U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,052,449 times

Advertisements

Christ endowed the Church's shepherds with the charism of infallibility in matters of faith and morals. Why does everyone think the Pope is infallible in every thing he says? Infallibility only comes into play when the Pope talking about faith and morals. The Pope's every day opinions are just that............opinions or suggestions. If it has nothing to do with faith or morals, it is not infallible. Too many people take things out of context.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,285,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Christ endowed the Church's shepherds with the charism of infallibility in matters of faith and morals. Why does everyone think the Pope is infallible in every thing he says? Infallibility only comes into play when the Pope talking about faith and morals. The Pope's every day opinions are just that............opinions or suggestions. If it has nothing to do with faith or morals, it is not infallible. Too many people take things out of context.
Okiegirlfriend, it's even less than that. It's only if he speaks ex-cathedra or from the chair. He will tell you if he is speaking from the chair. If he doesn't specifically state that, he is indeed fallible.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:28 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,977,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Me thinks priests, popes,preachers,brothers,bishops etc ad nauseum, are the LAST people anyone should be taking advice on morality from! Pedophiles,thieves,rapists and hypocrites. And I dont care what denominational flag they fly. As for this Pope in particular, he could have stopped some of the perversion displayed by some priests many years ago. But he chose to sweep it under the rug. So why would anyone look to him for teachings on morality? Infallible my Irish butt!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:46 AM

701 posts, read 658,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
OK I'm going to settle MY position on this matter. I do not hate anyone!! I love my Mother with all my heart (a catholic), my grandmother (also catholic), and the rest of my family (all catholic). Do I think that catholics praise the pope as God?? NO, I do not!! Maybe not a single catholic thinks of the pope as anything but another man like us. Which was not my point anyway!! My positioning is based on statements made by previous popes themselves, and some select people within the vatican. If satan says he is God on earth, and starts a religion, do you think he cares wether or not you truly consider him to be God?? No. He only cares that you turn your back on the one true God. The one who "...made heaven and earth,the sea and all that in them is."

Exodus 20:11

Look up everything I said regarding the pope for yourself. Absolutely no fabrication whatsoever!!

Here is an excerpt from the catholic catechism: with link below!!

890 The mission of the Magisterium is linked to the definitive nature of the covenant established by God with his people in Christ. It is this Magisterium's task to preserve God's people from deviations and defections and to guarantee them the objective possibility of professing the true faith without error. Thus, the pastoral duty of the Magisterium is aimed at seeing to it that the People of God abides in the truth that liberates. To fulfill this service, Christ endowed the Church's shepherds with the charism of infallibility in matters of faith and morals. The exercise of this charism takes several forms: 891 "The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals.... The infallibility promised to the Church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with Peter's successor, they exercise the supreme Magisterium," above all in an Ecumenical Council.418 When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine "for belief as being divinely revealed,"419 and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions "must be adhered to with the obedience of faith."420 This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself.421

LINK: Catechism of the Catholic Church - Christ's Faithful - Hierarchy, Laity, Consecrated Life

I am very happy to hear that the catholics on CD do not look at the pope as God, but when you follow a man who claims to have the authority of Christ on earth, there is something very, very wrong!!! When studied in depth, the catholic catechism reveals that when the pope speaks Christ is speaking, and must be obeyed as such!! The catechism also states that the saturday sabbath is absolutely replaced by sunday. In which case there is no scriptural authority!! The bible only states that they broke bread on the first day. Not change the sabbath. Breaking bread means to eat. They must have done that daily. Some will say "Oh but it says that he preached to them too". But I say they were told to preach. I'm guessing that they preached everyday to as many as would listen. Still not a reason to say they changed the sabbath.

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Preach on brother! Preach on!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 PM

795 posts, read 2,038,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
But what does he do?!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,487,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Nice one....

Old 05-26-2010, 11:07 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,285,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I am very happy to hear that the catholics on CD do not look at the pope as God, but when you follow a man who claims to have the authority of Christ on earth, there is something very, very wrong!!! When studied in depth, the catholic catechism reveals that when the pope speaks Christ is speaking, and must be obeyed as such!! The catechism also states that the saturday sabbath is absolutely replaced by sunday. In which case there is no scriptural authority!! The bible only states that they broke bread on the first day. Not change the sabbath. Breaking bread means to eat. They must have done that daily. Some will say "Oh but it says that he preached to them too". But I say they were told to preach. I'm guessing that they preached everyday to as many as would listen. Still not a reason to say they changed the sabbath.

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
It comes down to Jesus giving Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 16:18-19
18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind (prohibit) on earth shall be bound (prohibited) in heaven, and whatever you loose (permit) on earth shall be loosed (permitted) in heaven."

Luke 10:16
16 "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

Jesus gave Authority to Peter who set up a means of Authority succession. So the next Pope had the Authority, and then the next one, and thus, through Apostolic succession, Pope Benedict XVI has the Authority originally given to Peter and passed down through almost 2000 years of Apostolic history. ALL of them had the power to change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. They didn't need scriptural authority because for the first 400 years, there was no Bible. There were loose and inconsistent sets of books at various major cities in the early Christian world until finally Christ's holy catholic and apostolic Church hashed it out, and prayed, and deliberated, on what books would become part of scripture. This was done based on a few things. Was the author confirmed authentic? Did the book agree with the established TRADITIONS** and orthodox teaching of the Church? That's it. Thank you, Catholic Church, for a job well done.

**1 Corinthians 11:2 - I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.

**Galatians 1:14 - and I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers.

**2 Thessalonians 2:15 - So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 PM

21,282 posts, read 20,904,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Okiegirlfriend, it's even less than that. It's only if he speaks ex-cathedra or from the chair. He will tell you if he is speaking from the chair. If he doesn't specifically state that, he is indeed fallible.
That just reminded me of something I heard once. I don't know if you'll think it's funny or not, but I did. It was: "In Mormonism, the Prophet's fallible, but nobody believes it. In Catholicism, the Pope's infallible, but nobody believes it."

Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 PM

723 posts, read 858,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
It comes down to Jesus giving Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 16:18-19
18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind (prohibit) on earth shall be bound (prohibited) in heaven, and whatever you loose (permit) on earth shall be loosed (permitted) in heaven."
Sorry, but there is no way I base my whole belief system on two verses. Here is one verse I believe:

Daniel 7:25
"And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and THINK TO CHANGE TIMES AND LAWS: .......

The sabbath is the only commandment that was both a specific time and law!! So basically you are saying that if the pope says murder is no longer a sin, then we can kill at will?? I do not understand what type of authority you are saying this man has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj
ALL of them had the power to change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. They didn't need scriptural authority because for the first 400 years, there was no Bible.
The ten commandments were created well before any pope or even Peter, so when did God say that we no longer hold the sabbath commandment holy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj
**Galatians 1:14 - and I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers.
Judaism was a religion before Catholicism, correct?? Why did they keep the seventh day holy??? What does the above verse have to do with Catholicism???

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 PM

2,788 posts, read 4,242,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've never understood what he stands for. I know he represents something about the Catholic Church but other than that I have no idea. Ever since I was a kid I heard and seen news about the Pope. But I have no idea what he does and what exactly makes him more holy than anyone else? People look at him like God or something. I see various women and children crying when he comes to their country. I see them kissing his ring. And that Golden Cup he has. I read about a golden cup in the bible that is suppose to represent the filth of babylon or something like that. I don't understand why he would have something like that in his possession knowing full well what the bible says about it. Need some insight on this please! Thanks.

He has no purpose for God. Only to help serve Babylon the Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity