U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM

57,293 posts, read 31,033,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You have mentioned this before - comparing temporary troubles to eternal punishment. There is no comparison, especially if you compare death in this life to eternal misery.
It defeats the UR talking point "loving God would never do such a thing". Well, he is doing it right now, so why wouldn't he do what he says he will do in the future? If he didn't lie then, why would he lie in the future?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,655,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It defeats the UR talking point "loving God would never do such a thing". Well, he is doing it right now, so why wouldn't he do what he says he will do in the future? If he didn't lie then, why would he lie in the future?
Exactly. I was reading Exodus and in chapter 4 verse 24 it says, "At a lodging place on the way, the Lord met Moses and was about to kill him. But Zipporah took a flint knife and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it. "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me," she said. So the Lord let him alone."

Moses spent half his life in Pharaoh's palace and half his life in the Midianite desert. He most likely wasn't even familiar with God's laws especially since all the requirements of God's covenant with Israel had not been actively carried out for 400 years. What is my point in writing this? God was going to kill Moses because he went against God's laws even though He probably didn't even know He was disobeying them! How is that loving, universalists? This shows that God takes our actions seriously and disobeying Him is a big deal! There are consequences for disobeying the Lord. You say that doesn't compare to eternal punishment, but I say, if God does something that a human would think is unloving on Earth, why wouldn't He do something that you feel is unloving after we leave Earth?

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 05-13-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,339,863 times
Quote:
So were the hippies in the 1960s. Did that buy them a ticket to heaven? The Bible teaches otherwise.

Rule #1: there is only one God, and it ain't moloch. And yes, he is a better God than moloch, but of course moloch didn't actually exist, they people didn't realize they were actually worshipping Satan himself.

You have made your choise: if you don't want to believe what the Bible teaches about life and afterlife, you surely don't have to. You have free will.
I wonder very much if you have studied mythology. Find out who and what these gods were and how they were worshiped.

HOW LONG HAS CHRISTIANITY BEEN FIGHTING! (yeah, that was exactly what Jesus was trying to teach us, how to be better warriors with our bombs and our guns and our battles and our armies! I guess I missed that message)

The gods that Christianity WARships are not much different than the pagan gods of old.

Find out why God HATED usury, burning people, etc and etc. in the Old Testament and get back to me on how many people you actually think are saved on this planet. If you want to take God seriously AT ALL, start studying a little harder.

(HINT, the UNITED STATES and WESTERN CIVILIZATION is built on usury! There are a WHOLE LOT of "Christians" who are in a WHOLE LOT of trouble right now and don't know it! This includes EVERYONE who is sitting in those pews on SUNday)

GOD DOES NOT CHANGE! I wonder why so many people think He has??

Last edited by herefornow; 05-13-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,121,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
IMO, one big problem with traditional Christianity is that it's all about getting that golden ticket to heaven. It's a self-centered message. As long as you and the few people you love the most have that golden ticket, that's all that's really important. The two most important commandments are to love God and love your neighbor as yourself. If people did love their neighbor as they love themselves, that one golden ticket would not be nearly enough. Everyone they come into contact with would have to have one, too, for them to be satisfied and have peace and joy. I ranted about this before, but if hell is a literal lake of fire, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!There's NO WAY you can keep commandment #2, and at the same time not run around warning everyone you meet, if you believe they are going to burn forever. NO WAY!
Traditional Christianity is self service. Work to save yourself. Forget about anyone else. As long as you get yours, pee on everyone else, for the rest of everlasting. That is what they say Christs message is, when you read the gospel you see Christ is saying live for others die to self. They got it the other way around, live for self let everyone else die ...

Traditional fundamental Christianity is contemporary Phariseeism.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,621,051 times
Quote:

Yes, there are some "God wouldn't do that" arguments that are not sound, however that doesn't defeat the declaration in scripture that God will have all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,121,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Why are you so rude?

I never claimed to compare my love or any human's love to that of God's love. I never said anything about "hippie love" (whatever that is). I never said my love would save anyone. I never said you would be saved by being a 'nice guy' (whatever you think that is, though I don't see why it would be a negative). I wasn't even responding directly to any post of yours!

Maybe you should read 1 John again. If you don't love your brother or others, you don't know God! That is pretty important I would say. If we do love one another, then God lives in us! That is also pretty important.
You know a tree by its fruit ...

Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Yes, there are some "God wouldn't do that" arguments that are not sound, however that doesn't defeat the declaration in scripture that God will have all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth.
You truly amaze me. We show you dozens and dozens of verses, but you deny them. Amazing. No wonder Satan deceived you. You want to believe what you want to believe and no matter what, you aren't changing.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
You know a tree by its fruit ...
Fruit is not being nice for many false teachers are "kind and loving". Look at the Dalai Lama. Fruit is what comes out of one's mouth and does it go along with the Bible? By their fruit you will recognize them (false teachers) (Matt 7:16).

Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,621,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
You truly amaze me. We show you dozens and dozens of verses, but you deny them. Amazing. No wonder Satan deceived you. You want to believe what you want to believe and no matter what, you aren't changing.
That is a nice speech, but it still does not change the scriptural declaration I spoke of.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
That is a nice speech, but it still does not change the scriptural declaration I spoke of.
Is It God’s Will That All Men Be Saved? Jesus is Lord!

Here's a great article for you, but you probably won't read it since you have no interest in changing your beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or