U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,286,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
(A) God says that all will remember and turn to the LORD (all that go down to the dust, and none can keep his soul alive).

Is it right for me to reason from (A) like this?
1. (A) implies post mortem salvation
2. Post mortem salvation is not explicitly stated scripture
3. Therefore (A) must not be true

Is it not presumptous for me to assume that God must explicitly state all truths in scripture?

Besides
1. There is also no explicit statement contrawise.
2. Ezekiel 16 seems to imply post-mortem salvation.
3. God's mercy endures "forever" or "throughout the ages" implies that post-mortem salvation is available to anyone who turns to God.

I don't consider myself to be eschatalogical at least not in the sense I think you mean it. IMO the end-time scriptures primarily describe spiritual events in individual lives (whether this life or in the resurrection) as opposed to literal future events that are fulfilled one time in the history of mankind.
  • Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled
I believe that the above scripture was fullilled in that generation. But I also believe it continues to be fulfilled because Christ's words do not pass away.
  • Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

TKC,

Ezekiel 16? That is about the restoration of Israel, and most specifically, the resurrection of Israel as well. I have seen this argument before, and it is completely way off base, and really poor exegsis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM

30,169 posts, read 19,976,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
God (the lifeguard) cast his Son Jesus Christ (the life preserver) into the sea to save those who are drowning. All they have to do is grab on to Jesus and the will be saved. But many chose to drown over accepting Jesus Christ.
Doesn't deserve an answer if that is how you see God our Savior.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 PM

15,147 posts, read 8,232,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
God (the lifeguard) cast his Son Jesus Christ (the life preserver) into the sea to save those who are drowning. All they have to do is grab on to Jesus and the will be saved. But many chose to drown over accepting Jesus Christ.
True! Most try to save themselves.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,564,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
TKC,

Ezekiel 16? That is about the restoration of Israel, and most specifically, the resurrection of Israel as well. I have seen this argument before, and it is completely way off base, and really poor exegsis.
Every commentary I could find interprets Ezekiel 16:50 as referring to Sodom which God destroyed in Genesis. From there it's a matter of following the pronouns. Those comentaries all (being ETers) wriggle out of the obvious conclusion in various ways:
a) it's talking about the geographical location of Sodom that will one day be inhabited again and thus restored.
b) it's a sarcastic statement saying, when Sodom is restored (i.e. never) then you will be restored too (never)!
c) the restoration of Sodom just a type referring to salvation coming to the Gentiles

Anyway "good exegesis" is not the key to understanding God's word.
  • 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
  • Matthew 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
  • John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
  • Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity