U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,415,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's really true, though. You take absolutely any issue that divides Christians today from the need for baptism by water, to salvation by faith, by works, or by a combination of both, to universal reconciliation, to the nature of the Lord's Supper, to the Trinity, to the defining of scriptures itself, etc. etc. etc. and it is possible to make a very good case for your position by focusing on certain verses and ignoring others. I can't believe how people on this forum have come down on me for pointing that out, but it's the truth. We do it all the time, all of us. We decide what we believe and use the scriptures that support our belief to convince other people that their perspective is wrong. Then they pick up their scriptures and point to others that prove their position to be right. Then everybody starts telling everybody else that they aren't genuine, bonafide, Bible-believing Christians, and that they're preaching heresy. About that time, the moderators come along and close the thread and the whole process starts over in another thread.
Amen Katzpur...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM

191 posts, read 381,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's really true, though. You take absolutely any issue that divides Christians today from the need for baptism by water, to salvation by faith, by works, or by a combination of both, to universal reconciliation, to the nature of the Lord's Supper, to the Trinity, to the defining of scriptures itself, etc. etc. etc. and it is possible to make a very good case for your position by focusing on certain verses and ignoring others. I can't believe how people on this forum have come down on me for pointing that out, but it's the truth. We do it all the time, all of us. We decide what we believe and use the scriptures that support our belief to convince other people that their perspective is wrong. Then they pick up their scriptures and point to others that prove their position to be right. Then everybody starts telling everybody else that they aren't genuine, bonafide, Bible-believing Christians, and that they're preaching heresy. About that time, the moderators come along and close the thread and the whole process starts over in another thread.
You know, I guess that is my point and you made it for me rather eloquently. I just feel like if you relax a bit and say out loud, "You know, there may actually be some contradictions in the Bible, and there are also parts that not everyone follows, and even more than that there is a good chance we just don't understand all this" then everything gets a bit more simple. I just don't see what the big deal is. I mean, you could spend your entire life just trying to love your neighbor more than yourself and that would be enough to keep you busy. Yet, so much time and effort is spent on telling our neighbor what they are doing wrong. And so much MONEY is spent trying to stop them from doing something wrong when that money could be spent feeding the hungry.

I guess I get very frustrated at the church these days. We have such brilliant opportunities to serve...such amazing technology at our fingertips. Yet, I am so overly bombarded with constant blastings of "Our Bible is infallible, Our Bible never contradicts, Jesus is the only way and if you don't know that then you are going to Hell...."

I mean, I sometimes wonder who they are actually trying to convince.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,415,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr4tigers View Post
You know, I guess that is my point and you made it for me rather eloquently. I just feel like if you relax a bit and say out loud, "You know, there may actually be some contradictions in the Bible, and there are also parts that not everyone follows, and even more than that there is a good chance we just don't understand all this" then everything gets a bit more simple. I just don't see what the big deal is. I mean, you could spend your entire life just trying to love your neighbor more than yourself and that would be enough to keep you busy. Yet, so much time and effort is spent on telling our neighbor what they are doing wrong. And so much MONEY is spent trying to stop them from doing something wrong when that money could be spent feeding the hungry.

I guess I get very frustrated at the church these days. We have such brilliant opportunities to serve...such amazing technology at our fingertips. Yet, I am so overly bombarded with constant blastings of "Our Bible is infallible, Our Bible never contradicts, Jesus is the only way and if you don't know that then you are going to Hell...."

Jesus "The Christ", our Redeemer IS the way...and he's way is leading us to life!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:48 PM

823 posts, read 1,081,202 times
Quote:

Exactly...Jesus knew it would not be simple....so what did he tell us to focus on with all of the information that was left? To Love God and Each Other.....

Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,286,196 times
Quote:
I guess I am saying either you take every verse, or you admit that we, as modern Christians, do pick and choose which verses we follow.
Everything in scripture is related to one another, and are all intertwined into the Word of God. It must be viewed corporately and as one cohesive unit. Personally, anytime I have a question, the Word of God answers it.

Quote:
For example, in 1 Corinthians 11 it says that women should cover their heads in church.
.......becuase many fail to grasp that the scriptrues were written for us, not to us.

And homosexuals, will not inherit the kingdom, if they continue reprobate and unrepentant.
Ask Stephen Bennett...see what he thinks about it all.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM

191 posts, read 381,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Ask Stephen Bennett...see what he thinks about it all.
Yeah...see I just don't buy this. It sounds like this guy had some serious problems (cocaine! alcoholism! depression!), and I am really glad that he found Jesus and was able to move towards a better life. However.....well.....

this is not what this thread is about so I will just hush up.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,286,196 times
Quote:
Yeah...see I just don't buy this. It sounds like this guy had some serious problems (cocaine! alcoholism! depression!), and I am really glad that he found Jesus and was able to move towards a better life. However.....well.....

this is not what this thread is about so I will just hush up.
What does the scripture say?

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

God will hand you over to die if you continue to rebel against Him.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,117,180 times
Quote:

I like the term, the bible is infallible, and it has enough to lead us to the saving grace of Jesus.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times
The Bible was written/translated in a way that peoples of that day and age could understand it. I worked with 2 ladies who really believed that everything in the Bible is true and correct. Even in this day and age. When I asked them when the last time they saw any religion follow the teachings of Paul in 1st Corinthians 14--vs 34 and 35 they said "well maybe those verses arent true today!" Pick and choose. Pick and choose! You Christians are scary people indeed. But I love ya anyway!

"Let your women keep silence in The Church. For they are COMMANDED to be under obedience,as also says the law. And if they are to learn ANYTHING let them ask their husbands at home. For it is a SHAME for a woman to speak in church!"

Okay. I'm ready. Why do you choose not to abide by this? Inconvienient? Never gonna shut a woman up anyway?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:45 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,205,608 times
I find it is most helpful to me to allow the Holy Spirit's authority to choose the verses and interpret them for me when I open the bible instead of man's authority..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or