U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,431,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
What if someone in "hell" asks God for forgiveness, and promises to follow Jesus? Can he get out?

Love you guys no matter what you answer here,
Brian
You maybe interested in this story.

George G. Ritchie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blessings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,936,496 times
if the eternal hell concept was true then it would be better to be born an animal and not have to face such judgment-i mean who would actualy want to live this life if they even knew there was a slight chance of ending up in eternal torture and the odds are actually against-who would send their kids to a place where temptation is everywhere and the cost of falling for it is eternal hell-who would send their kids here knowing fully that their kids were going to be misled and make these mistakes and then end up in eternal torment-who would send their children to be born into so many different cultures and religions knowing that if they were not in a particular one they were goin to burn forever-dont tell me God would have anything to do with that kind of a system

Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,425,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
What if someone in "hell" asks God for forgiveness, and promises to follow Jesus? Can he get out?

Love you guys no matter what you answer here,
Brian
Indeed, what "hell" do you mean? Sheol? Hades? Gehenna? The lake of fire (which is never called "hell")? Read the 'What is "hell" according to the scriptures' thread for more info.

Anyway I believe scripture shows us God never gives up on any soul, so if someone called out to God, He would redeem them, no matter what the situation.

Maybe this will help:

Micah 7:18 Who is a God like you,
who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy.

Isaiah 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way
and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:37 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,726,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
if the eternal hell concept was true then it would be better to be born an animal and not have to face such judgment-i mean who would actualy want to live this life if they even knew there was a slight chance of ending up in eternal torture and the odds are actually against-who would send their kids to a place where temptation is everywhere and the cost of falling for it is eternal hell-who would send their kids here knowing fully that their kids were going to be misled and make these mistakes and then end up in eternal torment-who would send their children to be born into so many different cultures and religions knowing that if they were not in a particular one they were goin to burn forever-dont tell me God would have anything to do with that kind of a system
Exactly, and who in their right mind would decide to have a baby believing there was a risk that the child would end up burning for eternity? I can't even understand how I could have been excited about the birth of my children back in the day when I believed in eternal torment, since there was absolutely no guarantee that they would follow the Lord. I think the way I was then, and the way most Christians are now, is that they are a little brainwashed, and in their heart of hearts they don't truly believe people will burn forever. Otherwise, they'd definitely think twice about having children, would think of abortion and child murder as a guarantee of salvation (if they believe in the age of accountability), they'd all be shouting in the streets, begging people to escape hell, etc......or.....they just don't really care what happens to people, but I don't think that's it.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Exactly, and who in their right mind would decide to have a baby believing there was a risk that the child would end up burning for eternity? I can't even understand how I could have been excited about the birth of my children back in the day when I believed in eternal torment, since there was absolutely no guarantee that they would follow the Lord. I think the way I was then, and the way most Christians are now, is that they are a little brainwashed, and in their heart of hearts they don't truly believe people will burn forever. Otherwise, they'd definitely think twice about having children, would think of abortion and child murder as a guarantee of salvation (if they believe in the age of accountability), they'd all be shouting in the streets, begging people to escape hell, etc......or.....they just don't really care what happens to people, but I don't think that's it.
i agree it would be better to die a baby and not have to grow old and face such chalenges-if thi9s eternal hell concept was true then i would make it my mission to kill all baby's and gaurantee them a place in heaven-i know that sounds bad but you see the point im tryin to make.

i also beleive that no one realy wants to beleive these concepts but because they are attached to their beleifs which are based on missinterpretations-they find it hard to let it go,as did I when i beleived these things,but it was more because of fear,fear that if you dont beleive then you might be the one goin to hell.

what i would say to people is to just think about God's charachter-and if eternal hell is true then God is incapable of showing commpasion,tolerance,patience,understanding,care and love to His children who He loves UNCONDITIONALY-and that word in-itself should show people what God's love is all about

Old 05-04-2010, 03:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,431,309 times
Quote:
i agree it would be better to die a baby and not have to grow old and face such chalenges-if thi9s eternal hell concept was true then i would make it my mission to kill all baby's and gaurantee them a place in heaven-i know that sounds bad but you see the point im tryin to make.

i also beleive that no one realy wants to beleive these concepts but because they are attached to their beleifs which are based on missinterpretations-they find it hard to let it go,as did I when i beleived these things,but it was more because of fear,fear that if you dont beleive then you might be the one goin to hell.

what i would say to people is to just think about God's charachter-and if eternal hell is true then God is incapable of showing commpasion,tolerance,patience,understanding,care and love to His children who He loves UNCONDITIONALY-and that word in-itself should show people what God's love is all about
Yes...

Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,726,344 times
Quote:

Yes! It's all about God's character. Before God revealed His true character to me, I would never had thought about God saving all, because I thought the alternatives were to believe Christianity was just a hoax or a fairy tale, or there were many paths to heaven. But when God showed me that it was totally because of Jesus that all are saved, it changed my heart. I don't have to hold back and shy away from his "angry" side. Now I fully, truly know the one true and living God. I know Love!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 PM

cool

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,695,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
We're brainwashed? LOL. Most Christians are brainwashed according to you? God just happened to show a VERY small minority His truth which is UR? If it's true, why would God only show such a small minority of his followers His truth? I don't know anyone who believes in UR except on here! Oh right, because most Christians are brainwashed. Give me a break. Trust me, in my heart of hearts I believe in hell. There is no doubt in my mind. Yes, aborting/murdering is pleasing to the Lord as long as they will be saved!! BHFT, shouting and screaming doesn't make anyone want to believe that Jesus died for their sins and this is why most don't do that. Witnessing is an important part of being a Christian and with UR, it's unnecessary which is just what Satan wants

Old 05-04-2010, 08:33 PM

25,664 posts, read 24,346,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No, it's too late then (if you believe the Bible and I do). Hell is separation from God FOREVER. We only have the opportunity to become saved in this lifetime.
But in that case (in your belief) why doesn't God just obliterate the person right then and there (at the "first" death)? Why wait and wait with the person being tortured, until eventually the person winds up in the Lake of Fire and gone forever, if there's no opportunity during that waiting time? Is hell in that case a punishment? How can it be a punishment if nothing is learned from it long-term since the person will eventually be obliterated entirely?

I don't believe in this doctrine. It doesn't make any sense to me. I actually just talked about this in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or