Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I had a friend in university who said he figured he best fit with Christian Scientists, but he was more of a "non-practicing" follower I think he just liked the idea of combining Christian views with Scientific views LOL! Nothing wrong with that, but I don't know exactly what they believe...

As for Scientology, that is a completely different story. It is decidedly not Christian. It is probably the perfect definition of a cult. I researched it about 10 years ago as I heard some stories about it and I learned they are doing some very bad things.

They believe something like this: an evil alien overlord called Xenu brought all humans to earth billions of years ago. I kid you NOT. Since then humans have been bound by "thetans" which cause us lots of problems.

The solution: pay lots of money for scientology therapy sessions to get rid of the thetans, and increase "levels" where you will ultimately learn the truth about Xenu (of course you can now read about it for free on the internet). Once you are in it is very hard to get out, as they put all sorts of pressure on you, cut you off from friends and family, blockade you, even physically separate you from others... all to keep the money coming in.

The scientology "church" is VERY intolerant of anyone asking questions, they have even gone so far as to launch major lawsuits to stop anyone who speaks negatively about them (or gives away the scoop about Xenu).

Scary stuff. I've read some testimonies about how people who were in Scientology and got out, pretty cult like stuff... I don't like to use the cult word much but Scientology certainly deserves it. Go to xenu.net if you want to read about it.
How in the world could seemingly intelligent people like John Travolta, Tom Cruise and Kirstie Alley (ok, Tom and Kirstie are questionable) fall for something as bizarre and ridiculous as this? I remember when John Travolta's son died how they talked about how he would be reincarnated into something else and his "life force" would just keep going.....thought that was bizarre too but I had no idea about the Xenu thing and all of that. It is definitely a cult. My ex-husband was involved in a cult when he was younger and to this day he will get very defensive if you call it a cult. Even if they come out of it, they will still get defensive. So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
How in the world could seemingly intelligent people like John Travolta, Tom Cruise and Kirstie Alley (ok, Tom and Kirstie are questionable) fall for something as bizarre and ridiculous as this? I remember when John Travolta's son died how they talked about how he would be reincarnated into something else and his "life force" would just keep going.....thought that was bizarre too but I had no idea about the Xenu thing and all of that. It is definitely a cult. My ex-husband was involved in a cult when he was younger and to this day he will get very defensive if you call it a cult. Even if they come out of it, they will still get defensive. So sad.
Simply a testament to the ability of the human mind to be deceived. Remember that great dragon, Satan? He deceives the whole world...

Scientology is one of the many lies in this world that some people believe because they have been badly deceived...

Also, as I understand it, the scientologist's try to keep the whole Xenu thing "on the low-down" - they try not to tell any of their members about Xenu until they have reached "higher levels" and are well into the brain-washing process they go through. Thus the reason they actually try to sue people for telling others about Xenu.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Scientology may very well be a cult. I wasn't saying they weren't. I just don't think that people are very objective sometimes when they use the word "cult." Most people seem to use it to describe any group they have strong negative feelings for. Scientology may have some very bizarre beliefs, but I don't think it would be their beliefs per se that make them a cult. It would be their tactics and methods.

(I'd like to stick around and talk. Unfortunately, it's a work day and I've got to go.)

Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Simply a testament to the ability of the human mind to be deceived. Remember that great dragon, Satan? He deceives the whole world...

Scientology is one of the many lies in this world that some people believe because they have been badly deceived...

Also, as I understand it, the scientologist's try to keep the whole Xenu thing "on the low-down" - they try not to tell any of their members about Xenu until they have reached "higher levels" and are well into the brain-washing process they go through. Thus the reason they actually try to sue people for telling others about Xenu.
That's weird. How it is that their members don't know about Xenu and yet everybody else does?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's weird. How it is that their members don't know about Xenu and yet everybody else does?
Well not everybody else does. I mean if you go on the internet and research it, you will find out all about Xenu - but most people don't do their own research (witness UR vs ET ).

Anyway I believe it works like this: they try to recruit young vulnerable people who have problems. Obviously these people shouldn't already know about Xenu. Even people within scientology at the lower levels don't know about the whole Xenu thing.

Basically its sold as sort of a "new-age" life-changing thing to get rid of your problems and give you purpose. This idea of "thetans" as spirits attached to your soul comes into play. You pay money (1000s of $$$) to have the thetan "audited", and as you go you achieve new "levels", and of course pay more and more money. When you get to a certain level, you are brain-washed enough to accept anything and then learn further truths about Xenu and whatever else they believe.

The Xenu story is supposed to be their "super-secret" top-level knowledge, that only those of the highest level obtain... and its supposed to explain the purpose of everything I guess... not sure exactly how or why it is used, but it is simply an "explanation" for why we are here and why there is evil I guess... not sure completely but it is bizarre and warped.

JMHO I may not have all the details exact, just going on memory from what I researched about 10 years ago. Read up on L. Ron Hubbard to see how Scientology started.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:

Yes, Satan is in the business of deceiving and I think the scientology community has been highly deceived. Maybe it's not a cult but it sure has all the qualities of one. Secrecy and the arrogance of the members are good indications. To me a cult is anything that is not of God and has a huge following. The word should not be offensive unless it applies to the ones getting offended. A cult doesn't like to be called a cult.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Secrecy and the arrogance of the members are good indications.
Good point - anything that has the smell of exclusion is a red flag, and that's why I cheer the Lord having mercy on all (ultimately, after He teaches us a lesson).

Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:

The issue here is larger than just some people who happened to start believing in scientology and they happened to be movie stars.

It is about scientology targeting famous people in ways they would not court the general public.

I rarely post links, so when I do, I find them very interesting.

I am NOT saying the link here is absolutely true, but I think the general gist of this article has some merit.

Scientology Recruits Hollywood

Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
A cult doesn't like to be called a cult.
Non-cults don't like to be called cults, either, but sometimes they are.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Non-cults don't like to be called cults, either, but sometimes they are.
When has that happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity