Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times

Advertisements

They said of Jesus:
Mar 2:7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

The disciples were given the right to forgive sins or hold sins against people (such as Ananias, with Sapphira) . . .

John 20:23 "If you should be forgiving anyone's sins, they have been forgiven them. If anyone's you should be holding, they are held."

Therefore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
A lot of trinitarians quote Mark 2:7 to prove Jesus is God because, according to them, "no one can forgive sinse but God." It was the religious scribes who were saying that.

But as has been shown, the disciples were able to forgive sins yet they are not God.

Therefore, Jesus does not have to be God to be able to forgive sins.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:45 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
I believe the sons of God are given the same rights - "whatsoever things you bind on earth...".

It's a matter of faith, following, and being converted into the nature of Christ, being joint heirs along with Him. The spirit life looks on people with His eyes, having His heart - and I believe we do set people free by His life within us.

We are still stuck in a "knowledge of good/evil" mentality about things. Freeing people is also forgiving people. It's not a complicated concept, just one that the natural mind can't fathom.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Yea! Nothing like confessing you sins and asking for forgiveness from a pedophile priest!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Yea! Nothing like confessing you sins and asking for forgiveness from a pedophile priest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe the sons of God are given the same rights

Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
In Matthew 6:14-15.....Jesus said...``For if ye forgive men their trespasses, you heavenly father will also forgive you , but if forgive not men their trespasses neither will your father forgive your trespasses......``Here is a call for men to forgive by Jesus

Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
One black guy from Africa reminded me something a while ago... even if you suffer now, be a good man, God will repay you..

Old 04-29-2010, 05:35 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In Matthew 6:14-15.....Jesus said...``For if ye forgive men their trespasses, you heavenly father will also forgive you , but if forgive not men their trespasses neither will your father forgive your trespasses......``Here is a call for men to forgive by Jesus
Allow me to post the whole prayer...

Matthew 6:5-15 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Our father which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power,
and the glory, for ever. A-men

Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Therefore, Jesus does not have to be God to be able to forgive sins.
This is true.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Catholics are by no means monolithic. During my early formation, a deacon told me he never went to confession. That he just went straight to Jesus.
And it seemed to work for him.

However,I do avail myself of a formal confession periodically.

If I were to steal something from any of you, my confession would be to go to you, ask for your forgiveness, and return what I had taken. And hopefully you would give me the gift of your forgiveness. That I believe is biblical.

On the otherhand, if my transgression is not against an individual that I can approach, but more like spiritual rebelliousness, lust, hatred towards otheres etc, .... I find going to a priest and hearing the words,
"your sins are forgiven, go and sin no more" very comforting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity