Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallcomm View Post
Yes one must believe, the question is did you have a choice in the matter. NO you did not.

Romans 8:29
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
Romans 8:30
And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Ephesians 1:5
he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

Ephesians 1:11
In him we were also chosen (you did not choose him), having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of HIS WILL [not man's]

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it (faith) is the gift of God (you didn't attain it, it was GIVEN to you, so...)
Eph 2:9 Not of (your) works, lest (you or) any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

You are "before ordained" to walk in Him and "believe" in him. You have no choice in the matter. DO YOU BELIEVE THIS!!!!
To the contrary. I have addressed this at the following thread...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-10-28-a-4.htm

See post #32 The fifth bolded section down from the top.

Man's volition, his free-will is the most basic issue in the angelic conflict.

See the following thread...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...l-warfare.html

Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Did you read the link or the posts above yours that say he does not believe being sorry for your sins is a requirement for salvation? He believes repent and believe mean the same thing.

In fact, he thinks you're going to hell IF you think being sorry for your sins is a condition for your salvation. On that post #24 he said, "If you try to work up some kind of sorrow for your sins as a condition for salvation, you have added your work to the work of Christ on the Cross and you are NOT saved."

So, there's at least one thing you two don't agree on.
Refer back to post #424 and read the link to what Dr. Harry Ironside said about repentence.

You made the statement that I said repentence is not necessary for salvation. I have put the lie to your claim. And I have explained both in the thread you originally referred to, and here on this thread what repentence means.

And your bringing this up has nothing to do with this thread. It is off topic.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:18 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Whosoever believes in me, will inherit eternal life?....did you miss that one?
Sounds like the best news I would ever hear. That God loved me so much that He died for me, so I wouldn't perish if I believe in Him.
Yeah... that's the "have faith" part... "or go to hell" is the not-so-good news for most, though I am glad you take comfort in your eternal life.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Refer back to post #424 and read the link to what Dr. Harry Ironside said about repentence.

You made the statement that I said repentence is not necessary for salvation. I have put the lie to your claim. And I have explained both in the thread you originally referred to, and here on this thread what repentence means.

You can call it a lie if that makes you feel better, but most all Christians have the belief that repentance means to be sorry for your sins and turn away from them. Most people do not believe like you, that believing and repenting is the same thing. Or should I say, most people do not repent like you, that believing and repenting is the same thing.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
This thread has veered a little off topic like most eventually do, but here's how it got started, and what it has to do with hell:

Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA
Hell is the reason Jesus paid such a HIGH price on the cross Jesus believed it that's why He provided the way for us to escape it. He left His throne and glory to die an excruciating death to keep us out of hell.

Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow
ILNC, if Jesus died an "excruciating death to keep us out of hell," who is the "us?" Is the "us" only a chosen few? If not, did Jesus succeed?

Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA
The us is anyone who chooses to ask Him to forgive them of their sins and into their heart, ALL not NOT going to do that.

Thus, the discussion about repentance.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
You can call it a lie if that makes you feel better, but most all Christians have the belief that repentance means to be sorry for your sins and turn away from them. Most people do not believe like you, that believing and repenting is the same thing. Or should I say, most people do not repent like you, that believing and repenting is the same thing.
Most people are wrong. Repentence means believing in Christ where before, you did not. Feeling sorry for your sins doesn't save you. Believing in Christ does. The merit is not in your faith, the merit is in the object of your faith which in salvation is Jesus Christ. A person might or might not feel sorry for his sins when he believes in Christ. But if he thinks he must work up a feeling of sorrow where none exists in order to be saved, then that is works and and intrudes on grace. If anyone wants to get straightened out on what repentence is, then go into the link I provided and read what one of the greatest pastors of the twentieth century had to say about it.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Most people are wrong. Repentence means believing in Christ where before, you did not. Feeling sorry for your sins doesn't save you. Believing in Christ does. The merit is not in your faith, the merit is in the object of your faith which in salvation is Jesus Christ. A person might or might not feel sorry for his sins when he believes in Christ. But if he thinks he must work up a feeling of sorrow where none exists in order to be saved, then that is works and and intrudes on grace. If anyone wants to get straightened out on what repentence is, then go into the link I provided and read what one of the greatest pastors of the twentieth century had to say about it.
One more thing and I'm more than happy to stop discussing this. Since ILNC said, "The 'us' is anyone who chooses to ask Him to forgive them of their sins and into their heart, ALL (are) NOT going to do that,"

and you said,

"If you try to work up some kind of sorrow for your sins as a condition for salvation, you have added your work to the work of Christ on the Cross and you are NOT saved,"

Do you think ILNC and others who believe like that are not saved and going to hell? Or is "asking Him to forgive sins" and "working up sorrow for your sins" different?

But even so, "asking Him to forgive sins" would come under your other rule:

If you think you must do anything other than what the Bible says over and over again, which is simply believe in Christ, then you do not understand the issue involved in salvation and you are not saved.

So, with these statements, it would seem clear that you think ILNC is not saved, even though you also say the only requirement is to believe, and ILNC does believe.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
One more thing and I'm more than happy to stop discussing this. Since ILNC said, "The 'us' is anyone who chooses to ask Him to forgive them of their sins and into their heart, ALL (are) NOT going to do that,"

and you said,

"If you try to work up some kind of sorrow for your sins as a condition for salvation, you have added your work to the work of Christ on the Cross and you are NOT saved,"

Do you think ILNC and others who believe like that are not saved and going to hell? Or is "asking Him to forgive sins" and "working up sorrow for your sins" different?

But even so, "asking Him to forgive sins" would come under your other rule:

If you think you must do anything other than what the Bible says over and over again, which is simply believe in Christ, then you do not understand the issue involved in salvation and you are not saved.

So, with these statements, it would seem clear that you think ILNC is not saved, even though you also say the only requirement is to believe, and ILNC does believe.
Asking God to forgive your sins is not the same thing as trying to work up a guilt feeling in order to be saved. Salvation is the result of faith in Christ. Not as a result of feeling guilty for your sins.

Paul Washer's FALSE GOSPEL!

The subject is closed!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,042 times
Quote:
Feeling sorry for your sins doesn't save you. Believing in Christ does. The merit is not in your faith, the merit is in the object of your faith which in salvation is Jesus Christ. A person might or might not feel sorry for his sins when he believes in Christ. But if he thinks he must work up a feeling of sorrow where none exists in order to be saved, then that is works and and intrudes on grace. If anyone wants to get straightened out on what repentence is, then go into the link I provided and read what one of the greatest pastors of the twentieth century had to say about it.
Christ is what saves us, not our faith or anything else that the flesh does, regardless of what it does or tries to do (Joh 6:63). Spiritual faith, or rather faith of the Spirit, is the RESULT of coming to life by regeneration of the Spirit. The SPIRIT is what gives life (Joh 6:63), not your faith. Apparently, you and Nicodemus must of been taught by the same misinformed teachers. Try Jesus here (Joh 3:6-8)....

Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Asking God to forgive your sins is not the same thing as trying to work up a guilt feeling in order to be saved. Salvation is the result of faith in Christ. Not as a result of feeling guilty for your sins.

Paul Washer's FALSE GOSPEL!

The subject is closed!!!
You didn't answer my question, but the answer if obvious. If one believes "asking God to forgive your sins" is a requirement for salvation, you think that person is going to hell because they added to the requirement of believing. That's what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity