Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,898,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Many who believe now at one point ignored the Holy Spirit.
Like Saul who became Paul

Old 05-07-2010, 05:09 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,917,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Like Saul who became Paul

Yes indeed.

Saul will not be in the kingdom.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
It saddens us, but our God is just,

If God is Just, then why would it sadden you?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 PM

76,980 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Quote:
It is interesting that you weave us as being at peace and having fun over the fact that ET exists?.
Such word twisting is standard procedure with them. I don't celebrate physical death either, I merely accept it as a fact of life. Same goes with hell.

Why is it that they insist that God is such a merciful creature that everyone is saved and he does not demand payment for sin? History proves otherwise. The first people God dealt with, Adam and Eve sinned, and God punished not only them, but the entire mankind including the generations who had nothing to do with Adam and Eve. Merciful? Maybe not, but I accept his rules. Because of this punishment we all die, and we all have diseases, pain and suffering, and even the possibility of eternal punishment.

God is holy, and his rules are holy, and he will not violate his own rules. If God merciful? Yes, of course he is. He extended his hand and offered people salvation from the eternal punishment, and all we have to do is believe him. That's all he is asking.

So, since God can save people, then why does he allow death, illness, war and famine on earth? Surely a loving and merciful God would never allow such things to occur. So what gives? Well, God said men must die, so we die. It is punishment we pay for Adams's sins. Yes, we pay for someone else's sin. Those are the rules. If God upholds these seemingly unfair rules today, then what makes univeralists think he will back down on his word about future punishements?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 PM

32,941 posts, read 26,170,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Some people have been through stuff that hardens their heart, some people are just too stubborn to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm sorry ILNC, it must seem like you're being ganged up on. But this kind of thinking just breaks my heart! I sincerely do not understand how you can acknowledge in one breath that the Spirit is the only one who can change hearts, and in the next deny that He would do that for every one.

Quote:
Only the Holy Spirit can change someone's heart, but not everyone listens to the Holy Spirit and responds to the call. Some people make choice to ignore Him.

[quote=Mike555;14072509]That's exactly right ILNC. People, both as unbelievers and as believers are quite able to resist the Holy Spirit. In the case of believers, that's why the believer is commanded to not quench the Holy Spirit (1 Thess. 5:19) and to not grieve the Holy Spirit (Eph. 4:30). These have to do with committing sin. Once in a state of carnality, a believer can remain in that status, continually resisting the Holy Spirit. That is why the believer is commanded to be filled with the Spirit as per (Eph. 5:18). How? By the principle of (1 John 1:9) in naming your sins to God.

The unbeliever can resist the Holy Spirit as well. Acts 7:51 ''You men who are stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears are always resisting the Holy Spirit; you are doing just as your fathers did. This was said by Stephen to those who were about to stone him to death, and which Saul who had as yet not been saved, approved of.

Those who are interested, please see links...

The Holy Spirit

Acts 7:51 "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,093,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Really? So, only those who believe in UR can have joy and peace. That's very interesting, because I have joy and peace, and I every believer I know have joy and peace. Accrding to your UR belief only a very small fraction of th epopulation can experience joy and peace.

But then again, I don't need you to tell me whether or not I have peace and joy, because I know for a fact that what you just said is complete rubbish.
Do you have joy and peace over loved ones or friends who have died without knowing Christ? Do you have joy and peace knowing they are burning in hell right now and forever? I'm fairly hopeful you do not have joy and peace in that.

So for you to say this is rubbish is to ignore your own doctrine, unless you are admitting you find joy and peace in your loved ones burning in eternal hell.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,322,395 times
Quote:
Only the Holy Spirit can change someone's heart, but not everyone listens to the Holy Spirit and responds to the call. Some people make choice to ignore Him.
So, what makes some people able to make the choice not to? You said perhaps it was circumstances in their life, or they were more humble. So, why doesn't God put the right circumstances in every life, or create everyone to be humble enough to receive Him if He really loves everyone?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,093,219 times
Quote:
Eusebius,

It is interesting that you weave us as being at peace and having fun over the fact that ET exists?
Why is that? It saddens us, but our God is just, and He is just according to those who serve Him, as well as those WHO DO NOT. This is one of those areas that WE LEAVE UP TO GOD TO DECIDE, as His counsel and edict is none of our concern, or is it fathomable in understanding.

Maybe you should step back from the tree of knowledge.
See Finn, sciotamicks does not find joy and peace in God's justice because it saddens him that some are in this eternal torment you believe in.

That is why there is only complete joy and peace in UR. If a single soul is lost, then there is no joy and peace for at least that one soul... unless you derive joy and peace from seeing others tormented forever, which I don't think you would.

UR believers rejoice in God's justice because they know God is completely fair and will render to each according to what they have done, and will ultimately set all things right.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM

God is Just, it brings me peace and joy that all corruption will be purged from us when we give account for our lives.

To say God is Just and not find that exciting? Well, not me.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,408,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Let's really think about that statement: "It saddens us, but our God is just." You'd think that if God pre-planned this eternal barbeque before the world came into existence just for those who didn't "choose" to believe that you'd be jumping up and down with joy unspeakable because God is so great to so such a diabolical thing. I mean, only God could do that! Right?
Diabolical? You mean what MAN DID TO GOD was diabolical.
He trangressed His love.

Quote:
So you are saddened that you must think God is wrong to do such a thing. At least your heart is in the right place. But it really shows you don't approve what God has planned and is doing and will do.

I'm glad I no longer feel that way about my God.
I don't feel God is wrong...you did. God is just.

Let me tell you what IS NOT JUSTICE.
To allow Hitler stand next to Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity