U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:58 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,069,422 times

Advertisements

NASA provides daily, weekly and even monthly charts. So far, nothing out of the ordinary. ("A flare today or four days ago doth not a God-sent natural catastrophe make-eth!")

"Yeah though I wish for the Valley of Death, I shall get no satisfaction!"

Here yah go: Read them and weep. (Isn't science such a durned killjoy?)

Space Weather Alerts and Warnings Timeline

Or this one, if you want to go back and confirm your last urgent warning date and time (you know, where the Earth didn't end. Again.:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive.html

I just have to include this stunning photo for the benefit of someone here who firmly insists that the sun's made of mirrors, that sunspots are cooler than the surrounding sun, and that the sun isn't generally "hot" anyhow.

So... care to land on this surface, anyone? (This is a May 5th photo: very current.)

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/sxi/images/latest_goes14.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,453,633 times
Again, it all boils down to believing doesn't it? Who will you believe?

1. The Bible...Bible Instructions Before Leaving Earth?

2. NASA.....Never A Straight Answer?

Your choice.......

Old 05-05-2010, 09:10 PM

2,955 posts, read 2,254,371 times
not to worry....
it's about time for one of the supervolcanoes to blow...so the righteous will be vindicated one way or another.
i just really wonder if the "righteous" would desire to live through [another] human bottle-neck?!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,069,422 times
So Betsy....when confronted with strictly empirical measured and documented daily, indeed, hourly, data about sunspot and general solar radiation output, you're now calling NASA a bunch of liars? Is that because they don't support your mythology and bailful prognostications?

Yep. That'll surely work. Tell you what: next time there's a strong "Stay Indoors!" solar flare advisory from them, perhaps you'll step up to your own challenge and saunter outside? Just to catch a few "heavenly" rays you understand.

Anyhow, all this is shrill, barking-mad E-T hyperbole as usual, since despite the endless historical E-T warnings and pronouncements, nothing has ever happened. Oh no doubt, statistically, a catastrophic event will eventually happen when, let's say, a big meteorite hits us in 124 years, but what makes THAT the official ("Get your Official End-Times T-Shirts Before The big Day!") end event?

As we discussed before on your other fear-mongering thread, the bible also says that there will be no fore-warnings, but that in fact such global catastrophes will occur only during, not preceding, your hoped-for Big Event. As well, they'd have to be cumulative and serial, adding to each other to achieve your desired total annihilation effect.

So far, despite your technical mis-representations of imagined increases in the frequency and severity of earthquakes, or of volcanic interruptions, or of coming plagues of locusts, or perhaps the H1N1 virus or whatever catches your fancy from the overactive imaginations of the media, nothing, or as you put it, "NADA", has happened. Nor will it, IMH but scientific O.

Sorry. Hardly worth getting all lathered up about it either, to the exclusion of doing something more valuable for your fellow man. As I'm doing this weekend, teaching some kids about scientific and credible thinking in a field trip. They'll be the better for it, I assure you. I will however, dedicate take some valuable time to tell them not to be scared into letting others do their thinking for them, and no matter what, to dismiss any End-Times fallacies. For sure.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,569,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

2. NASA.....Never A Straight Answer?
Cute - but what, specifically, are you referring to here?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 AM

231 posts, read 277,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Sorry. Hardly worth getting all lathered up about it either, to the exclusion of doing something more valuable for your fellow man.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I notice Betsey lives in Homestead, FL, which I've since visited in the mid-90's. I wonder if she was perhaps there during it's Tribulations, and if she was totally convinced then that "This is the End at last! Praise God"

I'll just bet she did. And yet.....

Ahhhhh to live in total need of such troubling and damaging events. To even wish for such things on your fellow man, particularly on those who simply don't believe as you do... A sad social commentary indeed.
Whilst I don't totally agree with everything Betsey has posted either, I think it's totally unfair and uncalled for, for you to accuse her of wishing harm/being indifferent towards her fellow man, this is the second time I have addressed this issue on this board, she has endured a couple of uncalled for, really nasty posts in the last few days from a couple of people regarding her motives

I do, however, understand your frustration and anger towards the mindset of certain christians, there are indeed christians that wish for terrible things to happen to others that don't think like them, but Betsey definitely isn't one of them

I know you have been burned by christianity (I have as well to a degree, I suffered a near nervous breakdown due to the doctrine of eternal torment,so I can empathize and understand where you are coming from), however, making accusations which are uncalled for is not the answer and I know what I'm talking about as my original purpose in joining this forum was to get a rise out of fundamentalists, although I was somewhat successful in my endeavor initially, I soon discovered that it was downright destructive and only succeeds in making one even more bitter than before

For the record I'm theistic agnostic, not christian

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
Whilst I don't totally agree with everything Betsey has posted either, I think it's totally unfair and uncalled for, for you to accuse her of wishing harm/being indifferent towards her fellow man, this is the second time I have addressed this issue on this board, she has endured a couple of uncalled for, really nasty posts in the last few days from a couple of people regarding her motives

I do, however, understand your frustration and anger towards the mindset of certain christians, there are indeed christians that wish for terrible things to happen to others that don't think like them, but Betsey definitely isn't one of them

I know you have been burned by christianity (I have as well to a degree, I suffered a near nervous breakdown due to the doctrine of eternal torment,so I can empathize and understand where you are coming from), however, making accusations which are uncalled for is not the answer and I know what I'm talking about as my original purpose in joining this forum was to get a rise out of fundamentalists, although I was somewhat successful in my endeavor initially, I soon discovered that it was downright destructive and only succeeds in making one even more bitter than before

For the record I'm theistic agnostic, not christian

Thank you for that. Doesn't bother me in the least, seriously, for I know there arguments are not with me. More sadden than anything else...Father forgive them, for they know not what they do......

Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,688,375 times
Please spare me...I know very well what I do..

Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Yes, change......... Pay attention from here on out!

This way.....SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

or,

this way.....Bibleresources KJV (http://bibleresources.bible.com/bible_kjv.php - broken link)

but please, pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity