U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 PM

3,833 posts, read 6,201,024 times

Advertisements

It seems that every network tv show is now using sex as a main fill with very little real story. I cannot imagine allowing a child to watch this garbage. I know that CBN is available but then you must have cable/sat. in order to receive it and there is even more smut on those channels. I would think that Christians would be up in arms over this but I hear nothing in the news. Just how do Christians feel about all the sex and violence on tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,408,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
It seems that every network tv show is now using sex as a main fill with very little real story. I cannot imagine allowing a child to watch this garbage. I know that CBN is available but then you must have cable/sat. in order to receive it and there is even more smut on those channels. I would think that Christians would be up in arms over this but I hear nothing in the news. Just how do Christians feel about all the sex and violence on tv?
Don't watch tv if it bothers you...

These shows are on because people watch them...

But there is no way for us to regulate others if they aren't convicted of it.

Yet if you are you shouldn't watch it.

IMO

Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,682,983 times
Whatever happened to the idea that what you see on TV is mostly made up?? Even the BS reality tv shows(yes they're phony too)! I mean really, are we as people that much like robots?? Have we become so programmed by what we see on tv, and what video games that we play, or music that we listen to? It seems we blame all the crap that happens because of what we watch, and what music we hear. Guess what? When I was younger I watched the Looney Tunes, and seen the coyote in his never ending chases of the road runner and on numerous occasions seen him get blown up, get hit by trains, cars, boulders, fall off a cliff. All though quite funny to watch, I seemed to know it was fake, and didn't try to emulate the coyote. Furthermore, I had toy guns as a kid, and watched war films. Did I ever shoot up a convenient store? NO! Or, better yet, my step dad and step brothers were big time hunters, and we had a ton of guns in our household yet as a kid, I never accidentally blew my friends head off, because I knew that "hmmmmm playing with guns could be dangerous."

God gave us free will for cryin' out loud, and with that free will I would hope the common sense to differentiate what is real and what is fantasy. We can't control what is on tv, and quite frankly if you don't like something, don't watch it, or change the channel. Also, what are the parents doing to teach their kids what is real and what isn't? Apparently not much these days.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,092,025 times
Doesn't bother me as those things are part of the human condition. If your kids aren't allowed to watch them, with guidance from you, how do you think they'll be able to respond correctly out in the real world?

Remember the first rule of warfare: Know your enemy.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM

13,469 posts, read 21,243,107 times
If someone thinks there is too much sex and violence on TV try turning it off and reading a book or finding something else to do..

Personally I have always been sort of leery of people who complain about all the sex and violence on tv then go on to describe what they saw scene by scene, program by program, channel by channel, and come back later on in the year with the reruns

Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM

624 posts, read 1,049,079 times
Be careful what your eye sees and your ears hear...avoid foolish chatter and worldly things...we are not to compromise and fit in or blend in...we are to be the salt and the light and glorify our Savior

Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 PM

58,610 posts, read 32,038,307 times
Quote:
How Do Christians Handle Network TV?
I handle mine with a remote.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,092,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Be careful what your eye sees and your ears hear...avoid foolish chatter and worldly things...we are not to compromise and fit in or blend in...we are to be the salt and the light and glorify our Savior

Neither are we to separate ourselves from the world. We're to live in it, every day, so that we can take the Good News to lost and dying people. And living in it means being tempted by lusts of the flesh. It's just part of being human and even we are not immune from it.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM

15,257 posts, read 8,276,304 times
I just don't watch network TV. It's all a waste of time IMO. It's not just network TV though. Have you checked out TV Land on cable lately? Amidst The Andy Griffith Show, The Brady Bunch, The Beverly Hillbillies is a bunch of garbage about sex, adult relationships, getting rich, etc. Even the commercials are X-rated. Two women kissing, bare-chested women (blurred). It's a joke!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,682,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Neither are we to separate ourselves from the world. We're to live in it, every day, so that we can take the Good News to lost and dying people. And living in it means being tempted by lusts of the flesh. It's just part of being human and even we are not immune from it.

Good points! All we can do is try to do the best that we can in this world, and the short life that we have here. Furthermore, we should live our lives to the fullest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or