U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,287,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The pope replaces Christ.
When you can find one practicing Catholic that agrees with this ridiculous comment, then I will send you a gracious apology. Christ is the head of the Catholic Church but when you have over 1 billion members, someone's has to take care of business down here on earth.

Jesus did NOT leave us a Bible. He left us a living Church, the Catholic Church. The Pope is it's earthly head. Period.

As far as you're posts. Don't give me bull about not having bad intent. No one is buying it.

What's that commandment: "Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." There's a little bit of Christianity you like to ignore.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,967,772 times
I'm I hearing that the Bible existed prior to the Church?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:54 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,816,390 times
please do not malign other religions such as catholicism with untruths----catholics put god above all else--the pope is the LEADER ---not a worshipped god---just as the apostles were teachers and leaders of GOD'S word

Old 05-01-2010, 04:02 PM

723 posts, read 859,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
please do not malign other religions such as catholicism with untruths----catholics put god above all else--the pope is the LEADER ---not a worshipped god---just as the apostles were teachers and leaders of GOD'S word

I do not speak for the individual believer! Nor does the church speak for the catholics. But the church does hold the pope to be Christ on earth!!

Throughout the centuries of Rome's existence, the popes have regularly claimed to be divine. As the supposed successor of Peter, the Pope claims infallibility, the position of God on Earth, and ability to judge and excommunicate angels.
The Catholic Council of Trent in 1545 declared this:
We define that the Holy Apostolic See and the Roman Pontiff hold primacy over the whole world.
In the same century, Cardinal Robert Bellarmine stated this:
All names which in the Scriptures are applied to Christ, by virtue of which it is established that he is over the church, all the same names are applied to the Pope
In 1895 an article from the Catholic National said this:
The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of flesh

He [the Pope] can pronounce sentences and judgments in contradiction to the rights of nations, to the law of God and man...He can free himself from the commands of the apostles, he being their superior, and from the rules of the Old Testament...The Pope has power to change times, to abrogate laws, and to dispense with all things, even the precepts of Christ.
In 1512 Christopher Marcellus said this to Pope Julius II:
Take care that we lose not that salvation, that life and breath which thou hast given us, for thou art our shepherd, thou art our physician, thou art our governor, thou art our husbandman, thou art finally another God on earth

The Gloss of Extravagantes of Pope John XXII says this:
To believe that our Lord God the Popehas not the power to decree as he is decreed, is to be deemed heretical.

And speaking about the same document, Father A. Pereira said this:
It is quite certain that Popes have never disapproved or rejected this title "Lord God the Pope" for the passage in the gloss referred to appears in the edition of the Canon Law published in Rome by Gregory XIII.
Papal documents also say this:
Those whom the Pope of Rome doth separate, it is not a man that separates them but God. For the Pope holdeth place on earth, not simply of a man but of the true God....dissolves, not by human but rather by divine authority....I am in all and above all, so that God Himself and I, the vicar of God, hath both one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do...wherefore, if those things that I do be said not to be done of man, but of God, what do you make of me but God? Again, if prelates of the Church be called of Constantine for gods, I then being above all prelates, seem by this reason to be above all gods

Last edited by ALMOST2L8; 05-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,245,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I do not speak for the individual believer! Nor does the church speak for the catholics. But the church does hold the pope to be Christ on earth!!

Throughout the centuries of Rome's existence, the popes have regularly claimed to be divine. As the supposed successor of Peter, the Pope claims infallibility, the position of God on Earth, and ability to judge and excommunicate angels.
The Catholic Council of Trent in 1545 declared this:
We define that the Holy Apostolic See and the Roman Pontiff hold primacy over the whole world.
In the same century, Cardinal Robert Bellarmine stated this:
All names which in the Scriptures are applied to Christ, by virtue of which it is established that he is over the church, all the same names are applied to the Pope
In 1895 an article from the Catholic National said this:
The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of flesh

He [the Pope] can pronounce sentences and judgments in contradiction to the rights of nations, to the law of God and man...He can free himself from the commands of the apostles, he being their superior, and from the rules of the Old Testament...The Pope has power to change times, to abrogate laws, and to dispense with all things, even the precepts of Christ.
In 1512 Christopher Marcellus said this to Pope Julius II:
Take care that we lose not that salvation, that life and breath which thou hast given us, for thou art our shepherd, thou art our physician, thou art our governor, thou art our husbandman, thou art finally another God on earth

The Gloss of Extravagantes of Pope John XXII says this:
To believe that our Lord God the Popehas not the power to decree as he is decreed, is to be deemed heretical.

And speaking about the same document, Father A. Pereira said this:
It is quite certain that Popes have never disapproved or rejected this title "Lord God the Pope" for the passage in the gloss referred to appears in the edition of the Canon Law published in Rome by Gregory XIII.
Papal documents also say this:
Those whom the Pope of Rome doth separate, it is not a man that separates them but God. For the Pope holdeth place on earth, not simply of a man but of the true God....dissolves, not by human but rather by divine authority....I am in all and above all, so that God Himself and I, the vicar of God, hath both one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do...wherefore, if those things that I do be said not to be done of man, but of God, what do you make of me but God? Again, if prelates of the Church be called of Constantine for gods, I then being above all prelates, seem by this reason to be above all gods
Brother! The Spirit of Truth is upon you! Praise be to God!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 PM

701 posts, read 659,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The Pope purpose is the be a leader of the Roman Catholic Church for Lord Jesus Christ....... Most leader of Christian Church are Gifted by Holy Spirit to lead a flock of the Children of God for Lord Jesus Christ............ The Golden Cup you read about is authored by a hate group at rejects the Pope and his Church and reject Lord Jesus Christ lead in these Children of God..... These hate groups teach false ideas to hate the Pope and spead lies .... The best thing you can do about these Golden Cup is to put this books in the trash where these books belong.........

You mean the leaders of the Protestant Reformation? You're are saying that they were part of a hate group and rejected Christ? I would recommend picking up a history book and study it right along with the Books of Daniel and Revelation. The very Bible that was canonized by the Roman Catholic Church, is the very Bible that reveals her true nature and identity. That is not to say that this nature/identity is shared by all Catholics, it is simply referencing the ideology and teaching that is at it's core.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:58 PM

63 posts, read 50,064 times
Folks, what Oakback is saying is correct regarding the Pope and his role in leading the Catholic Church. I don't know why I continue to be surprised by the negative and somethings even hateful attitudes of other christians towards the Catholic Church and faith on this messageboard but I still find myself shaking my head in disbelief. It is a sad commentary on the state of christianity.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 PM

13,468 posts, read 21,235,453 times
This thread quickly went fron five pages to three..It is now reopened..any more Catholic bashing or insulting each other and infractions will be generously handed out..

The OP asked what is the job of the Pope ?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-02-2010 at 12:22 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 AM

11,702 posts, read 13,135,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I have not known one single Catholic who held such a belief, nor have I ever seen it any literature produced by the RC church. Your statement is a complete fabrication.

Quote:
Throughout the centuries of Rome's existence, the popes have regularly claimed to be divine....
Never, not once.

What other purpose can your misrepresentations have than to stir up hatred? I'm no Catholic, but - Shame on you.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 AM

3,803 posts, read 4,816,390 times
i sincerely hope eventually people would understand that christian based religions hold God above all others no matter what denomination we call ourselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity