U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 7,595,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Should we start over?
LOL. Maybe we should.

Quote:
I think I may be a little confused. I thought that self sacrifice was when you died for another person, according to the bible.
I agree, which is why I was confused when you kept talking about self-defense and taking other people's lives when we were talking about self-sacrifice.

Quote:
I believe self sacrifice is not a material thing but a spiritual thing.
For instance, Jesus gave up His material life (marriage, family, etc) so that He could do the Fathers will, being Love.
Okay, wait. You just said it's NOT a material thing but then you said it was about giving up material things.

Quote:
This helped His soul become purified and then eventually Divine. So when we do acts of kindness, feed the hungry and even give all that we have, we are sacrificing ourself (soul) for another so that they may have the necessary things to survive in the world. Mother Teresa is another example. Although she didn't change the envioronment in which she taught, she helped bring Love to those who were suffering for material things like food and clothes.
I don't disagree that self-sacrifice can include giving up material things for another. (My children and I are reading about Mother Teresa right now. Very inspirational!) The ultimate self-sacrifice is to give up one's very life (like jumping in front of that proverbial bullet ) in order to preserve the life of another person. I think that Jesus was self-sacrificing in all ways, including in ways that I don't fully comprehend.

And I believe that through his life that he has given for us and freely gives to all of us, we all will live. The gates of "hell" cannot prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 PM

4,325 posts, read 5,143,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
LOL. Maybe we should.

I agree, which is why I was confused when you kept talking about self-defense and taking other people's lives when we were talking about self-sacrifice.

Okay, wait. You just said it's NOT a material thing but then you said it was about giving up material things.

I don't disagree that self-sacrifice can include giving up material things for another. (My children and I are reading about Mother Teresa right now. Very inspirational!) The ultimate self-sacrifice is to give up one's very life (like jumping in front of that proverbial bullet ) in order to preserve the life of another person. I think that Jesus was self-sacrificing in all ways, including in ways that I don't fully comprehend.

And I believe that through his life that he has given for us and freely gives to all of us, we all will live. The gates of "hell" cannot prevail.
I'm off to the gym so I'll answer when I get back.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM

668 posts, read 801,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
What if someone in "hell" asks God for forgiveness, and promises to follow Jesus? Can he get out?

Unfortunately it is too late.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:01 PM

21,435 posts, read 29,612,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
Yes your correct.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
LOL. Maybe we should.

Self sacrifice has to do with the soul. Give up the material things to save the soul. When the material dominates, the soul suffers. That isn't what we want.

When one is in darkness (hell) their soul is already suffering and it's hard for them to find the hope that is required to get out. So many suffer without the need. Our self sacrifice would be to send them love, compassion, mercy, etc. witohut wanting anthing in return. That is the sacrifice that Jesus endured for us, not His death on the cross. If He had not died, He would have still completed that mission.

I don't know. Sometimes my thoughts get confused in my own head and I have to step back and ask for clarification. Maybe I'm just not getting it or I have to disagree about the life sacrificing thing altogether. I can't see sacrificing a material body for another life when the soul is the real us. And yes, I have pondered over that aspect for some time, at least since I heard of Divine Love. Or it could be at this stage in my journey I'm unable to accept another view on this topic.

Back to the OP, I do believe that once a soul in hell has come to terms with the harm it has done to another, it can learn to overcome and progress out of that hell. it's not a permanent state of being as we are love first and foremost. They just have little "bugs" (encrustments) on their windshield (soul) they have to clean off.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,935,695 times
Rev111-i wouldnt have a problem of shooting someone down if it meant saving my own kids-only if the person i was shooting was the one trying to kill my kids-i just wouldnt live with myself if i didnt make that choice-i'm with you on the whole- the soul is you and not the body-thing,and i wouldnt have a problem with taking away someones body if they were about to kill an innocent child,anyones child,if i were a cop and some mad maniac had a child in hostage and a gun to her head and i got a clear shot,guess what-i wouildnt think twice about taking it to save that child even if it means taking on some karma still it would be better to rid the world of that demon than that child,unless the child turned out to be hitler or something,ooops!!but what if that child was to goin to be some great personality that helps world peace or finds a cure to cancer-the soul is eternal and cant be killed bye any weapon,but if somebody is willing to be so irresponsible with their time here and choose to murder a child or anyone who is innocent-if i had the4 opportunity to intervene then i wouldnt think twice...............but thats just the warrior spirit in me,but makes sense too and i dont think God would go too hard on someone for saving someones life even if it meant taking the one that was out of control and in a destructive state of being..............but originally i was talking about actually sacrificing your own body for your childs-and if that was the only way to do it i would do the same-actually i wouldnt care what it took as long as nobody innocent was getting hurt

Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
Rev111-i wouldnt have a problem of shooting someone down if it meant saving my own kids-only if the person i was shooting was the one trying to kill my kids-i just wouldnt live with myself if i didnt make that choice-i'm with you on the whole- the soul is you and not the body-thing,and i wouldnt have a problem with taking away someones body if they were about to kill an innocent child,anyones child,if i were a cop and some mad maniac had a child in hostage and a gun to her head and i got a clear shot,guess what-i wouildnt think twice about taking it to save that child even if it means taking on some karma still it would be better to rid the world of that demon than that child,unless the child turned out to be hitler or something,ooops!!but what if that child was to goin to be some great personality that helps world peace or finds a cure to cancer-the soul is eternal and cant be killed bye any weapon,but if somebody is willing to be so irresponsible with their time here and choose to murder a child or anyone who is innocent-if i had the4 opportunity to intervene then i wouldnt think twice...............but thats just the warrior spirit in me,but makes sense too and i dont think God would go too hard on someone for saving someones life even if it meant taking the one that was out of control and in a destructive state of being..............but originally i was talking about actually sacrificing your own body for your childs-and if that was the only way to do it i would do the same-actually i wouldnt care what it took as long as nobody innocent was getting hurt
Wouldn't you at least try to save the soul that was intent on killing another? I think that would be the first step before killing them to save your own child. If you then tried everything, in love, and they still wanted to kill the child, I can see your point in saving your child and giving your life. There are all kinds of spiritual things to consider before hurting the person intent on killing. We always have to consider the soul first because that is who we are, not the body, even theirs.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:56 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,725,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
By saying, "unfortunately," you are saying this is not a good thing. Wouldn't it make more sense it God's plan was not unfortunate for most people? I know you've studied the Bible for years, but if you begin studying it with the knowledge that God actually has a good and holy plan for all those he created, God can began showing you the scriptures in a whole, new, glorious light.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Wouldn't you at least try to save the soul that was intent on killing another? I think that would be the first step before killing them to save your own child. If you then tried everything, in love, and they still wanted to kill the child, I can see your point in saving your child and giving your life. There are all kinds of spiritual things to consider before hurting the person intent on killing. We always have to consider the soul first because that is who we are, not the body, even theirs.
i agree violance should be the last resort i was only saying if their was no other choice maybe i should have made that clear

Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
By saying, "unfortunately," you are saying this is not a good thing. Wouldn't it make more sense it God's plan was not unfortunate for most people? I know you've studied the Bible for years, but if you begin studying it with the knowledge that God actually has a good and holy plan for all those he created, God can began showing you the scriptures in a whole, new, glorious light.
the good news has to be good not unfortunite but it makes you tink or me at least anyway how authentic is the bible????im sure some of it isnt and some is and the parts that are are probly the parts that are being missinterpreted-i also think there are parts missing-i call it the missinterpreted butchered bible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or