U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 PM

162 posts, read 177,367 times

Advertisements

Purgatory: Purifying Fire or Fatal Fable

Quote:
By Mike Gendron
Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries (http://www.pro-gospel.org/x2/ - broken link)

Catholics who believe a purifying fire will purge away their sins are deluded victims of a fatal fabrication. The invention of a place for purification of sins called Purgatory is one of the most seductive attractions of the Roman Catholic religion. Pastor John MacArthur of Grace Community Church described this deceptive hoax brilliantly. He said:
"Purgatory is what makes the whole system work. Take out Purgatory and it's a hard sell to be a Catholic. Purgatory is the safety net, when you die, you don't go to hell. You go [to Purgatory] and get things sorted out and finally get to heaven if you've been a good Catholic. In the Catholic system you can never know you're going to heaven. You just keep trying and trying...in a long journey toward perfection. Well, it's pretty discouraging. People in that system are guilt-ridden, fear-ridden and have no knowledge of whether or not they're going to get into the Kingdom. If there's no Purgatory, there's no safety net to catch me and give me some opportunity to get into heaven. It's a second chance, it's another chance after death" (from "The Pope and the Papacy").
The Origin of Purgatory

There was no mention of Purgatory during the first two centuries of the church. However....

Read more:
Purgatory: Purifying Fire or Fatal Fable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM

7,880 posts, read 6,696,496 times
Many Evangelist will speak to new converts and people who may rely on hope of a entering Heaven by purgatory live the carnal life a put your hope in second best........many evangelist reject purgatory and condemn Catholics for false teaching, but purgatory is needed for all anointed believer going into Heaven and if you are not born again you will not see purgatory or Heaven...... See many people going into Heaven have carnal ideas that must be purged before they can be free in Heaven........Many anointed Children on God have accepted the lying spirit, or other evil spirit and the Lord Jesus gives them a pass, because He died for our sins and we are not condemned by our sins.... But when we go to Heaven we will go through Orientation or purgatory for our souls to be purified to be with the Lord God who is already purified.........

Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Many Evangelist will speak to new converts and people who may rely on hope of a entering Heaven by purgatory live the carnal life a put your hope in second best........many evangelist reject purgatory and condemn Catholics for false teaching, but purgatory is needed for all anointed believer going into Heaven and if you are not born again you will not see purgatory or Heaven...... See many people going into Heaven have carnal ideas that must be purged before they can be free in Heaven........Many anointed Children on God have accepted the lying spirit, or other evil spirit and the Lord Jesus gives them a pass, because He died for our sins and we are not condemned by our sins.... But when we go to Heaven we will go through Orientation or purgatory for our souls to be purified to be with the Lord God who is already purified.........
Please provide Scripture to support the deception of Purgatory. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,969,077 times
I wonder what the sin's that will not be forgiven in this life nor the life to come means

Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I wonder what the sin's that will not be forgiven in this life nor the life to come means
Interesting, I don't know of any Scripture like that.

But I do know about this one that talks about blaspheming the Holy Spirit, which is rejecting the calling to Christ and salvation.

Matthew 12

30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

This is the sin of unbelief, not a sin by a born-again believer. The sin of unbelief is the only sin that can never be forgiven, because after death, there are no more chances.

Now, do you have Scripture to provide?

Please read the article and pray that God reveals the truth to you. Christ finished the work on the cross, come out of the religious system that adds to the sufficiency of the once and for all atonement.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,724,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
Christ finished the work on the cross, come out of the religious system that adds to the sufficiency of the once and for all atonement.
I understood from your other posts that you believe someone has to do something to add to the work on the cross.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I understood from your other posts that you believe someone has to do something to add to the work on the cross.
One adds to the work of the cross by adding additional requirements (like Sacraments) and one also denies the sufficiency of the work of the cross by adding false doctrines (like Purgatory).

Please read the article.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 8,460 times
Default Purgatory

I know that God uses fire to do two things: Purify and destroy. The question is this, what happens to a person that confessed that they believe in Jesus Christ like Paul says in Romans and they are saved, but die without repenting? Are they shut out of the Kingdom of God forever, but still remain in heaven or do they go to a place to be purified? Remember Isaiah in chapter 6 was purified by one the Seraphs with fire so that he could receive the Holy Spirit so that God could communicate with him. It is possible that there is such a place. One of the most troubling times for Jesus was just before He died, sin entered Him and the Holy Spirit had to leave Him. This is what Jesus agonized about in the Garden, because He knew that for the first time ever, He was going tobe seperated from God. When He died, Did His soul have to be purified or purged of the sin that entered Him? And if so, then Jesus would've been the first one to have gone through what they call purgatory. If one can be purified here, then I think one that is deserving because they believe in Jesus Christ can be purified after they die so that they can enter into heaven pure and clean. There's a lot to think about, Jesus did go through everything that would be necessary for man to be able to enter into heaven so that they will have eternal life. It's like saying that He covered all the bases. There will still be some that will still reject Him.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,969,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
Interesting, I don't know of any Scripture like that.

But I do know about this one that talks about blaspheming the Holy Spirit, which is rejecting the calling to Christ and salvation.

Matthew 12

30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

This is the sin of unbelief, not a sin by a born-again believer. The sin of unbelief is the only sin that can never be forgiven, because after death, there are no more chances.

Now, do you have Scripture to provide?

Please read the article and pray that God reveals the truth to you. Christ finished the work on the cross, come out of the religious system that adds to the sufficiency of the once and for all atonement.

Yes, that is the verse.
It would seem to imply that there are sins that WILL be forgiven in the age to come.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Yes, that is the verse.
It would seem to imply that there are sins that WILL be forgiven in the age to come.
It does nothing of the sort. It is speaking of a specific sin, the unpardonable sin of rejecting the Holy Spirit's drawing unto salvation. Why trust a doctrine built on "seeming" things that was instituted to make the Catholic church rich and control the people? There is absolutely nothing biblical about it. Please study on the matter - the whole of Catholicism is built on this extrabiblical doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity