Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:45 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,032 times

Advertisements

The Moslems say that the last prophet was Mohammad. By there being no more inspiration (because God has no helpers, no sons) and their submission to one text, the Koran, they are unified. Well, they aren't unified. Christians aren't unified by submission to the Bible either. No soulical subjection to the word of another produces true unity, only an outward wooden subservience to that one exalted over them. Everybody understands words different from his neighbor. By trying to go along with the crowd and silencing all dissension they produce a limited show of unity. The unity God achieves is by giving each of us His gift of the same Spirit. Beyond unity, this is union: "And I have given them the glory which Thou has given Me, that they may be one, according as We are One, I in them and Thou in Me, that they may be perfected in one..." (Jn 17:22-23) This Jesus says, then He tells us to, "Maintain the unity of the spirit." This is while His gifts and servants work to bring us into, "The unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God."

"...with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit with the tie of peace..." (Ep 4:2-3, CLT) "...unto the end that we should all attain to the unity of the faith and of the realization of the son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature of the complement of the Christ..." (vs.13)

What we don't have in the beginning, unity of knowledge which is soulical unity, even though we start with spiritual unity, means that the services of apostles and prophets impart knowledge and function to the body, bringing us in the end to a mature corporate man. The initial differences of understanding is why we must stay in "Patience, bearing with one another in love."

When the early Church came together over the question whether keeping the law of Moses was needed for those being declared righteous by faith (Acts 15) there was much argument lasting for three days. They were still disputing while Peter spoke. After which they hushed to hear Paul and Barnabas tell of the manifestations of the power of God among the gentiles. Then James gave the Word of the Lord on the matter, to which all were agreed. Here we see a progress from disputed matters into unity. It was their understandings of God and His Written Word that were the materials of their debates.

If it was just one monolithic "Truth" granted to believers at regeneration these matters of the development of the Eclessia into a mature man would not have such challenges to our, "Endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace." It is because between us there are differences of understanding, not divers spirits, that we must, "...with all humility and meekness, with patience, [be] bearing one another in love..." At the first Jerusalem Council there were varied and competing awarenesses that had to become a shared context for the appreciation of the Word of the Lord when it came forth. This could not have occurred if, "...contending for the faith once given over to the saints" (Jude 3) meant any dissension with even those reputed to be something must be silenced. To hold soulical standards beyond challenge, to maintain we need not hear any dissenting voices, to say there is no farther revelation of truth that can change what I know is to guarantee bondage in deception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
twin.spin

you started this thread by stating:

But you never quoted the verse where someone asked Jesus "How can I escape being condemned to hell?"

So, where is it?

Good luck cause you can't find it.
This makes absolutly no sense

Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
Scripture is not defined by what one human being speaks to another, but by what God dictates to man as His divine will.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
God soverignly has one divine will by the Bible. Anything less than what scripture says is false and anything that claims to be more is false.
John 21:25 says that Jesus said and did so many things that were never written down that, had they been recorded, would fill so many books that the world could not contain them all. I suppose those "many other things," which, because they are not found in the Bible, clearly must not be scripture and must consequently be false. I didn't realize that God had limited himself to the pages of one book -- a book, it appears, that many people worship to the same degree they do God himself.

Quote:
So again on what basis do you speak?
I speak as a daughter of my Father in Heaven. On what basis do you speak?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times
God's TRUTH encompasses many sides...yet belonging to one solid body.

Our contention of it can be liken to 10 blind men sensing different parts of it...or...eating the flesh (the word of God) and claiming that the portion one has eaten is the only good part of it.

For as long as we can share the feast (with LOVE) and know that, even if we do not possess the same taste buds...we are partakers of that same body.

Retreating in utmost humility and let GOD'S DIVINE WILL take over...is VIRTUE indeed

Peace!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
twin.spin, you started this thread by stating:

"The most important question ever asked by Jesus..." How will you escape being condemned to hell?"

But you never quoted the verse where someone asked Jesus "How can I escape being condemned to hell?"

So, where is it?

Good luck cause you can't find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
This makes absolutly no sense
Of course it makes perfect sense.

If someone, as you say, came to Jesus and, according to you, they asked Jesus "How will you escape being condemned to hell?" then that question must be in the Bible. So where is it?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Of course it makes perfect sense.

If someone, as you say, came to Jesus and, according to you, they asked Jesus "How will you escape being condemned to hell?" then that question must be in the Bible. So where is it?
Com' on man,
After all the posts you ask this, you've got to be kidding...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Com' on man,
LOL Seems he is right... we have 20 pages of off topic material...

In order to properly evaluate your question we would need to know how Jesus answered that question...

All these pages are filled with our opinion but what does the bible say?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Com' on man,
No, I'm not kidding. After all the posts not one verse was brought up to show someone asking Jesus:

"How will I escape being condemned to hell?"

as you asked as the title for this thread.

Surely that is not too hard of a request to answer if that question to Jesus is in the Bible.

So . . . where is that question to Jesus?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM

696 posts, read 915,132 times
Quote:
Com' on man,
The problem they cant get around sir is not that one asks how can one escape Hell, but that those who believe ask, "How can we have life?" Those who wouldnt care or believe are not concerned with either and as such they would not have asked. Perfect examples are the false teachers of this age which are the scribes and pharisees.

Scripture need not address such questions. It is for those who have laid the claim to life eternal not for those who have no such claim. As such an unbeliever would ask a questions such as this.

Those who come to Christ ask for life eternal and He has set the condition for life eternal. That we must believe. In our salvation we bear the gospel to men, but not that we are agents or a force in salvation. Salvation is a work of the Lord in the individual. And each of those that He has worked in as asked the question, "How might I have life?"

Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
The problem they cant get around sir is not that one asks how can one escape Hell, but that those who believe ask, "How can we have life?" Those who wouldnt care or believe are not concerned with either and as such they would not have asked. Perfect examples are the false teachers of this age which are the scribes and pharisees.

Scripture need not address such questions. It is for those who have laid the claim to life eternal not for those who have no such claim. As such an unbeliever would ask a questions such as this.

Those who come to Christ ask for life eternal and He has set the condition for life eternal. That we must believe. In our salvation we bear the gospel to men, but not that we are agents or a force in salvation. Salvation is a work of the Lord in the individual. And each of those that He has worked in as asked the question, "How might I have life?"
Just show the scripture that says
"The most important question ever asked by Jesus..." 'How will you escape being condemned to hell?' "

Where did Jesus ever ask that "most important question"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity