U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,720,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Believers can never be separated from Him.
ILNC, do you believe hell is just separation from God or do you believe it's a burning lake of fire? Either way, David (a believer) talked about being there, and he talked about making his bed there (the grave).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,107,975 times
we're we all "put into heavenly places in Christ while we were sinners?" That would seem a bit of a waste of time if most people are never going to receive mercy...
Jesus said, "I came to save the world." Did He succeed or fail?

If all will not receive mercy, but some will be lost, then it seems to me, that Jesus Christ has indeed failed..

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,131,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
we're we all "put into heavenly places in Christ while we were sinners?" That would seem a bit of a waste of time if most people are never going to receive mercy...
Jesus said, "I came to save the world." Did He succeed or fail?

If all will not receive mercy, but some will be lost, then it seems to me, that Jesus Christ has indeed failed..
He succeeded in His mission. Now it's up to us if we want to listen to what He taught about our own salvation. He came to show us the way, not do it for us.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,107,975 times
Reverend1111,
Thank you for your post.
Can you please help me understand the parable of the Shepherd and the sheep? I thought the Shepherd was the one responsible for bring the sheep back into the fold? Or do the sheep have to seek the Shepherd?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Reverend1111,
Thank you for your post.
Can you please help me understand the parable of the Shepherd and the sheep? I thought the Shepherd was the one responsible for bring the sheep back into the fold? Or do the sheep have to seek the Shepherd?

Jesus never said that the good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep but that he guides and protects his sheep, and shows his sheep the way to the sheepfold; and Jesus simply meant by that, that the sheep were the people of Israel, or simply human souls, and that He was the good shepherd in that He guided them and showed them the way to the Celestial Heavens by teaching them that way by means of the influence to their souls of the Divine Love which, beginning with Jesus, was now open to all who should seek it in earnestness and sincerity.

Since Jesus showed us the way, it is our own responsibility to get to heaven. We can either follow His lead or we can lead a life of swaying to and from the path. Either way is still good as long as no harm comes to another, one just takes longer than the other. Jesus' way is the best way and gets us through the "narrow gate".

Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM

957 posts, read 715,639 times
Quote:
Since Jesus showed us the way, it is our own responsibility to get to heaven
So Reverend, if this is true, then once we get up there we can brag to others that we were responsible enough to figure it out but the others...not so smart?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM

14,991 posts, read 7,530,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Jesus never said that the good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep

[Jesus said] "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." Jn 10:11

Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
So Reverend, if this is true, then once we get up there we can brag to others that we were responsible enough to figure it out but the others...not so smart?
I'd say by then you won't be bragging but helping those who did not find the way as bragging is not an attribute that we want to carry.

If everyone lived the Law of Love and left the material world rules and regulations behind, all would see how much more happier their lives would be. Living in fear of what we may or may not do that is according to some peoples idea of God is not a way to live. It's prison, in my opinion.

Jesus showed us the way through Love. Loving God and his fellow man. He did nothing else. Do you see in the bible how He always questioned the laws of the hebrews. He did this because He knew that it was our spiritual self that was important. What may be true on earth is not necessarily true in the spirit world as the two worlds are vastly different.

Here, we may not see the fruits of our actions or thoughts. In the spirit world all will see those things as nothing is hidden and our soul, or condition of our souls, will reflect on our spirit body and leaves nothing hidden.

By leading a life through love, we can also show others the way and we can also then be the shepherds. The sheep will then be the ones whose soul conditions are darker, say the rapists or murders. They need love too.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

[Jesus said] "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." Jn 10:11
I dont' read the bible and He never said those words. Just because it's in a book, does not make it true. Why would He lay down His life knowing that harming the soul, even our own, is not what God wants from us. We can protect ourselves and others from harm but when we knowingly harm our soul, no matter what reason, even to die for another, it is not in line with the law of Love.

Would you die in place of another if it meant losing your own soul. I think not. The soul is precious. The most precious substance in the universe and when harm comes to it, we pay the penalty and will need to forgive ourselves and another.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Quote:
I dont' read the bible and He never said those words. Just because it's in a book, does not make it true.
I believe He said it, regardless of where I got the info.
Quote:
Why would He lay down His life knowing that harming the soul, even our own, is not what God wants from us.
The soul in its present state is enmity with God (carnal mind, emotions). If it's not disciplined back into a state of submission to the spirit, then we remain reprobate. That's what we know as conversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or