U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 03:35 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,569,049 times
Reputation: 843

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
oh believe me,I'm just joking.and if it does ever see fire,it could very well be in a junkyard at the time. :P

sry about your dad,but I'm guessing if it hadn't been y2k,it would have been something else,bc if someone wants so badly for the end to come,they will find another outlet for it,as he has.I'm guessing he's banking on a 2012 crisis now,or something.

I thought maybe computers and atm's and such might be messed up come jan 2000,but I never made any real plans,never stockpiled anything,etc.didn't even take any cash out.I went to bed ny's eve and slept nicely.I admit I was a bit surprised the next day to find the 'puter running normally,as always.I thought at the least,that it might be messed up.
So none of it exactly kept me awake,as dec 12 or 21 or whenever the heck it is in 2012 won't either.I'll just go to bed thinking about how all those ppl are up all night waiting/wondering/worrying,same as they did with y2k,and prob. a lot of the same ones,too. =-O
I knew you were joking about the truck. But in fact - the realization that all things in this life are temporary and fleeting is a great/ HEALTHY/peace inducing concept.

But this end time freak out destruction thing is off the charts for popularity in some Bible belt communities. And it takes it's toll against any real practical progress toward the healing of the nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,223,669 times
Reputation: 250
I agree with that fb.We can't live as if there is no tomorrow/bank on there not being one.
we're a blue state here,and not as bible belt as you might think,as least not in the big city areas.we're actually pretty progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM
 
957 posts, read 716,135 times
Reputation: 392
BL, who knows?

Just a quick FYI, I think almost every generation in the past 2000 years believed they were the last generation...why us?

I remember thinking during our Thanksgiving dinner in 1973 that it would probably be our last. Never thought we would make to 1976, then 1980, then 1984 but no later than that!

Just don't want people repeating my mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,570,727 times
Reputation: 1584
Not that I desire to be complicated, but I personally don't believe in a physical rapture of the saints. I do believe in a spiritual rapture which prepares some believers/5 virgins to endure great tribulation. And there are the 5 unwise virgins caught off guard with not enough oil in their lamps. Who shall be able to dwell with the devouring fire? And yes, Firstborn, I do weep and mourn, but I don't think that is wrong. There is a lot to mourn over.

The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness has surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? Isaiah 33:14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,416,374 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
BL, who knows?

Just a quick FYI, I think almost every generation in the past 2000 years believed they were the last generation...why us?

I remember thinking during our Thanksgiving dinner in 1973 that it would probably be our last. Never thought we would make to 1976, then 1980, then 1984 but no later than that!

Just don't want people repeating my mistake.
Because ours is the generation of accumulative knowledge at our fingers tips? From the beginning up to the 19th century...progress had been sparsely meted out. Yet as soon as 20th century stepped in...almost all progress spewed out like the world is in haste...

This is why I'm vigilant in the spirit...for it is very possible that "the new beginning" is something that I may just witness while still in the flesh...imho

Blessings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,569,049 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Because ours is the generation of accumulative knowledge at our fingers tips? From the beginning up to the 19th century...progress had been sparsely meted out. Yet as soon as 20th century stepped in...almost all progress spewed out like the world is in haste...

This is why I'm vigilant in the spirit...for it is very possible that "the new beginning" is something that I may just witness while still in the flesh...imho

Blessings...
I have no doubt we are in a unique time when explosive change can take place like no other time in history. The fact that I can receive live audio/video from anywhere on the globe is an absolutely stunning thing.

Because of this - a global human consciousness has arisen like never before with people of other cultures being able to get a much better idea how it feels to be in another's shoes half way around the world - like I did during the recent popular uprising in Iran.

It's a volatile and exciting time for sure. The difference is that I see love conquering all the world while many see the devil conquering all the world.

Vastly different visions and interpretations of the faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,416,374 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
BL, who knows?

Just a quick FYI, I think almost every generation in the past 2000 years believed they were the last generation...why us?

I remember thinking during our Thanksgiving dinner in 1973 that it would probably be our last. Never thought we would make to 1976, then 1980, then 1984 but no later than that!

Just don't want people repeating my mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Because ours is the generation of accumulative knowledge at our fingers tips? From the beginning up to the 19th century...progress had been sparsely meted out. Yet as soon as 20th century stepped in...almost all progress spewed out like the world is in haste...

This is why I'm vigilant in the spirit...for it is very possible that "the new beginning" is something that I may just witness while still in the flesh...imho

Blessings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I have no doubt we are in a unique time when explosive change can take place like no other time in history. The fact that I can receive live audio/video from anywhere on the globe is an absolutely stunning thing.

Because of this - a global human consciousness has arisen like never before with people of other cultures being able to get a much better idea how it feels to be in another's shoes half way around the world - like I did during the recent popular uprising in Iran.

It's a volatile and exciting time for sure. The difference is that I see love conquering all the world while many see the devil conquering all the world.

Vastly different visions and interpretations of the faith.
God's divine plan was culminated when "The Lord Jesus Christ"...out of his love, died on the cross to ransom the sin of mankind. GOD CONQUERED DEATH!

"Love God and love your neighbor as you love yourself"

To know who my God is and his true attributes enables me to "truly" love him and in return...to love the most unlovable neighbor I encounter along the way...

Compassion and patience... I liken to... Mercy and Truth kissing each other.

Blessings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
200 posts, read 210,713 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I knew you were joking about the truck. But in fact - the realization that all things in this life are temporary and fleeting is a great/ HEALTHY/peace inducing concept.

But this end time freak out destruction thing is off the charts for popularity in some Bible belt communities. And it takes it's toll against any real practical progress toward the healing of the nations.
Who remembers Interior Secretary James Watt from the early part of the Reagan Administration? The policy he pushed was to essentially exploit all of our natural resources to the fullest because he believed we could possibly have been in the last generation before Christ's return. You are quite right, FB888; it can take a toll.

Thankfully, he was such a character that he didn't last long.

Last edited by Snuffy63; 05-04-2010 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Hit submit a little too fast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,714,521 times
Reputation: 1351
I think that those who believe that every other day is the "last days" think that "scoffers" and unbelievers believe the earth will continue the way it has forever. I don't think so personally and I do believe that someday, life as we have known it or will know it will will cease. What I DON'T believe is that every hiccup represents our last days on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,751,670 times
Reputation: 58198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy63 View Post
Who remembers Interior Secretary James Watt from the early part of the Reagan Administration? The policy he pushed was to essentially exploit all of our natural resources to the fullest because he believed we could possibly have been in the last generation before Christ's return. You are quite right, FB888; it can take a toll.

Thankfully, he was such a character that he didn't last long.
I remember that guy! What a nutcracker! But I didn't know he believed we were living in the last days...... Now it kinda makes sense. Not that what he was doing was right, just that it makes more sense now WHY he was doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top