Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times

Advertisements

Someone asked a question on another site asking, "how to teach children about god." That struck me as odd, to tell you the truth. It sounds so noble and so right, but why does the [supposed] great god of the universe need wishy-washy, finite, frail and fragile mere mortals to impart [supposed] eternal knowledge to their offspring? I mean, I realize it gives the parents something to do (which they may deem the right thing to do), but would said parents not only share their particular version of Christianity to their children?

In addition, if it is left up to parents to teach children about god (belief), doesn't this suggest that children are born without "knowledge" about god and it has to be taught to them by mortals? What if the mortal is wrong? Should not god reveal/teach the child about his existence on his own time and should not the child be left to experience/discover god for themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Someone asked a question on another site asking, "how to teach children about god." That struck me as odd, to tell you the truth. It sounds so noble and so right, but why does the [supposed] great god of the universe need wishy-washy, finite, frail and fragile mere mortals to impart [supposed] eternal knowledge to their offspring? I mean, I realize it gives the parents something to do (which they may deem the right thing to do), but would said parents not only share their particular version of Christianity to their children?

In addition, if it is left up to parents to teach children about god (belief), doesn't this suggest that children are born without "knowledge" about god and it has to be taught to them by mortals? What if the mortal is wrong? Should not god reveal/teach the child about his existence on his own time and should not the child be left to experience/discover god for themselves?

I believe that when God wants us to teach our children of Him, He wants us to teach them LOVE for all things. God and all he has created!! Not so much teaching specific beliefs about the ins and outs of our own interperatations of the bible. But love!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Last edited by ALMOST2L8; 05-12-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 03:03 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Christians dedicate or baptise their children which means they they are asking the Lord God for his blessing over the lives of their children.. some are given God parents or friends as Family members to oversee their childrens lives and pray and teach them in the ways of Jesus Christ and to teach them about the Lord and to reject the devil and his ways and to help them find Jesus and his Spirit in their lives...... The Public schools will not teach the Children about Jesus because on the civil libertarianism dominion in the Public school systems which reject teaching these truths so This teaching is up for the parents or the church Sunday Schools teach Jesus and help Children Get Jesus in their lives.....Some parent will not teach their children anything about Jesus and never get child dedicated or baptised which will close the door for any blessing from Heaven and many of these Children never find the Lord God thoughtout their lives unless they turn out of the blue and find Jesus which can be rare............

Old 05-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Christians dedicate or baptise their children which means they they are asking the Lord God for his blessing over the lives of their children.. some are given God parents or friends as Family members to oversee their childrens lives and pray and teach them in the ways of Jesus Christ and to teach them about the Lord and to reject the devil and his ways and to help them find Jesus and his Spirit in their lives...... The Public schools will not teach the Children about Jesus because on the civil libertarianism dominion in the Public school systems which reject teaching these truths so This teaching is up for the parents or the church Sunday Schools teach Jesus and help Children Get Jesus in their lives.....Some parent will not teach their children anything about Jesus and never get child dedicated or baptised which will close the door for any blessing from Heaven and many of these Children never find the Lord God thoughtout their lives unless they turn out of the blue and find Jesus which can be rare............
Why do you have to teach children in order to 'get Jesus in their lives?' Is it Jesus getting into their lives or their parents getting into their head?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
Its commanded. Why does grade school need wishy-washy non-Einsteins to teach science? Why does one need wishy-washy atheists to teach atheism?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Its commanded. Why does grade school need wishy-washy non-Einsteins to teach science? Why does one need wishy-washy atheists to teach atheism?
There are people who teach their children atheism? I thought kids were born WITHOUT [deity] belief already.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when are getting up again".

If you want your children to follow God, you must make God a part of your everyday life, you must teach your children diligently to see God in all aspect of life, not just those that are church related.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
Kids are born without anything except an empty mind to be filled (atheism is an idea, in its better forms it is a concept or notion {ie, has content; I have found none here at the data forum and in fact the atheists claim that they need not know anything about it}-the world around you has no meaning except what mind gives it-even attributing a no god is attributing meaning). No atheist is so genius that he/she comes up with it all on their own from birth, everything is taught (mingle with the people around you more and observe closer-its a dumb place, and most can probably not think anything up on their own-TV is probably a prime source for belief). Your beliefs are handed over to you from the social, lock, stock, and barrel, and you suck them up just like food and beer-why the many different ideas are accepted by many different people? Who knows, maybe one had a bad day when the idea came, something one ate at the time, one worships some individual because of the shape of his nose, mom did-so the kid does, an actor thinks this way, one wanted to have sex with one's mom, etc; but I doubt it is because one has such a strong mentality and reasoning abilities, and some corner on truth-all by oneself; one is a product of the social around oneself, either the whole system (a tribe, state) or from a subsystem (our little rebel group, my little back slapping peer group, etc).

Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Since Adam, all are born into sin. We do not have to teach our kids to lie. We do not have to teach our kids to be selfish. It is inbred into all who are born of a man and woman. We come into to world separate from God - and our sinful acts keeps us at a distance from Him.

But when you teach our kids about who God is from birth - while the knowledge does not save them, you give them a mindset where they can think on their own and at some point in their life accept Christ. It also helps that they learn moral behavior and learn to act in accordance to God's method for living on earth.

You ask about mortals teaching kids - if people are believers, they will have the Holy Spirit in them to help them guide their kids. It won't be perfect teaching since we are talking about mortals, but generally the info should be on target. If the people are unbelievers, then who knows. If an attempt is made to teach about God, the effort will be less successful.

God can enter anyone's life at anytime - regardless of their unbringing. However, God would be more likely to bless the country if kids were brought up knowing and serving God from the beginning rather than robbing, stealing, and murdering before coming to God later on in life.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when are getting up again".

If you want your children to follow God, you must make God a part of your everyday life, you must teach your children diligently to see God in all aspect of life, not just those that are church related.
Amen... ILNC !!!

Prov. 20:11
Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right.

..........and the Lord tells us too,
Prov. 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Also.....
Psalm 78:5-6
5. He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their
children,
6. so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.

Prov. 14:26
He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity