Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:53 PM

701 posts, read 800,479 times

Advertisements

The official position of the Roman Catholic Church, is in fact one not shared or many times even known to the over 1 billion Catholics on earth. The statements made here, by myself and others, regarding the papacy, are not trying to say that all Catholics believe what the official position of the Church is. I can't recall meeting a Catholic person who believes the Pope is God, however, they also many times don't understand that much of their activities and traditions were instituted by the Papacy and have no basis in scripture. Study history and search out for yourselves, what the Papacy has said about itself. Study the history of the Reformation. Why was the Bible, chained to walls until the Reformation came about? Study, study, study. Not, what those on some forum says, but what history says, and what the institution itself says, not only what they say now but what they have said for the last 1500 years.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have not known one single Catholic who held such a belief, nor have I ever seen it any literature produced by the RC church. Your statement is a complete fabrication.

Never, not once.

What other purpose can your misrepresentations have than to stir up hatred? I'm no Catholic, but - Shame on you.
You are lying to yourself right about now and you need to stop.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
[quote=juj;13990582]

He left us a living Church, the Catholic Church. The Pope is it's earthly head. Period.

QUOTE]

Hmmm...

Here's what the Bible says about it:

Colossians 1:17-19

17"And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell"

The "he" indicated here was, and still is, Jesus, not a Pope. Just sayin...

Bud

Old 05-03-2010, 05:02 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,061 times
OK I'm going to settle MY position on this matter. I do not hate anyone!! I love my Mother with all my heart (a catholic), my grandmother (also catholic), and the rest of my family (all catholic). Do I think that catholics praise the pope as God?? NO, I do not!! Maybe not a single catholic thinks of the pope as anything but another man like us. Which was not my point anyway!! My positioning is based on statements made by previous popes themselves, and some select people within the vatican. If satan says he is God on earth, and starts a religion, do you think he cares wether or not you truly consider him to be God?? No. He only cares that you turn your back on the one true God. The one who "...made heaven and earth,the sea and all that in them is."

Exodus 20:11

Look up everything I said regarding the pope for yourself. Absolutely no fabrication whatsoever!!

Here is an excerpt from the catholic catechism: with link below!!

890 The mission of the Magisterium is linked to the definitive nature of the covenant established by God with his people in Christ. It is this Magisterium's task to preserve God's people from deviations and defections and to guarantee them the objective possibility of professing the true faith without error. Thus, the pastoral duty of the Magisterium is aimed at seeing to it that the People of God abides in the truth that liberates. To fulfill this service, Christ endowed the Church's shepherds with the charism of infallibility in matters of faith and morals. The exercise of this charism takes several forms: 891 "The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals.... The infallibility promised to the Church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with Peter's successor, they exercise the supreme Magisterium," above all in an Ecumenical Council.418 When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine "for belief as being divinely revealed,"419 and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions "must be adhered to with the obedience of faith."420 This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself.421

LINK: Catechism of the Catholic Church - Christ's Faithful - Hierarchy, Laity, Consecrated Life

I am very happy to hear that the catholics on CD do not look at the pope as God, but when you follow a man who claims to have the authority of Christ on earth, there is something very, very wrong!!! When studied in depth, the catholic catechism reveals that when the pope speaks Christ is speaking, and must be obeyed as such!! The catechism also states that the saturday sabbath is absolutely replaced by sunday. In which case there is no scriptural authority!! The bible only states that they broke bread on the first day. Not change the sabbath. Breaking bread means to eat. They must have done that daily. Some will say "Oh but it says that he preached to them too". But I say they were told to preach. I'm guessing that they preached everyday to as many as would listen. Still not a reason to say they changed the sabbath.

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost2l8 View Post
ok i'm going to settle my position on this matter. I do not hate anyone!! I love my mother with all my heart (a catholic), my grandmother (also catholic), and the rest of my family (all catholic). Do i think that catholics praise the pope as god?? No, i do not!! Maybe not a single catholic thinks of the pope as anything but another man like us. Which was not my point anyway!! My positioning is based on statements made by previous popes themselves, and some select people within the vatican. If satan says he is god on earth, and starts a religion, do you think he cares wether or not you truly consider him to be god?? No. He only cares that you turn your back on the one true god. The one who "...made heaven and earth,the sea and all that in them is."

exodus 20:11

look up everything i said regarding the pope for yourself. Absolutely no fabrication whatsoever!!

