Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 AM

701 posts, read 800,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Our choices are always evil. Jesus Christ claimed a copyright on all Good Works which means if I make a choice to do something that is Good then I cannot credit myself for it. The credit goes to Jesus Christ therefore that means the only choices I can claim are those that result in evil.
Christ does not make the choice for us. He gives us the strength to act upon our choice for Him but the choice is ours to make. Think about what you are saying for a minute. If we cannot choose Christ, than we lack free will. If we lack free will than we lack true love. If we don't have a choice in the matter than God forces His will on us. If God forces His will on us than their is no love, for love cannot exist if force is used.

What is the point of Christ receiving the glory for our good works? If Christ is the one who controls our thoughts and choices of right over wrong, than there is nothing glorious or magnificent about any of it. Think about it like this, which scenario would glorify you more: A) a bunch of robots, you programmed, go around proclaiming how glorious you are, or B) A bunch of free will beings tell the world how glorious you are, of their own free will. It's like the difference between trying to plan your own surprise party versus those that love planning it and throwing it for you out of love for you. The whole reason that God wants our love is because He knows that it is not forced. That is why it is such a powerful thing to witness a true christian that gives all the glory to God. Not because he could not try to claim the glory for himself but because he chooses to glorify God above self, and that comes from the humility of knowing that Christ is the center of your life and all that you are. I'm not sure if you are married or have a "significant other" but just imagine if every expression of love they had towards you was only because you used some sort of mind control device and forced them to do those things. Just the thought sounds sad and depressing. God isn't like that he desires our love, not our forced submission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Christ does not make the choice for us. He gives us the strength to act upon our choice for Him but the choice is ours to make. Think about what you are saying for a minute. If we cannot choose Christ, than we lack free will. If we lack free will than we lack true love. If we don't have a choice in the matter than God forces His will on us. If God forces His will on us than their is no love, for love cannot exist if force is used.

What is the point of Christ receiving the glory for our good works? If Christ is the one who controls our thoughts and choices of right over wrong, than there is nothing glorious or magnificent about any of it. Think about it like this, which scenario would glorify you more: A) a bunch of robots, you programmed, go around proclaiming how glorious you are, or B) A bunch of free will beings tell the world how glorious you are, of their own free will. It's like the difference between trying to plan your own surprise party versus those that love planning it and throwing it for you out of love for you. The whole reason that God wants our love is because He knows that it is not forced. That is why it is such a powerful thing to witness a true christian that gives all the glory to God. Not because he could not try to claim the glory for himself but because he chooses to glorify God above self, and that comes from the humility of knowing that Christ is the center of your life and all that you are. I'm not sure if you are married or have a "significant other" but just imagine if every expression of love they had towards you was only because you used some sort of mind control device and forced them to do those things. Just the thought sounds sad and depressing. God isn't like that he desires our love, not our forced submission.
Where is the happy medium? If people are forced to spend eternity somewhere they would not normally choose given all the information...isn't that God forcing someone?

Free will in it's purest form would be devoid of all influence... so we never have had pure free will. Also, in giving free will there must be a choice between good and bad , therefore what is the purpose of providing a bad choice if the consequence is horrible (annihilation or eternal torment)?

If we truly have free will.. then there cannot be eternal consequences for wrong doing otherwise that would be forcing one to do right rather than truly choosing to do right. Wouldn't you think?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Can you show me the verse that mentions "free will"? Because your stating "free will" as if the Bible mentions it. We can make choices but there is nothing "free" about it. I can't ensure what I choose can come to pass. In fact my will to do anything is influenced by the obstacles in my way. My will is to drive a straight line to the grocery store and I can make the choice to do so but I wouldn't make that choice because of the obstacles in my way therefore my will is not without costs. Those costs are that I must move around the obstacles. Therefore, there is no such thing as a free will. But if we say that "Free will" means that we can simply choose as we desire - sure that is true. It doesn't mean the will behind the choice is without costs.

Quote:
But God does have control over our thoughts and minds. It is an illusion to think otherwise. Not robots but children rather.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
HALFNELSON -

I think you need to understand this verse:

Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
God is never so far away from us that he cannot hear a desperate, sincere cry...No matter what we have done..Others may not forgive us, but He will...

Old 04-27-2010, 03:45 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardspader View Post
Can one turn away from God so much that there is no turning back to Him? Somewhat analogous to point of no return.
the header of this thread is asking, "could one get lost forever?"

to this, one clear answer: yes, one could.

to the question, can one turn away from god so much ....

yes, these points of no return have their unmistakable reality.
one has to determine the indicators telling one to get lost. or not.

in that sense, have a good, Moderator cut: Inappropriate reference/violates the TOS

Last edited by june 7th; 04-27-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:

I've just got to say that I agree with every last word of this post. I thought it was excellent. I could not possibly have stated it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity