U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Canada
6,644 posts, read 4,022,289 times
Reputation: 386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Indeed. The place of weeping and gnashing of teeth is also referred to as "furnace of fire". It is none other than the bad side of Hades, where the unbelievers, like the rich man, are being tortured, and were able to see Abraham etc in the good side. Now, of course Abraham is no longer there, so the unbelievers are weeping and gnashing their teeth on their own. And later, during the day of judgement, they will be transferred to the lake of fire, the permanent hell.

Can you imagine the torment they must have felt when they saw Christ descend to good side of Hades and talk to Abraham and other believers, and then see Christ lead them all to heaven. That must haven been the worst of the worst feelings because they knew they had been abandoned in Hades, the furnace of fire.
And what is the purpose of the "furnace of fire"?

To try them as gold is tried

When you fire gold it burns out all impurities.

 
Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,427,831 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
And what is the purpose of the "furnace of fire"?

To try them as gold is tried

When you fire gold it burns out all impurities.
Leaving the Pure GOLD.... Does the gold keep burning for eternity?
 
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Florida
58,774 posts, read 32,220,783 times
Reputation: 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
And what is the purpose of the "furnace of fire"?

To try them as gold is tried

When you fire gold it burns out all impurities.
Stick your hand in a campfire and see if the fire purifies it. Sigh.....
 
Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,704,547 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Stick your hand in a campfire and see if the fire purifies it. Sigh.....

Who said sticking their hand in a campfire purifies it?
 
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,499,353 times
Reputation: 990
Israel was in a furnace of fire when held by Egype over 400 years and I'm sure they wept and gnashed their teeth.

Were they in hell? No. Was Egypt a literal furnace? Again, no.

So those Israelites who are cast out of the Kingdom of Israel when Christ sets up His millennial kingdom on earth will have to live among the nations and outside the blessings of the kingdom.

All furnace of fire means is it is representative of severe trials and severe living conditions such as the Israelites found themselves in while held captive in Egypt.

Oh and by the way, every Israelite was ransomed, sciotamicks and so they were all freed from Egypt. Fast forward to 1 Timothy 2:4-6 where Christ ransomed all mankind.
 
Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,728,093 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Also, if you notice it was those who were invited that didn't show up so it ended with those NOT INVITED that are at the wedding.. how does that fit your paradigm?

Have you ever researched what "weeping and gnashing of teeth" meant to those who wrote it or do you assume it was written from your point of view?
There is a study here:
Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth
Great point, Kat!
 
Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Florida
58,774 posts, read 32,220,783 times
Reputation: 9484
Jesus said :

36Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, "Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field."

37He answered, "The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man.

38The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, 39and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

40"As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Mat 13:36-42)
 
Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,728,093 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The us is anyone who chooses to ask Him to forgive them of their sins and into their heart, ALL not NOT going to do that.
ILNC, you might be surprised to find out that repentance isn't a requirement of salvation. Mike555, who you are a fan of, posted that little tidbit also. One verse that some contribute to that belief is: Acts 2:38:

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.


This causes the arguments among those who believe you must be baptized to be saved. However, the problem with this concept is that the Greek word for remission is "aphiemi," which has the meanings listed below. So, repenting makes you want to stop sinning, so you stop sinning, and the sins go away.
  1. to send away
    1. to bid going away or depart
      1. of a husband divorcing his wife
    2. to send forth, yield up, to expire
    3. to let go, let alone, let be
      1. to disregard
      2. to leave, not to discuss now, (a topic) 1c
  2. of teachers, writers and speakers
      1. to omit, neglect
    1. to let go, give up a debt, forgive, to remit
    2. to give up, keep no longer
  3. to permit, allow, not to hinder, to give up a thing to a person
  4. to leave, go way from one
    1. in order to go to another place
    2. to depart from any one
    3. to depart from one and leave him to himself so that all mutual claims are abandoned
    4. to desert wrongfully
    5. to go away leaving something behind
    6. to leave one by not taking him as a companion
    7. to leave on dying, leave behind one
    8. to leave so that what is left may remain, leave remaining
    9. abandon, leave destitute
Source: Aphiemi - Greek Lexicon
 
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,443 posts, read 29,646,099 times
Reputation: 29995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
ILNC, you might be surprised to find out that repentance isn't a requirement of salvation. Mike555, who you are a fan of, posted that little tidbit also. One verse that some contribute to that belief is: Acts 2:38:

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.


This causes the arguments among those who believe you must be baptized to be saved. However, the problem with this concept is that the Greek word for remission is "aphiemi," which has the meanings listed below. So, repenting makes you want to stop sinning, so you stop sinning, and the sins go away.
  1. to send away
    1. to bid going away or depart
      1. of a husband divorcing his wife
    2. to send forth, yield up, to expire
    3. to let go, let alone, let be
      1. to disregard
      2. to leave, not to discuss now, (a topic) 1c
  2. of teachers, writers and speakers
      1. to omit, neglect
    1. to let go, give up a debt, forgive, to remit
    2. to give up, keep no longer
  3. to permit, allow, not to hinder, to give up a thing to a person
  4. to leave, go way from one
    1. in order to go to another place
    2. to depart from any one
    3. to depart from one and leave him to himself so that all mutual claims are abandoned
    4. to desert wrongfully
    5. to go away leaving something behind
    6. to leave one by not taking him as a companion
    7. to leave on dying, leave behind one
    8. to leave so that what is left may remain, leave remaining
    9. abandon, leave destitute
Source: Aphiemi - Greek Lexicon
What doesn't surprise me anymore is how much of the Bible you don't believe.
 
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
 
309 posts, read 296,367 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Blessed are they who Finn has on his ignore list for, yea, I tell ye the truth, such are not tormented by his accusations and endless inuendos.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top