Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM

290 posts, read 388,561 times

Advertisements

I have a question for anyone and everyone:

According to your beliefs and churches, does everyone (including non-Christians and those who are unbaptised) have the chance of going to heaven after death? Or only those who follow Christ "completely" (as in baptism as well as belief). There seem to be different interpretations as to who goes to heaven and who doesn't.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post

According to your beliefs and churches, does everyone (including non-Christians and those who are unbaptised) have the chance of going to heaven after death? Or only those who follow Christ "completely" (as in baptism as well as belief). There seem to be different interpretations as to who goes to heaven and who doesn't.

Thanks!
Well as everyone pretty much knows now (nobody figured it out for a very long time ) I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We're the ones everybody calls "Mormons" (well, sometimes they make an intentional typo and leave out the middle "m"). It is my Church's official doctrine that virtually everybody will go to Heaven. We do believe in Heaven that is, for lack of a better word, "multi-tiered.") In other words, it will not be the same for everyone who is there, but it will be wonderful for all, and everyone will be very happy where they end up.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I"ll answer you with a question;

Do you believe that a perfectly just and Loving God,who loves you with a love that we can't fully comprehend
offer you a chance?

I do.

( And anyway, our LDS freinds have probably baptized you already )

Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well as everyone pretty much knows now (nobody figured it out for a very long time ) I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We're the ones everybody calls "Mormons" (well, sometimes they make an intentional typo and leave out the middle "m"). It is my Church's official doctrine that virtually everybody will go to Heaven. We do believe in Heaven that is, for lack of a better word, "multi-tiered.") In other words, it will not be the same for everyone who is there, but it will be wonderful for all, and everyone will be very happy where they end up.
We must have been typing at the same time

Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Ok, here's what I believe. It's all unraveling at the moment, but there are certain things that will always be part of my belief. I believe Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. I now believe that loving God and one another are forefront among anything that follows Jesus Christ. Jesus is first, loving God and one another is part of that. As far as doctrine, that's what has been turned upside down lately. I still believe that we are living in the end times and I still believe in a Rapture, but all of that has become secondary as of late.

The Holy Spirit has been showing me things that my eyes were blinded to before. Also, my heart. The disagreements between us all here at the forum have also become, well, secondary. It's just not important. Instead of judging and wanting to "correct" everyone, I want to hear why they believe like they do and I want to show them more love. That can only be the Holy Spirit. And because of this change I also have been rethinking what hell is all about.

ET doesn't make sense AT ALL to me anymore....actually it never did make sense. Why would our loving God destroy most of His creation? Yes, I fear God and His magnificence but I also know that He is full of the kind of love that we just can't begin to understand. A love that encompasses everything, if we could just connect to that in the smallest way then our lives here will be so much more precious and love-filled towards our fellow man. I've never been able to "feel" that towards others like I should have, but now I am beginning to and I like it!! Wow, how different people can look when you look at them through love and not contempt!!

I've experienced a transformation....again.....lately and I'm still in search of answers. I don't claim to have all of them like I did before. I think I'm going to have to change my moniker from "Warrior Princess" to "Wandering Princess"??!!

A special thanks to the universalists who have been most gracious and loving during my question and answer session.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:

Thanks!

Yes, but in general there is nothing left to "chance". All are saved through Jesus Christ because God promises that this will happen, so it is a matter of scriptural fact.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Ok, here's what I believe. It's all unraveling at the moment, but there are certain things that will always be part of my belief. I believe Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. I now believe that loving God and one another are forefront among anything that follows Jesus Christ. Jesus is first, loving God and one another is part of that. As far as doctrine, that's what has been turned upside down lately. I still believe that we are living in the end times and I still believe in a Rapture, but all of that has become secondary as of late.

The Holy Spirit has been showing me things that my eyes were blinded to before. Also, my heart. The disagreements between us all here at the forum have also become, well, secondary. It's just not important. Instead of judging and wanting to "correct" everyone, I want to hear why they believe like they do and I want to show them more love. That can only be the Holy Spirit. And because of this change I also have been rethinking what hell is all about.

ET doesn't make sense AT ALL to me anymore....actually it never did make sense. Why would our loving God destroy most of His creation? Yes, I fear God and His magnificence but I also know that He is full of the kind of love that we just can't begin to understand. A love that encompasses everything, if we could just connect to that in the smallest way then our lives here will be so much more precious and love-filled towards our fellow man. I've never been able to "feel" that towards others like I should have, but now I am beginning to and I like it!! Wow, how different people can look when you look at them through love and not contempt!!

I've experienced a transformation....again.....lately and I'm still in search of answers. I don't claim to have all of them like I did before. I think I'm going to have to change my moniker from "Warrior Princess" to "Wandering Princess"??!!

A special thanks to the universalists who have been most gracious and loving during my question and answer session.
Ilene, this is a class of testimony that you see only a hand full of times in your life - that grace and mercy would triumph over judgment. We are all being changed, and to find common ground with you at the foot of the Cross is an honor.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Sola gratia:
(that God seriously wills the salvation of all people).
I certainly agree - but that leads me to the question that continually is raised here on the forum, and I'm hoping that I can ask it humbly and respectively:

If we all agree that "God seriously wills the salvation of all people", how is it that scripture doesn't contradict itself?

(I can provide scripture, but I didn't want to hammer the point.)

Old 04-22-2010, 09:11 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post

Your words blessed me, Ilene.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Atheist/nonbelievers are also included in this thread!?

Wow. June's impressed!
I didn't get any memo's to the contrary..so I figured a belief or non-belief question is allowed.

Quote:
As to whether there is anything in this atheist's mind that would qualify as 'god-like' in a word June would have to say: No. June's not much into science, so 'energy' doesn't particularly come up on her radar. June has no qualms with the word or concept "god;" it's just that she's never been able to believe in one.

Perhaps any possible answer to the question asked would be derived in a re-framing of it, in terms of asking whether there perhaps exists anything of an experiential nature that might come close to qualifying as that which could point towards a 'god.' --To which June could only say "doubtful, but maybe."
Yeah... the question was sorta mixed up... it was late is my only excuse.

Quote:
~The process of creativity. Art.

--And possibly certain types of experiential unison.

Take gentle 'thanks for asking' care.
and thank you for the answer... is experiential unison that thing my kids do when they say "Jinx......1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.....you owe me a coke?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity