U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-08-2010, 08:39 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,822 posts, read 9,811,723 times
Reputation: 1300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I didn't see a response to this (unless I posted it in another thread) but this is one HOT thread! LOL so I will post again.

In Mark 10 Jesus tells the rich man that he must give away his wealth in order to be saved...

23Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”
24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it ise to enter the kingdom of God! 25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
26The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, “Who then can be saved?”
27Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”


Why would Jesus say that with man this (salvation) is impossible... but with God all things (salvation) are possible if not because it is a total work of God and nothing a man can do? If so, why would there be any need for hell when it is possible for God to cause the salvation of all?


Why would God be the only factor in salvation yet some remain unsaved unless God chose to have them remain unsaved? Some claim others aren't saved because of this or that but Jesus himself states that with man salvation is IMPOSSIBLE. If salvation is impossible for man then why is it up to man to ACCEPT salvation?
Like you said once...you just don't get it.
Salvation was IMPOSSIBLE for this particular man, because it's called subjective justification and God holds unbelief accountable......not for man in general as you concluded.

Matthew 6:24
"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

Jesus has the ability that only God has...to see what's in the "heart". Jesus knew this rich man valued his wealth more than him.

 
Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,417 posts, read 29,537,833 times
Reputation: 29922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You're confused. He inspired it. God and Paul are not the same person, for example.
No you are the one confused. Paul wrote down what God told him to. God chose human "authors" to write down His message for us. God is the author.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,720,996 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No you are the one confused. Paul wrote down what God told him to. God chose human "authors" to write down His message for us. God is the author.
2 Corinthians 3

2 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart. 4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, 6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,417 posts, read 29,537,833 times
Reputation: 29922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
2 Corinthians 3

2 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart. 4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, 6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
Yes the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit......God.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,386,559 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Like you said once...you just don't get it.
Salvation was IMPOSSIBLE for this particular man, because it's called subjective justification and God holds unbelief accountable......not for man in general as you concluded.

Matthew 6:24
"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

Jesus has the ability that only God has...to see what's in the "heart". Jesus knew this rich man valued his wealth more than him.
But yet we see in the parable of the rich man and lazarus that it is all rich men.. look at the scripture I posted, why is it so hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom?

It isn't that it was impossible for that man in particular but ALL MEN.

If you look at the Greek WITH Man is NEAR man or BY man and WITH GOD is NEAR GOD or BY GOD... Therefore it is harder for a rich man because they value what they have, they earned it so they feel they deserve it. But under MAN's power it is impossible (the greek word adunaton means unable/powerless).. whether you are rich or poor, nice or mean, stupid or smart... UNDER GOD's power ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE (able/powerful).

So really if you believe that MAN must CHOOSE to ACCEPT salvation then you have doomed all people to the same fate because they are POWERLESS/UNABLE to affect their own salvation.

Romans 5:6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.

This powerless is asthenōn which is to be weak or without strength. Compare that to adunaton which is UNABLE.

While we were powerless, weak and without strength we are UNABLE to choose or accept anything! Because:

Romans 9:16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

God knew that man was UNABLE to choose the right way which is why he saved us ALL AT THE RIGHT TIME!
 
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,720,996 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit......God.
Worship your interpretation of the written word if you choose. I'll choose to worship the Living Word.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,417 posts, read 29,537,833 times
Reputation: 29922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Worship your interpretation of the written word if you choose. I'll choose to worship the Living Word.
I trust the interpretation the Holy Spirit has given me, He said in John 14:26 He enables us to discern truth from error.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
God Himself is the author of all Scripture.
That's right ILNC. Although the Bible was penned by human author's, the Bible is the written word of God. And as it says in Psalms 138:2 I will bow down toward Thy holy temple, And give thanks to Thy name for Thy lovingkindness and Thy truth; For Thou hast magnified Thy word according to all Thy name.

2 Peter 1:20-21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture originates from one's own disclosure. For prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

God the Holy Spirit directed the human writers of the Scripture to record God's complete and connected thought toward man in their own vocabulary and from their own frame of reference and personality. Nothing that is in the Bible is there without God's authorization.

The Bible existed in eternity past as the mind of Christ as per Proverbs 8:22-31 and spoken of as wisdom personified.

That people who profess to know God and yet dismiss the written Scriptures as dead words as some have done is reprehensible.
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,386,559 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit......God.
There are several beliefs regarding the inspiration of the writers... here is an excerpt about Divine dictation...

The mechanical or dictation view teaches that the whole Bible was dictated word for word by God; the writers were passive, much like secretaries or stenographers who sat and wrote down what was given to them. Concerning this view, Enns remarks:...If the dictation theory were true, the style of the books of the Bible should be uniform.


The Bible: The Inspired Revelation of God | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site


You might want to pick one way it was inspired rather than assuming it was dictated.....
 
Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,822 posts, read 9,811,723 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Worship your interpretation of the written word if you choose. I'll choose to worship the Living Word.
You claim that your of the baptist persuasion....does you preacher know your stance on these things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top