U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 AM

11,785 posts, read 9,497,881 times

Advertisements

How will you?....by:

1. Denial
  • There is no hell...I don't believe in it
2. Rationalizing God
  • That isn't God's nature
  • That is unjust
3. Believing another gospel
  • an angel from heaven speaks it
  • all will eventually be restored
  • prove yourself worthy
  • faith and works
  • other revelations
3. By questioning God\Jesus
  • "What is truth?" John 18:38
  • "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?" John 8:48
  • "By what authority are you doing these things?" Matthew 21:23
  • "And who gave you this authority?" Mark 11:28
  • "What is this teaching?" Luke 4:36
  • "How can you say that we shall be set free?" John 8:33
  • "Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right..Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?". Luke 20:20-22
  • "You are not yet fifty years old,....and you have seen Abraham!"
  • "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Luke 10:25
  • "What must we do to do the works God requires? "John 6:28
For those who say such things ...Jesus asks:

"You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good?"
"Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?"

"Have you never read in the Scriptures: 'The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes' " ?

Last edited by twin.spin; 04-24-2010 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: too much spacing....sorry:(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 AM

4. God's answer:.......Doing Gods will:

John 6:40
For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

John 6:47
I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

John 12:44
Then Jesus cried out, "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me.

John 3:15
that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

Mark 5:36
Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, "Don't be afraid; just believe."

Mark 9:24
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Old 04-24-2010, 10:38 AM

FYI:
Another thought about Jesus' question....it isn't hypothetical but factual.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,676,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
FYI:
Another thought about Jesus' question....it isn't hypothetical but factual.
It's not hard to figure out by reading the entire chapter of Matthew 23 that Jesus was "telling off" the religious/teachers of the law/Pharisees. "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!" over and over again! And you're trying to use this verse to insinuate that he's talking to unbelievers.

Edit: This was from Matthew 12, but He was still talking to the Pharisees.

Last edited by Bright Hope for Tomorrow; 04-24-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,676,796 times
Quote:
How will you?....by:

1. Denial
  • There is no hell...I don't believe in it
2. Rationalizing God
  • That isn't God's nature
  • That is unjust
  • an angel from heaven speaks it
  • all will eventually be restored
  • prove yourself worthy
  • faith and works
  • other revelations
3. By questioning God\Jesus
  • "What is truth?" John 18:38
  • "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?" John 8:48
  • "By what authority are you doing these things?" Matthew 21:23
  • "And who gave you this authority?" Mark 11:28
  • "What is this teaching?" Luke 4:36
  • "How can you say that we shall be set free?" John 8:33
  • "Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right..Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?". Luke 20:20-22
  • "You are not yet fifty years old,....and you have seen Abraham!"
  • "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Luke 10:25
  • "What must we do to do the works God requires? "John 6:28
For those who say such things ...Jesus asks:

"You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good?"

"Have you never read in the Scriptures: 'The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes' " ?
Reading back over your post, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Is this right?

You are asking people, "How will you escape being condemned to hell?" and giving them these options that you think they might use to escape hell:

1. Denial
2. Rationalizing God
4. By questioning God\Jesus

It's a strange OP, IMO, even aside from the fact that Jesus was talking to teachers of the law in that verse about brood of vipors.

First, why is there not an option for faith in Jesus? How do you think people escape hell? Do you believe like most Christians that you escape hell by believing that Christ died, was buried, and rose again for the sins of mankind? Or do you believe you escape hell by having faith that God will burn people for eternity? Maybe I'm missing your point in the OP, but it seems to me that you're saying you have to believe God will burn people, or you'll be one of the ones He burns. If so, can you show a verse with this "requirement" for salvation? Or, maybe I missed your point entirely. If so, please explain.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 AM

8,429 posts, read 8,144,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Reading back over your post, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Is this right?

You are asking people, "How will you escape being condemned to hell?" and giving them these options that you think they might use to escape hell:

1. Denial
2. Rationalizing God

It's a strange OP, IMO, even aside from the fact that Jesus was talking to teachers of the law in that verse about brood of vipors.

First, why is there not an option for faith in Jesus? How do you think people escape hell? Do you believe like most Christians that you escape hell by believing that Christ died, was buried, and rose again for the sins of mankind? Or do you believe you escape hell by having faith that God will burn people for eternity? Maybe I'm missing your point in the OP, but it seems to me that you're saying you have to believe God will burn people, or you'll be one of the ones He burns. If so, can you show a verse with this "requirement" for salvation? Or, maybe I missed your point entirely. If so, please explain.
Not to mention the fact that this verse is talking about and to the Jewish leaders of that time about there destruction in Gehenna. And guess what? Those who died in the temple during the siege (I'm guessing those he spoke to about this very thing) ended up burning in the valley of Hinnom just as Jesus said they would....

This is the real place where they burned the bodies of those who did not heed Jesus' words.

34Therefore I am sending you prophets and wise men and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town. 35And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 I tell you the truth, all this will come upon this generation.

This is all about then and not about an after life burning in hell.....

So what is Twin warning people about? Is belief going to save us from something that happened in the 1st century?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post

1. Denial
2. Rationalizing God

1. Denial
2. Rationalizing God

You also didn't read God's answer post....doing Gods will:

John 6:40
For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

Old 04-24-2010, 02:16 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,437,746 times
Quote:
Yep, the wrath that came upon Jerusalem in 70 ad, AKA the judgment of Gehenna. Good post! Hard for them to escape when it was designed to destroy all they stood for....

Old 04-24-2010, 02:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,276,693 times
Quote:
How will you escape from being condemned to hell?
Isaiah 53:5-6 But he was wounded for our transgression, he was bruised for our iniquities: The chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes WE ARE HEALED.

ALL WE like sheep have gone astray; we have turned EVERY ONE to his own way; and THE LORD HATH LAID ON HIM THE INIQUITY OF US ALL.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Yep, the wrath that came upon Jerusalem in 70 ad, AKA the judgment of Gehenna. Good post! Hard for them to escape when it was designed to destroy all they stood for....
And as so often as the case, Jesus used things around Jerusalem, even the destruction of Jerusalem, as a microcosm of what will happen to unbelievers, believers and the world at the end of time...AKA "the day of the Lord"

That is why Jesus' question is put matter of fact. The same attitude of Jesus' listeners are very much alive today....

Matthew 23:33
" How will you escape being condemned to hell" when "the day of the Lord" comes...........

You can't say that it only applies to Jerusalem 70 ad. being that the same warning to written to the Thessalonians.

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3
for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

the day of the Lord will come like a thief and they will not escape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or