U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 08:35 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,510,885 times

Advertisements

I've never understood what he stands for. I know he represents something about the Catholic Church but other than that I have no idea. Ever since I was a kid I heard and seen news about the Pope. But I have no idea what he does and what exactly makes him more holy than anyone else? People look at him like God or something. I see various women and children crying when he comes to their country. I see them kissing his ring. And that Golden Cup he has. I read about a golden cup in the bible that is suppose to represent the filth of babylon or something like that. I don't understand why he would have something like that in his possession knowing full well what the bible says about it. Need some insight on this please! Thanks.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,790,445 times
the new pope looks like Emperor Palpatine from the star wars movies... i liked john paul II he looked like a nice old man u could play chess with in the park.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:53 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,041 times
catholics believe in apostolic succession.

Peter was our first pope, and the attached lists the succession.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: List of Popes

Old 04-30-2010, 09:20 AM

But what does he do?!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
The pope replaces Christ. While some beleive that Christ is the head of the Body / Church [as the Bible clearly teaches], others would say that the pope is the head of the church.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2010 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: please no rudeattacks on other posters beliefs

Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 PM

7,858 posts, read 6,662,302 times
The Pope purpose is the be a leader of the Roman Catholic Church for Lord Jesus Christ....... Most leader of Christian Church are Gifted by Holy Spirit to lead a flock of the Children of God for Lord Jesus Christ............ The Golden Cup you read about is authored by a hate group at rejects the Pope and his Church and reject Lord Jesus Christ lead in these Children of God..... These hate groups teach false ideas to hate the Pope and spead lies .... The best thing you can do about these Golden Cup is to put this books in the trash where these books belong.........

Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The Pope purpose is the be a leader of the Roman Catholic Church for Lord Jesus Christ....... Most leader of Christian Church are Gifted by Holy Spirit to lead a flock of the Children of God for Lord Jesus Christ............ The Golden Cup you read about is authored by a hate group at rejects the Pope and his Church and reject Lord Jesus Christ lead in these Children of God..... These hate groups teach false ideas to hate the Pope and spead lies .... The best thing you can do about these Golden Cup is to put this books in the trash where these books belong.........
Um...I read about the golden cup in the Bible. Revelations to be exact. I don't remember which verse but it's in there. And something about purple and scarlet which the pope wears I believe on some kind of occasion. I read all this connected information somewhere but I don't remember where.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The pope replaces Christ. While some beleive that Christ is the head of the Body / Church [as the Bible clearly teaches], others would say that the pope is the head of the church.

While the Bible explains that Christ is the last priest, others feel that Christ is not good enough so we need more priests, thus they have an entire selection of priests with the pope being the head priest.
Are you serious? See I always wondered what made him so holy to people. I know the bible said something like there is one mediator between God and man and that is Jesus. Do Catholics have a different bible?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,684,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Are you serious? See I always wondered what made him so holy to people. I know the bible said something like there is one mediator between God and man and that is Jesus. Do Catholics have a different bible?
They don't just base their beliefs on the Bible, tradition is very important to them.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well yes.

Plus they also lean heavily on each generation's doctrines and the build-up of 'established' doctrines from the past series of popes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.