Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,480,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
holy rollers

Can I use this term? ... and btw... great post. I will have to see if I can rep you for it...

Added: Matthew 23:26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

It seems to me that Jesus did a lot of preaching on how the INSIDE of a person affects the outside more than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,542,919 times
Quote:
I have never in my life met a truly holy person. All the people i ever met who claimed to be holy were the most bigoted and hypocritical, sanctimonious frauds i have ever met. And i have been around ... My father having been a preacher who changed denominations various times, i have been to many different churches. And its always the same. Ill believe you are holy when you transcend and are no longer seen or heard among men, until then, ill count those who say they are holy as the greatest liars and sinners of all ...

Prime comes before the fall ...

He who exalts himself shall be abased, he who humbles him self shall be exalted.

You go ahead and be like the pharisee whom Christ said was not justified. The one who thanked God that he was not like other sinners.

Ill be like the publican and pray for mercy while confess that i am a sinner.
It is absolutely arrogant/prideful for one to claim what is and what is not of God.

The disciple's job is to share the "good news" with everyone and do his best to love the most unlovable neighbor() that he/she encounters along the way...then shake off the dust when rejected and allow the seed to grow in HIS TIME.

This is what Jesus admonished his 2x2 disciples to do...

GOOD NEWS:
"FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON TO THE CROSS AS THE 'ULTIMATE' RANSOM FOR THE SIN OF MANKIND"

Blessings...

Old 04-30-2010, 07:24 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,917,306 times
Because I tell the truth, I am accused of being better than anyone else; that makes them false accusers and liars. People are denying scripture when they say that we are not to be holy -- and I teach accordingly.

Heb.3
[13] But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

It's possible that the Apostle Paul was falsely accused too when he said to exhort one another because of the deceitfulness of sin. But the fact is we are to be holy, and liars are not holy. God has a standard, and it is holiness.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Because I tell the truth, I am accused of being better than anyone else; that makes them false accusers and liars. People are denying scripture when they say that we are not to be holy -- and I teach accordingly.

Heb.3
[13] But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

It's possible that the Apostle Paul was falsely accused too when he said to exhort one another because of the deceitfulness of sin. But the fact is we are to be holy, and liars are not holy. God has a standard, and it is holiness.

It's called the Pharisee's card. Some play that game so well, unfortunately to their own detriment. So shall it be, the Bible said it would be so, before anyone of us did. Run your race!!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Not to get off the subject, the thief did fear God and spoke it...
Luke 23:40
But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? He did believe.
42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
I am the thief, what more would I want than to be remembered in God's Kingdom? What am I crying for when I know I am guilty and deserve punishment? Mercy! He acknowledged his sin and made a stand for Jesus not being guilty of sin..
The verbal acknowledgement of Jesus' Kingdom is belief He is who He says.
It does not matter if we are first to believe, our works are our duty to God, not our salvation. If we truly believe last, salvation is upon us.
The first will be last and the last will be first. God looks at the heart.
The Parable of the workers, Matthew 20.
YES!! YES!! Trying to rep u........

Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The thief's fear of God, however great it was in the hour of his death, did not stop him from being a liar and a thief all his life at least until he finally got caught and condemned.

And beside that ... Where not the greatest liars of all the Sadducee's and the Pharisee's? And what did Christ pray at the moment of his dying? He prayed to God asking him to forgive them ...

All liars have their part in the lake of fire ... And let all people be liars and God speak the truth.

Romans 3:4
"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."

When are we justified? How do we overcome? We are justified when we with our words confess that we are all sinners and liars and desire mercy(Luk 18:9-14), and that only God is true and righteous. We overcome in the victory which Christ alone achieved on the Cross for all.

Amen ...

BY SAYING YES!! WE GOT TO SAY YES to HIS will and HIS ways....amen?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 AM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
It's called the Pharisee's card. Some play that game so well, unfortunately to their own detriment. So shall it be, the Bible said it would be so, before anyone of us did. Run your race!!
Nonesense. Stop this antagonistic crap, Betsey. When two people truly BELIEVE OPPOSITE things . . . NEITHER ONE is a liar for supporting their BELIEFS! To be a liar . . . you have to proclaim what you DO NOT BELIEVE is true. Stop this causing dissension among the brothers and sisters. THAT is something you should be more worried about.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,725,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
So then tell me ... If those of you who teach that "true Christians" never sin, who is it that the pharisee represents in the parable?

Why is the publican who is a sinner justified and the pharisee who claims not to sin not justified?

How do you understand the parable? What do you think Jesus meant in its telling?

And if legalists such as yourselves are not the ones who are teaching the leaven of the pharisees, then who is? And what is the leaven of the pharisees?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nonesense. Stop this antagonistic crap, Betsey. When two people truly BELIEVE OPPOSITE things . . . NEITHER ONE is a liar for supporting their BELIEFS! To be a liar . . . you have to proclaim what you DO NOT BELIEVE is true. Stop this causing dissension among the brothers and sisters. THAT is something you should be more worried about.
Their beliefs? Since YOU may have a hard time deciphering who the liar is, let me help (here's a huge clue): IT'S THE ONE THAT DOESN'T LINE UP WITH THE WORDS OF GOD. ALL OF IT!! Not some of it.......ALL OF IT! Half truths ARE, and will always be......NON-TRUTHS!

And believe God, not me, not them, not you, he, nor she......THE TRUTH NEEDS NO HELP FROM any of us! THE TRUTH HAS NO PROBLEM STANDING ON IT'S OWN! Dissension my foot! That's not my job!, He does the separating, all by Himself!

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 04-30-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
So then tell me ... If those of you who teach that "true Christians" never sin, who is it that the pharisee represents in the parable?

Why is the publican who is a sinner justified and the pharisee who claims not to sin not justified?

How do you understand the parable? What do you think Jesus meant in its telling?

And if legalists such as yourselves are not the ones who are teaching the leaven of the pharisees, then who is? And what is the leaven of the pharisees?
Some clarifying questions.....

Question #1. Who are the "those of you" of which you are speaking? The ones that teach "true Christians never sin?

Question #2. Have you ever heard me say: That "real Christians" never sin?

Question #3
. What would that make ME, ME BETSEY...if I told you that I never sinned? Hence; the topic?

I have some more, but as not to overwhelm you, let's start here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity