer would be "Sorry, no soul"), but when I look at one of my boxers in the eyes, see how she just wants to please her masters, how in the world could I possibly say she has no soul? If anything, her soul is so much purer than any human's!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 AM

200 posts, read 134,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's what my husband wants, but I keep telling him, "THERE IS NO GOLF IN HEAVEN!!!!" I've had enough of being a golf widow already!
Please tell me there is football, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity