U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, I doubt very much that very many people have ever converted to Christianity out of fear of hellfire.
Ummm For some/a lot part of 'Converting to christianity' is totally about saving yourself from hell and going to heaven ----- I think that being a disciple of Christ is about Love God and love your neighbour as yourself and producing the fruit of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, patience, etc

The rebirth into a child of God has nothing to do with turning into a christian and everything to be born of the Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 06:39 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Thanks. As Paul wrote

"While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape."

Hebrews 12:25
See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven?

Jesus warned on earth, and now warns us from heaven....and that suppose to be unloving....hardly!
Escape from the Valley of Hinnom would be a terrible hardship now alright....

And WARNS US is present tense to PAUL not us!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:00 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Escape from the Valley of Hinnom would be a terrible hardship now alright....

And WARNS US is present tense to PAUL not us!
Yes --- the Jews were being warned of the wrath coming to them in 70AD

Old 04-25-2010, 07:04 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,383,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Yes --- the Jews were being warned of the wrath coming to them in 70AD
That would make the most sense given what we know happened and within the context.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times
Quote:
June,
Being you believe to understand the Bible it would be more advisable to concern yourself with the log in both your eyes. It should be apparent that most people who questioned Jesus did so to either trap him in his own words or out of unbelief and\or hatred.

It is fool hearty to think that Jesus warning to the Pharisee's and the teachers isn't applicable to "June, and others like her...."

Being you believe to understand the Bible, God refers to his word as pearls. There comes a time when He commands those of us who are entrusted with pearls to stop offering it to "June, and others like her...."

Matthew 7:6
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."

Revelation 22:15
Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

That is how I'm spreading the message..warning "June, and others like her...." to stop resisting and repent or suffer the fate of being condemned to hell.
Many of us are like Noah:

Hebrews 11:7
By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
Am I to read that you've just referred to one of the kindest,most sympathetic,gentle and loving members of this forum as a dog or a pig

Our good friend and moderator has more of the spirit of Christ in her little finger, than in the whole of your judgmental, condeming, and hateful body.

I have a VERY long fuse. And I can take a good beating. But I draw the line when bullys masquarding as "christians", hiding behind their warped interpretation of the message given to all, from the Author of Love, attempt to wound those I care for.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
I'd rather have peanuts in heaven than a gourmet in hell

Anytime somebody stops believing one of the four wrong approaches so commonly offered today (especially #3), holy angels rejoice!

1. Denial ....There is no hell...I don't believe in it
2. Rationalizing God ....That isn't God's nature -That is unjust

3. Believing another gospel
  • an angel from heaven speaks it
  • all will eventually be restored
  • prove yourself worthy
  • faith and works
  • other revelations
4. By questioning God\Jesus
I'd rather have a gourmet in Heaven. Would you like me to save you a place? Or would you rather just enjoy your peanuts alone in the corner?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
I'd rather have peanuts in heaven than a gourmet in hell

Anytime somebody stops believing one of the four wrong approaches so commonly offered today (especially #3), holy angels rejoice!

1. Denial ....There is no hell...I don't believe in it
2. Rationalizing God ....That isn't God's nature -That is unjust
3. Believing another gospel
  • an angel from heaven speaks it
  • all will eventually be restored
  • prove yourself worthy
  • faith and works
  • other revelations
4. By questioning God\Jesus
Me too twin! So many people are believing things the Bible does not teach.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
So many people are believing things the Bible does not teach.
There are a lot of things the Bible doesn't teach, ILNC. That doesn't make them false. That just makes them "things the Bible doesn't teach." The Bible does say that Jesus said and did so many things that were never recorded that all the books in the world could not contain them. All the books in the world! Can you even imagine how much information isn't in the Bible! Not all of Jesus' words are in the Bible; the Bible does tell us that much. So does that make everything Jesus said that's not in the Bible -- the things He said that could fill more books that exist in the world -- false? According to your reasoning, it sure sounds like it.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM

702 posts, read 844,157 times
One more thing I cannot find in the Bible (KJV) is the phrase: "How will you escape being condemned to hell?"

Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 PM

702 posts, read 844,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Rhodes,

You never answered or even addressed the question I asked you...a simple yes or no would suffice, however, all you did was fill your post with a little rhetoric on your part.
Is this the question to which you refer"? (It's the only one I can find.)---
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Are you attempting to produce a text trying to show that souls are saved post mortem?
There was a typo in my answer. It should read: " In answer to the assertion it was spoken to unbelievers I was pointing out the context of Jesus' speech, to whom He was speaking at the time He spoke the words, "...every one shall be salted with fire..." (Mk 9:49)
I had posted a response to twin-spin because his dismissal of Jesus including EVERY ONE" in his word the translators called "hell fire." Jesus was talking to his disciples. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. Here are twin-spin's original words:
Quote:
All the verses about "fire" (43-48) is about the torment of unbelievers. Undoubtedly verse (49) would be talking about the same...
Mark 9:43-50 (KJV)...
[43] And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: [44] Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [45] And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: [46] Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [47] And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: [48] Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [49] For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt. [50] Salt [is] good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

The previous reactions on this matter were part of why I did not answer with yes or no. I assumed you would like to reopen the discussion on what was for thousands of years in The Apostle's Creed and is supposed to be there still. "Jesus descended into hell." To get along with certain elements it gets footnoted in order to produce an ecumenical hybrid. It is relatively easy to look up Creeds of Christendom by Philip Schaff which is in the public domain, probably at Welcome to the Christian Classics Ethereal Library! | Christian Classics Ethereal Library ( Christian Classics Ethereal Library.) Here, I looked it up for you. Here's the url: Book Information | Christian Classics Ethereal Library Good knowledge of the truth about Jesus' descent into hell was presented several times here to those who repeatedly reject and revile it. Here I offer one standard reference book by which you may avail yourself of a knowledge of Church history via the portal of the Creeds.

(You misspelled my name. It's Rohde, pronounced roe-dee).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or