U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Mike555 wrote:
The Scriptures say otherwise. The Bible flat out states that those who are thrown into the lake of fire are there eternally. 2 Thess 1:9; Matt 25:41,46; Rev. 20:10
Dear Mike, can you prove they are there eternally?

2 Thess.1:9 (CLV) who shall incur the justice of eonian extermination (pertaining to the eons) from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of His strength"

(YLT) who shall suffer justice--destruction age-during--from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his strength,

Matt.25:41 (CLV) Then shall He be declaring to those also at His left, 'Go from Me, you cursed, into the fire eonian, made ready for the Adversary and his messengers."

(WNT) "Then will He say to those at His left, "'Begone from me, with the curse resting upon you, into the Fire of the Ages, which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels.

(YLT) Then shall he say also to those on the left hand, Go ye from me, the cursed, to the fire, the age-during, that hath been prepared for the Devil and his messengers;

Matt.25:46 (CLV) And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian."

(WNT) "And these shall go away into the Punishment of the Ages, but the righteous into the Life of the Ages."

(YLT) And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'

Rev.20:10 (ALT) And the Devil, the one leading them astray [fig., deceiving them], was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur [or, brimstone], where the beast and the false prophet [are], and they will be tormented day and night into the ages of the ages [fig., forever and ever].

(CLV) And the Adversary who is deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and sulphur, where the wild beast and where the false prophet are also. And they shall be tormented day and night for the eons of the eons."

(WNT) and the Devil, who had been leading them astray, was thrown into the Lake of fire and sulphur where the Wild Beast and the false Prophet were, and day and night they will suffer torture until the Ages of the Ages.

(YLT) and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night--to the ages of the ages.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM

957 posts, read 715,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Its certainly teaching you patience, no?

lego, I wish it was, I really do. All it's teaching me is to find something soft to punch, not anything metal.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,402,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
lego, I wish it was, I really do. All it's teaching me is to find something soft to punch, not anything metal.
LOL. It will, eventually. That's the nature of patience. It takes a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnngggg time to learn it.

Why else do you think God invented rush hour and cell phones?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Quote:
Anyway, is this a possibility?:

We are all in the lake of fire right now in this life.

Just something to consider.
It makes perfect sense.. All those NOT (before they are "penciled in") written in the book of life. This IS life right now!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Quote:
LOL. It will, eventually. That's the nature of patience. It takes a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnngggg time to learn it.

Why else do you think God invented rush hour and cell phones?
Rush hour teaches you not to get mad and throw your cell phone..

Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There is no contradiction. God would like all men to be saved, but it is not God's intention to save anyone apart from His requirement to believe and obey the Gospel, which means to believe in Christ for salvation. God saves all who place their faith in Christ and leaves in condemnation all who reject Christ. As the Scriptures say.

Did I say any man can come to a knowledge of the truth by themselves? Did the writer's of the People's New Testament say that any man can come to a knowledge of the truth by themselves? No one has said that.

God provides the Gospel and the Holy Spirit makes the Gospel understandable to the hearer of the Gospel. And the hearer of the Gospel must make a decision based on the Gospel whether or not to believe in Christ for salvation. Those who do believe in Christ are saved. Those who don't are left in eternal condemnation.

The Scriptures say otherwise. The Bible flat out states that those who are thrown into the lake of fire are there eternally. 2 Thess 1:9; Matt 25:41,46; Rev. 20:10

2 Cor. 6:2 relates back to Isaiah 49:8.

Wesley's Notes

6:2 For he saith-The sense is, as of old, there was a particular time wherein God was pleased to pour out his peculiar blessing, so there is now. And this is the particular time: This a time of peculiar blessing. Isaiah 49:8.

Matthews Henry's Concise Commentary

6:1-10 The gospel is a word of grace sounding in our ears. The gospel day is a day of salvation, the means of grace the means of salvation, the offers of the gospel the offers of salvation, and the present time the proper time to accept these offers...

The rest can be read here

2 Corinthians 6:2 For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

There are many antichrists. But the one who is referred to as the man of lawlessness, the son of destruction in 2 Thess chapter 2 is a man who makes a treaty with Irsael for seven years and breaks that treaty after 3 1/2 years. The beast and the false prophet are necessarily human.

Who or what is the antichrist? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Who is the antichrist?

To the contrary. As I just listed, there are numerous passages that use the term EIS TOUS AIONAS TON AIONON- to the ages of the ages-correctly translated into the English as 'Forever and ever.' I will not list them again here. They refer to eternal things such as the glory of God and the unending duration of His rule, and the eternal punishment of the unbeliever in the lake of fire.

A look at the phrase "forever and ever" | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Yes it does.

Matthew 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment....

Matthew 25:46 is describing the eternal nature of the punishment of those who in Matthew 25:41 are ordered by Jesus Christ into the eternal fire.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.

Not so. Universalists are always trying to convince everyone that the Greek word AIONION means eonian instead of eternal. AIONION is used to denote things that are of an eternal nature.

The New Greek/English Interlinear New Testament UBS 4th edition, Nestle-Aland 26th edition translates Matthew 25:46 in the following manner...

Matt. 25:46 AND WILL GO AWAY THESE INTO ETERNAL-PUNISHMENT, BUT THE RIGHTEOUS INTO ETERNAL~LIFE.

As the following resources show, the word AIONION is used for eternal things...

The Hebrew concept of time and "aionios" and "aion"

BIBLE STUDY MANUALS: WORD STUDY ON AIONIOS, 'AIONIOS' LIFE MEANS ETERNAL LIFE

Wordgems - Time: Aionios

Aionios---An In Depth Study

L. Ray Smith, bibletruths.com -- critique

On the Greek words for Eternity and Eternal

The passages specify exactly what happens to unbelieving mankind. They are cast into the eternal fire where they spend eternity in a state of utter ruin and uselessness and torment.

Your cult of universalism exists for the purpose of promoting Satan's strategy of deceiving mankind into not recognizing the need to believe in Christ while the opportunity exists and therefore preventing them from being saved.

Universalists don't care about people's eternal souls, they care only about promoting universalism.
All of what you said is true and Biblical. Universalism is a lie that leads people astray.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM

668 posts, read 798,545 times
Quote:
This thread is for those who wish to honestly study what the scriptural meaning of the word "hell" is.
Look here, everything about Hell.

The Truth About Hell

Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
Look here, everything about Hell.

The Truth About Hell
Oi vey

That site has a lot of misinformation about "hell".

Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 PM

668 posts, read 798,545 times
Quote:
Oi vey

That site has a lot of misinformation about "hell".
Ummm, "misinformation", the example please!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
Ummm, "misinformation", the example please!
Um, well for starters, that webpage has the following misinformation about "hell":
- "hell" is a place of conscious torment
- "hell" is a place of literal fire
- "hell" is inside the center of the earth
- "hell" is forever
- some people drilled down into "hell" and heard voices screaming
- people choose to go to "hell"

There's so much wrong with the above statements. Most of it has already been debunked in this thread. Start from post #1 and read.

Peace out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or