U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,418,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Catholics are by no means monolithic. During my early formation, a deacon told me he never went to confession. That he just went straight to Jesus.
And it seemed to work for him.

However,I do avail myself of a formal confession periodically.

If I were to steal something from any of you, my confession would be to go to you, ask for your forgiveness, and return what I had taken. And hopefully you would give me the gift of your forgiveness. That I believe is biblical.

On the otherhand, if my transgression is not against an individual that I can approach, but more like spiritual rebelliousness, lust, hatred towards otheres etc, .... I find going to a priest and hearing the words,
"your sins are forgiven, go and sin no more" very comforting.
And this is the main point I believe Jesus was trying to make... it is all about the person. God does not need your confession, he already knows all there is to know and even more than you do about why you did what you did. If you sin against another then you should repair that relationship (following the "love your neighbor" law) by confessing to that person. If it is a problem within yourself and it comforts your conscience to be told you are forgiven then confessing to a priest is a benefit.

The bottom line is to be right with others and yourself so you can freely love God and your neighbor as yourself. If you harbor guilt then you are not free to love God and others..

Acts 24:16 So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,302,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
They said of Jesus:
Mar 2:7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

The disciples were given the right to forgive sins or hold sins against people (such as Ananias, with Sapphira) . . .

John 20:23 "If you should be forgiving anyone's sins, they have been forgiven them. If anyone's you should be holding, they are held."

Therefore?
Matthew Henry:

Two ways the apostles and ministers of Christ remit and retain sin, and both as having authority:[1.] By sound doctrine. They are commissioned to tell the world that salvation is to be had upon gospel terms, and no other, and they shall find God will say Amen to it; so shall their doom be. [2.] By a strict discipline, applying the general rule of the gospel to particular persons. "Whom you admit into communion with you, according to the rules of the gospel, God will admit into communion with himself; and whom you cast out of communion as impenitent, and obstinate in scandalous and infectious sins, shall be bound over to the righteous judgment of God.

This has nothing to do with "forgiving sins" on the apostles part.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
And this is the main point I believe Jesus was trying to make... it is all about the person. God does not need your confession, he already knows all there is to know and even more than you do about why you did what you did. If you sin against another then you should repair that relationship (following the "love your neighbor" law) by confessing to that person. If it is a problem within yourself and it comforts your conscience to be told you are forgiven then confessing to a priest is a benefit.

The bottom line is to be right with others and yourself so you can freely love God and your neighbor as yourself. If you harbor guilt then you are not free to love God and others..

Oh man!

We Catholics do guilt real good!

(I won't quote the exact verses, but you"ll know what I mean)

I also think of; If while approaching the "alter" I know I have harmed my "brother", leave my gift, and return to my "brother" and make things right.

Or, "what you have done for the least of these, you have done for me"

I agree, it's all about relationship with God and my "brother".

I believe they are interconnected.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM

3,587 posts, read 466,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

amen ... good post

Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,481,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
They said of Jesus:
Mar 2:7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

The disciples were given the right to forgive sins or hold sins against people (such as Ananias, with Sapphira) . . .

John 20:23 "If you should be forgiving anyone's sins, they have been forgiven them. If anyone's you should be holding, they are held."

Therefore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Matthew Henry:

Two ways the apostles and ministers of Christ remit and retain sin, and both as having authority:[1.] By sound doctrine. They are commissioned to tell the world that salvation is to be had upon gospel terms, and no other, and they shall find God will say Amen to it; so shall their doom be. [2.] By a strict discipline, applying the general rule of the gospel to particular persons. "Whom you admit into communion with you, according to the rules of the gospel, God will admit into communion with himself; and whom you cast out of communion as impenitent, and obstinate in scandalous and infectious sins, shall be bound over to the righteous judgment of God.

This has nothing to do with "forgiving sins" on the apostles part.
It has everything to do with forgiving sins on the apostles part.
Jesus gave them the right to not only forgive sins but to also hold their sins against them. This they did with Ananias and Sapphira when they held their sin against them rather than forgiving them. And we all know what happened to those two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity