Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have a question for Catholics. I know that Protestants, for the most part, believe in Sola Scriptura, while Catholics do not. I understand -- in general terms -- that they believe instead in scripture plus holy tradition. What I would like to know is how tradition is established. I mean, as a Mormon, it makes sense to me that there are sources of truth other than the Bible. But how does the Catholic Church go about incorporating holy tradition into its doctrine? I wish I had some specific examples to give you, but the only thing that comes to mind right now are what I believe are known as the Marian doctrines. I'm thinking of things like Mary's immaculate conception, her perpetual virginity, her bodily ascension into Heaven, etc. They seem to have gained "official" status at various times throughout the history of the Church as opposed to having all been believed and practiced from the beginning. I'm wondering why these things would have just become doctrinal hundreds of years after Christ's death. I'm assuming it is "tradition" that they have always been taught, but how is this validated? Did my question make any sense at all?
I'm still a poor typer, and it would take me hours to take a shot at giving your question the time it deserves. However, you could just google the Catholic Encyclopedia. That would be a good start.
However, wouldn't sola scriptura and sola fide, also be considered traditions?
Isn't it said in scripture, that scripture doesn't contain everything? (John:21:25)
I believe we still don't collectively fully understand God's revelation, and that more will be revealed. And that will not come from additional scripture, but from additional understanding and enlightenment.
It seems to me, all faiths and religions have traditions that benefit their respective communities. Catholics are no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm still a poor typer, and it would take me hours to take a shot at giving your question the time it deserves. However, you could just google the Catholic Encyclopedia. That would be a good start.
However, wouldn't sola scriptura and sola fide, also be considered traditions?
Isn't it said in scripture, that scripture doesn't contain everything? (John:21:25)
I believe we still don't collectively fully understand God's revelation, and that more will be revealed. And that will not come from additional scripture, but from additional understanding and enlightenment.
It seems to me, all faiths and religions have traditions that benefit their respective communities. Catholics are no different.
There is no John:21:25

Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is no John:21:25
I am sure Oakback meant 1John 21:25..Simple typo He said he was a poor typist....

I like that verse..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
John 21:25
25. Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

There is no 1 John 21:25.....

Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Yuppers.

I is a pur tiepest

Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I have a question for the atheist...
Atheist/nonbelievers are also included in this thread!?

Wow. June's impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj

Is there anything at all that would qualify in your mind as god-like? For example, energy is neither created nor destroyed... could energy qualify as god? I always wondered if some of you just don't like the word god as it implies religion....

I hope that made sense.
As to whether there is anything in this atheist's mind that would qualify as 'god-like' in a word June would have to say: No. June's not much into science, so 'energy' doesn't particularly come up on her radar. June has no qualms with the word or concept "god;" it's just that she's never been able to believe in one.

Perhaps any possible answer to the question asked would be derived in a re-framing of it, in terms of asking whether there perhaps exists anything of an experiential nature that might come close to qualifying as that which could point towards a 'god.' --To which June could only say "doubtful, but maybe."

~The process of creativity. Art.

--And possibly certain types of experiential unison.

Take gentle 'thanks for asking' care.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Quote:
Yuppers.

I is a pur tiepest
an I is no bible literist..

Sorry about the mistake, I apologize..I do have a habit of relying on an old and fading memory

Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
an I is no bible literist..

Sorry about the mistake, I apologize..I do have a habit of relying on an old and fading memory
I hear ya.

Fading hair
Fading muscles
Fading eyesight
Fading hearing

and yes, fading memory.

It's a miracle I can get up and put my socks on in the mourning

Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Yuppers.

I is a pur tiepest
"Thou shalt not type with fingers that have recently handled bacon for purposes of thine own bacon consumption. Thou shalt experience fingers slipping upon the keyboard as a result, thus resulting in typos. Thou shalt only do so when wearing a hot coat."

~(taken from) The Gospel According to June

Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Exactly!! Additional understanding and enlightenment. I don't think we are growing spiritually if we are not seeking....seeking to understand that which we automatically, because of teaching, reject. We can learn a lot from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity