U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,384,960 times
Reputation: 1690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallcomm View Post
Eusebius....I am beginning to see this to.



Accually I have to agree with Finn on this one. There is actually a translation of scripture that states "to depart is to be with Christ." in that verse. It is the FJV translation, have you ever heard of it??
I have never heard of the FJV and I use Biblos.com which shows 14 different translations. Each one (and the commentaries) shows "and" not "is"..

But even so, why would Paul proclaim that it is better to depart (DIE) than to live??

Depart seems to mean to Loose for departure.

This whole verse seems to be useless without the rest of the chapter.

I have a feeling that Paul is telling of his struggle with his New man. IMO

 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 AM
 
309 posts, read 295,051 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
I have never heard of the FJV and I use Biblos.com which shows 14 different translations. Each one (and the commentaries) shows "and" not "is"..
Im sorry Katjonjj......I was just joking on this one. I thought it would be picked up on.

FJV = Finn_J Version

Once again, Im sorry
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,384,960 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallcomm View Post
Im sorry Katjonjj......I was just joking on this one. I thought it would be picked up on.

FJV = Finn_J Version

Once again, Im sorry
Ohhhhh you are going to get it now! I'm reporting you to the sarcasm mods!

LOL though.... now I see what your post REALLY meant..

Thanks for clarifying that before I started to google the FJV!
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:14 AM
 
309 posts, read 295,051 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that before I started to google the FJV!
I hope Eusebius is not googling it right now either...LOL..

Eusebius....Im sorry if you you didnt pick up on it.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,463 posts, read 31,862,344 times
Reputation: 9402
Ladies and gentlemen, what you are seeing here is a prime example of universalist bickering. When they realize they have lost the battle, they drop the topic entirely and start bickering about spelling errors, use of quotation marks or some other meaningless detail.

They must think this is a great tactic because they use it in almost every debate. To me it is childish, and an admission that they have no actual arguments to make.

Take your pick, use either "is" or "and" because it doesn't change the meaning in any way, and either way blows the universalist argument out of the water.

Over and out. I am done here
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
Reputation: 58197
There is no universalist bickering Finn. How do you get bickering from a joke? I thought it was quite humorous myself. Lighten up.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,384,960 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, what you are seeing here is a prime example of universalist bickering. When they realize they have lost the battle, they drop the topic entirely and start bickering about spelling errors, use of quotation marks or some other meaningless detail.

They must think this is a great tactic because they use it in almost every debate. To me it is childish, and an admission that they have no actual arguments to make.

Take your pick, use either "is" or "and" because it doesn't change the meaning in any way, and either way blows the universalist argument out of the water.

Over and out. I am done here
I guess I missed the part where you made a point... What does the verse mean to you? and how does that have anything to do with universalism? Besides that the thread isn't about universalism but HELL...

I guess we can just have all your posts labeled "OFF TOPIC" because you can't seem to explain why it applies to "HELL" which is the topic of this thread.

I hope everyone reading this thread can see the bigotry toward universalists in your posts which taints your opinion... but... regardless we have been trying to understand your point and obviously it makes little sense regarding the OP.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM
 
309 posts, read 295,051 times
Reputation: 60
Finn

Before you leave, I must say I am sorry for joking around here. I was wrong to do so. I just been asking simple questions here that have been dodged every time.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,720,734 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, what you are seeing here is a prime example of universalist bickering. When they realize they have lost the battle, they drop the topic entirely and start bickering about spelling errors, use of quotation marks or some other meaningless detail.

They must think this is a great tactic because they use it in almost every debate. To me it is childish, and an admission that they have no actual arguments to make.
As my kids would say, "Today must be Opposite Day."
 
Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,463 posts, read 31,862,344 times
Reputation: 9402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
There is no universalist bickering Finn. How do you get bickering from a joke? I thought it was quite humorous myself. Lighten up.
I am not talking about the joke, I am talking about the never ending BICKERING about some meaningless detail and/or spelling or translation issue. It always begins as soon as their misinformation has been exposed. It is nothing but a desperate attempt to change the subject.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-01-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top