U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,223,224 times

Advertisements

believe it or not,a lot of ppl choose not to even own a tv nowadays,esp. the Christian fundamentalists.
I think it's ok to have one though,just be careful what you watch,and what your family watches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,528,427 times
I'm sure a lot of Christians know what channel-surfing is.

But, hey, I'm a pretty straight-laced, spiritual person, and my favorite show is "2-1/2 Men"! I can appreciate raw humor.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:12 AM

7,860 posts, read 6,668,091 times
When I turn to Jesus and was converted, Jesus had a job to do and cable tv was gone an broadcast by air antenna was put up to at lest get world news to pray into the world ,, also renting movies, new papers and going to the movies was also gone, Jesus pruned these a said that this media and movies are the seed of antichrist and there is no place here. There is still many dumb movies on broadcaste by air tv but I dont watch it it it is corrupt. and Jesus said that if I see any thing that is corrupt that I rebuke it and turn the channel.........Ask Jesus what his plan for his work for you and is this media ok for your eyes or our childrens eyes

Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,713,437 times
I have 4 young kids and here is how I handle it.

I know they watch certain shows when I am not around OR they hear about certain shows when I am not around. Being a proactive parent, I am often well aware of what they watch (and I am talking about the crap they can see on just basic cable) and listen to. I let them know that what they are watching is a reflection of the REAL world out there - oftentimes cold, heartless, vulgar, irresponsible and destructive. I DON'T try to hide the fact or try to place hands over their eyes at every turn. So what do I do? Sit down and explain to them how to cope with, handle and avoid becoming or being a part of the destructive and the dangerous.

What has this done? It has produced kids who are not naive and blind to the real world, but rather, kids who are EQUIPPED with counter information coming from a source (me) they have known to trust from since they were infants. I did not just show up in their lives at age 13 and started sounding like I arrived from another planet. Daddy knows the latest lingo. Daddy knows who Lil Wayne is. Daddy knows about guns, sex, the pressure we face, what reality show is hot and the latest fashion trend. Dad is dad, but he keeps up with what goes on in our world. Simply put, good communication, accented with some proactive parenting, has done wonders.

Oh, and I'm not a Christian but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or