Here is an excerpt from the catholic catechism: With link below!!

890 the mission of the magisterium is linked to the definitive nature of the covenant established by god with his people in christ. It is this magisterium's task to preserve god's people from deviations and defections and to guarantee them the objective possibility of professing the true faith without error. Thus, the pastoral duty of the magisterium is aimed at seeing to it that the people of god abides in the truth that liberates. To fulfill this service, christ endowed the church's shepherds with the charism of infallibility in matters of faith and morals. The exercise of this charism takes several forms: 891 "the roman pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals.... The infallibility promised to the church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with peter's successor, they exercise the supreme magisterium," above all in an ecumenical council.418 when the church through its supreme magisterium proposes a doctrine "for belief as being divinely revealed,"419 and as the teaching of christ, the definitions "must be adhered to with the obedience of faith."420 this infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine revelation itself.421

link: catechism of the catholic church - christ's faithful - hierarchy, laity, consecrated life

i am very happy to hear that the catholics on cd do not look at the pope as god, but when you follow a man who claims to have the authority of christ on earth, there is something very, very wrong!!! When studied in depth, the catholic catechism reveals that when the pope speaks christ is speaking, and must be obeyed as such!! The catechism also states that the saturday sabbath is absolutely replaced by sunday. In which case there is no scriptural authority!! The bible only states that they broke bread on the first day. Not change the sabbath. Breaking bread means to eat. They must have done that daily. Some will say "oh but it says that he preached to them too". But i say they were told to preach. I'm guessing that they preached everyday to as many as would listen. Still not a reason to say they changed the sabbath.

God bless!!!
Dale
Awesome Post Dale!!!!!...Awesome!!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Oiy Vey

Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,607 times
He's speaks with the authority, that Jesus himself gave. Jesus isn't here on Earth...No. So he created and Earthly leader to guide his people with the authority to do so.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM

64 posts, read 62,316 times
The quote above basically says it all -- "the pastoral duty of the magisterium is aimed at seeing to it that the people of god abides in the truth that liberates." So, the Pope's job is basically to re-state the beliefs of the faith like any good pastor of any Christian church should do.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,061 times
Ok here is part of my last post from the catholic catechism:

The infallibility promised to the church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with peter's successor, they exercise the supreme magisterium," above all in an ecumenical council.418 when the church through its supreme magisterium proposes a doctrine "for belief as being divinely revealed,"419 and as the teaching of christ, the definitions "must be adhered to with the obedience of faith."420 this infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine revelation itself.

LINK: Catechism of the Catholic Church - Christ's Faithful - Hierarchy, Laity, Consecrated Life

For those who do not understand some of the words in this statement, I would like to clear it up!!

Supreme- 1. highest in rank and power 2.highest in quality, acheivement 3. final ultimate power

Magisterium- adj. of or suitable for the authoritive master.

Infallibility- 1. incapable of error 2. dependable, reliable 3. perfect in every way

Ecumenical- 1, general, or universal esp., of the christian church as a whole

Divine- 1. a being divine 2. a god

Here it is simplified:

The perfectness promised to the church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with peter's successor (the pope) they exercise the final power and authoritive master above all in the church as a whole. when the church through it's final power and authoritive master proposes a doctrine "for belief as being divinely revealed, and is the teaching of Christ, the definitions " must be adhered to with the obedience of faith." this perfectness extends as far as the deposit of divine revelation

I have only one final power and authoritive master!! Jesus Christ!!! I am pretty sure that most, if not all catholics would agree. But the vatican will twist words so it is not understood that he is claiming to be this "final power and authoritive master" above all masters.

"It extends as far as the deposit of devine revelation"???

This means that their power should be given support with the obedience of faith and that obedience in faith extends as far as this "masters" inserting of gods disclosure to humanity of divine truth!!

More or less the pope can add whatever he wants to the bible, and it must be obeyed by the church.

"If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book"

(Revelation 22:18)

TAKE HEED!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 PM

64 posts, read 62,316 times
The term "supreme" is actually in reference to "apostolic authority". The RCC has apostolic succession and the Pope has supreme apostolic authority in certain issues. I recall correctly, ex cathedra infallibility has only been exercised twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity