U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 PM

21,267 posts, read 20,878,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes I agree. Its only the ego's of humans that dream up these kind of things. Funny thing is you never (at least in my limited experience) see a Calvinist who thinks he's not part of the elect... its basically a system built on pride - I'm on the list but your NOT.
So how do they know they're on the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,405,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So how do they know they're on the list?
Self-delusion maybe? Pride? Actually scripture does tell us how to make our election sure - it involves a lot of kindness and humility.

But you are right other people instead wonder: "am I on the list or not?" And it is simply a nightmare to live like that.

Matt 7:21-23 ("I never knew you") and Matt 25:41-46 should give people pause. Scripture is clear many will think they are on "the list" but aren't really. Scripture says the whole world will be deceived, but no one ever thinks that includes themselves.

The real question is what is "the list", and if you are not on "the list", are you doomed forever? (I don't think so).

Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The real question is what is "the list", and if you are not on "the list", are you doomed forever? (I don't think so).
You know about the list, legoman. Every one of us is on it. God checks our names off one at a time.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,721,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
No, because salvation is not a work of man, it is a work of God.

(http://www.gty.org/AudioPlayer/Sermons/GTY119 - broken link)
You said in the other thread, "Been there. Done That. No thanks," to Christian Universalism, but this is exactly what we believe. If you believe one has to do anything at all to get saved, that is a work of man.

Edit: Didn't see your other post that, "God initiates salvation, and man responds out of free will within the sovereignty of God," until after I posted this. That is a work of man, though, so it can't be both ways.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,813,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardspader View Post
Can one turn away from God so much that there is no turning back to Him? Somewhat analogous to point of no return.
Yes. God determines a persons time when come to faith. If a person rejects enough times, scripture tells us that God hardens the heart.

Romans 9:18
Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 PM

3,576 posts, read 453,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yes. God determines a persons time when come to faith. If a person rejects enough times, scripture tells us that God hardens the heart.

Romans 9:18
Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
And then he says ->

Rom 9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
Rom 9:26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
And then he says ->

Rom 9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
Rom 9:26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
Well, I'll be darned.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:50 AM

7,859 posts, read 6,666,416 times
Jesus whats for you to come to him and be saved. he is NOT a proud spirit that when the flame is out no more for like the love of Eros who loves for that is good for me and if you are not the way I like that the flame go out and sediment say never go back........ The salvation of God is a gift of God and he will give it to you many time that you come to him and Jesus will be there.......But the Ministries of Jesus where a Christian would have gifts of Ministries through the Holy Spirit and Quit these ministries and pushed them away and this person became lost again , then later turned back and these ministries would not be there because the anointing of before left that person. ... The Lord Jesus would have to anoint that person into a diffrent ministries that the Lord may chose, and that old ministry would be lost forever..........

Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 AM

162 posts, read 177,077 times
I'm not one for labels, so ya'll can take it up with God:

God wills John 1:12-13; Eph. 1:5, 11
God draws John 6:44
God grants John 6:65
God calls 1 Thess. 2:12; 2Thess. 2:14; 2Tim. 1:9; 1Pet. 2:9
God appoints Acts 13:48; 1 Thess. 5:9
God predestines Rom. 8:29; Eph. 1:5, 11
God prepares Rom. 9:23
God causes 1 Cor. 1:30
God chooses 1 Thess. 1:4; 2 Thess. 2:13; Eph. 1:4
God purposes Eph. 1:11
God delivers and transfers Col. 1:13
God saves 2 Tim. 1:9; Titus 3:5
God makes us alive Eph. 2:5
God pours out His Spirit Titus 3:6
God brings us forth James 1:18
God justifies Rom. 8:30; Titus 3:7
God sanctifies 1 Thess. 5:23
God glorifies Rom. 8:3

Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 AM

5,408 posts, read 4,660,858 times
First of all, God wants all to come to repentance and be saved, but most refuse; they don't want the real God of the Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardspader View Post
Can one turn away from God so much that there is no turning back to Him? Somewhat analogous to point of no return.
One can blaspheme against the Holy Ghost and this person is essentially the walking dead. God's Spirit will never deal with him/her again.

Gen.6
[3] And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity