U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 AM

281 posts, read 231,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is why you get everything about God wrong, Mike. This selfish conception of what God is like. God did NOT create everything "for His own pleasure and purpose." Everything else you believe and accept about God's motives and purposes derive from this erroneous selfish (satanic) view of God. God created out of Love to share Love, period.
Thou art worthy o Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; for thou has created all things and for thy pleasure they are created. (Rev. 4:11, KJV)

hmm. Sounds like God created us for his pleasure.

Now, granted there are a few thoughts on this verse, here are four:

1.) We were created because he was please to do so.
2.) We were created so that he can take pleasure in us.
3.) We were created to have pleasure in him forever. (Westminster confession)
4.) We were created out of for his purposes (will), for he does whatever he pleases.

I'm more of a point 4 person myself, but I'm also a Sovereign Grace kinda guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM

17,696 posts, read 8,870,974 times
"We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins on the cross, bearing the judgment demanded by God's Holy Justice
against sin, thus, making it possible for God to remain Just and at the same time to justify those who believe in Jesus."

Therefore, you will unerringly not die?
Yet, the wages of sin is death.

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-25-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,568,904 times
Another observation about the Berean Call "ministry" and Newsletter which I received and read for many years: they were extremely anti-Catholic and also anti- (insert most any denomination that is not Fundamentalist Extremist). Often people would write in to cancel their subscriptions and surprisingly enough a fair number of those letters from people wanting to cancel were published, a token scattered among the majority of letters singing the praises of this "cutting edge" ministry. The "owner" of the Berean Call does take himself very seriously, I will give him that. He is sincere and genuinely sees himself as a protector of the tiny flock of God (i.e. those who fall in line with his very narrow views).

Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,568,904 times
Quote:
You make the same mistake that Mike, et al. do. God does NOTHING for God. God NEEDS nothing. We can give God NOTHING. It is all about what God gives and shares with us in love, period. Every time you ascribe a selfish motive to God (meaning you think that God needs or gets ANYTHING from us) . . . you are perpetuating this wrong idea of a selfish, jealous, vengeful, egotistical God of our primitive forebears.
That's a fact. A wrong IMAGE of God spoils the very possibility of a right relationship with him. It also makes it impossible to minister life to others.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 PM

20,299 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Quote:
You make the same mistake that Mike, et al. do. God does NOTHING for God. God NEEDS nothing. We can give God NOTHING. It is all about what God gives and shares with us in love, period. Every time you ascribe a selfish motive to God (meaning you think that God needs or gets ANYTHING from us) . . . you are perpetuating this wrong idea of a selfish, jealous, vengeful, egotistical God of our primitive forebears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That's a fact. A wrong IMAGE of God spoils the very possibility of a right relationship with him. It also makes it impossible to minister life to others.

No, what he said is not a fact. He was proven wrong in post #18 in which I replied to his claim in post #13 that God doesn't do anything for His own pleasure and purpose. His post above to which you replied was related to that. Here is my reply from post #18 again.

[quote=Mike555;25331379]Everything that God does is for His pleasure, His purpose, and His glory.

Isa. 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done, Saying, 'My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure';

Rom. 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Psalm 19:1 For the choir director. A Psalm of David. The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.

Isa. 43:7 Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made."

Last edited by Mike555; 07-25-2012 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or