U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times

Advertisements

I've often wondered that if Christ waited another 2 thousand years what his parables would be in the 21st century?
Clearly His parables were addressed to a primarily uneducated, argricultural middle eastern culture.
What if He appeared for the first time today, say in New York City. What would be the 21st century parables?

So I'd like to begin a thread we're we try to take what we believe to be the spirit of the original parables, and come up with a 21st century one.

I'll start.
The parable of the sower (soils) Mathew 13:4;
"He broadcast the truth of the spirit via a large megaphone, and it was drowned out by the cacophony of the early black thursday shoppers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:42 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
This parable is for us today and these parable are not literal , that the sower parable, The seed that this farmer of the Word of God.... The farmer sow his seed and some seed fell by the way side and birds eat it up...... The way side in the hard ground that was not tilled where the path would be and people would walk there and make the way side hard and the birds would be the devil.... the seed hit the hard ground and the devil came and took the seed and eat it up and the Word of God here had no effect because of a hard heart by the sin of the devil ....... Some seed fell by the rocky area and the rock stoped their roots from growing and in the heat of the day they withered..... is the Word of God came to a man who had a hard heart though the hard life and the Word of God was received but the foundation were weak because of his harded heart when the pressure of the heat of the day or times then the Word of God was put aside and he was not a doer of this Word.......some seed fell by the thorns and the thorns grew up a choked the seeds growth....... some people who heard the Word of God had a heart that was filled with a lot of other words or laws or book or scholars books and when the seed for Word of God was heard here the viney thorny other words came and drowned out the truth and the Word of God had no effect ......... then other seed fell on good ground and brought forth fruit and produced many time the seed that was planted........ Is the good ground is a heart that is free of pride and legalism and sin and many other things going on and a heart that is humble and can be lead by the Lords Spirit to quicken this person the ideas that produces and people that has many fruits of the spirit and a plan the the Lord God can lead .......

Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,565,258 times
"A certain man had a flat tire in the bad part of town at midnight. A gang attacked and beat the crap out of him, stole all his money and left him for dead.

A priest leaving midnight mass passed by on the other side.

A well known televangelist could not get his white pants dirty (the guy was a bloody mess) PLUS he had to get home with the huge cash offering he just received, and so, passed by on the other side.

But a certain lesbian immigrant atheist saw the man and had compassion on him, took him to the nearest Hilton and washed his wounds then gave the clerk a big roll of cash and said "Whatever he needs - this should cover it. If not - hit me up on my cell phone and I'll paypal whatever the bill is".

Now - which of these three was a neighbor to the man who got mugged?"

Last edited by firstborn888; 05-02-2010 at 05:13 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
"A certain man had a flat tire in the bad part of town at midnight. A gang attacked and beat the crap out of him, stole all his money and left him for dead.

A priest leaving midnight mass passed by on the other side.

A well known televangelist could not get his white pants dirty (the guy was a bloody mess) PLUS he had to get home with the huge cash offering he just received, and so, passed by on the other side.

But a certain lesbian immigrant atheist saw the man and had compassion on him, took him to the nearest Hilton and washed his wounds then gave the clerk a big roll of cash and said "Whatever he needs - this should cover it. If not - hit me up on my cell phone and I'll paypal whatever the bill is".

Now - which of these three was a neighbor to the man who got mugged?"

No doubt who the modern day "samaritan" is

Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 AM

823 posts, read 1,080,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I've often wondered that if Christ waited another 2 thousand years what his parables would be in the 21st century?
Clearly His parables were addressed to a primarily uneducated, argricultural middle eastern culture.
What if He appeared for the first time today, say in New York City. What would be the 21st century parables?

So I'd like to begin a thread we're we try to take what we believe to be the spirit of the original parables, and come up with a 21st century one.

I'll start.
"He broadcast the truth of the spirit via a large megaphone, and it was drowned out by the cacophony of the early black thursday shoppers."
Or he could broadcast the truth by a Text Message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 PM

21,259 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:

I'll start.
I started a thread with a modern day parable, but nobody seemed to care much for it. It was The Parable of the Bicycle.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I started a thread with a modern day parable, but nobody seemed to care much for it. It was The Parable of the Bicycle.
Katzpur...I remember this parable that you've posted and loved it...

Because it lines up with share the "good news" of 'Love thy God and Love thy neighbor as thyself'...then retreat with patience when ignored...shake off the dust...and let God take care of the seed to grow in HIS TIME...imho

Blessings...

Old 05-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sorry.

Hey but don't feel bad. Nobody seems to care much about this one either.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Sorry.

Hey but don't feel bad. Nobody seems to care much about this one either.
I do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity