U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,588,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

It IS our duty however to uphold freedom of religion AND non-interference of government in religious matters. The founders escaped from "Christian nations" to be truly free - wisely stating in the 1st amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances".
Yep, I totally agree with Firstborn on this. If not, we could potentially be over-run by a religious government that is not to our liking. It should be apparent that if we have so many Christian denominations in our nation, we certainly can't have the government choosing one to sanction and tossing out the rest. God forbid that should happen to us. But I fear that the extreme right wing Christians might eventually get what they (think) they want, and not realize until too late what a curse it actually would be.
If there is "an anti-Christ" - I figure he'll call himself a Christian Crusader
of sorts.
Heartsong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,935,910 times
Quote:
I think this is what it has devolved into over time. Originally the decorum was loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself (transforming the world by the living example of perfect sacrificial love). Now it seems to be standing up for beliefs (AKA maintaining 'correct' doctrine).
i have to agree- actions will always speak louder than thoughts or words and loving each other withouth judgment is all we need to do

Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 PM

5,753 posts, read 4,603,317 times
Quote:
Totally agree about the good character of Betsy. She just believes in a certain interpretation of scripture which makes the future an impending doomsday and she is trying to make the best of it for everyone.

Sad but not personally hateful at all (as her soft response to harsh criticism proves).
I totally agree.
Betsey has a heart for others.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,127,021 times
I say that Occam's Bikini Wax is not off-base in what he says. Not only about Christians not having much inkling about what a Christian really is, but also about how so many "believers" are quite bloodthirsty about it all.
I saw a video of Benny Hinn yesterday, not worth posting here, as it edifies no one IMO.
I used to think he was such a "man of God," talking about baptism in the Holy Ghost and all. And perhaps at one time he was.
But yesterday I saw a side of him that I'd never seen before-- saying that he wanted to punch another preacher for saying that Jesus wasn't the only way. Excuse me??
And of course, the crowd just went wild. Crazy stuff, witchhunt-type attitudes. To me, THAT's what Jesus was preaching against, THAT's what nailed Him to the cross. Fanatic, "believe what I tell you or else!!!"-type hate and intolerance. It's the plague of Christianity, where the True God of LOVE is turned into the meanest, ill-tempered and resentful Being alive.

Doctrine can kill.

Brian

Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,797,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
If you would have told someone just 50 years ago that there would no longer be prayer in our schools, they would have called you crazy.
McCollum v. Board of Education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, a decision banning religious indoctrination in US public schools, happened more than 60 years ago. Cases specifically addressing school prayer were ruled on in the early 60s, and the large majority of the court and believers in favor of those rulings weren't considered crazy.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,581,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I say that Occam's Bikini Wax is not off-base in what he says. Not only about Christians not having much inkling about what a Christian really is, but also about how so many "believers" are quite bloodthirsty about it all.
I saw a video of Benny Hinn yesterday, not worth posting here, as it edifies no one IMO.
I used to think he was such a "man of God," talking about baptism in the Holy Ghost and all. And perhaps at one time he was.
But yesterday I saw a side of him that I'd never seen before-- saying that he wanted to punch another preacher for saying that Jesus wasn't the only way. Excuse me??
And of course, the crowd just went wild. Crazy stuff, witchhunt-type attitudes. To me, THAT's what Jesus was preaching against, THAT's what nailed Him to the cross. Fanatic, "believe what I tell you or else!!!"-type hate and intolerance. It's the plague of Christianity, where the True God of LOVE is turned into the meanest, ill-tempered and resentful Being alive.

Doctrine can kill.

Brian
I agree that the attitude described by OBW is common among many end-timers (even the glee over catastrophe) I just don't think Betsy is personally of that spirit even though she is (theologically) a part of the group which bears it.

I have admitted to the fact that I would LOVE for some grand physical observable supernatural sign to occur and confirm to all my that my unseen, non-physical, untestable beliefs are true but so far I just have to stick with how love and self sacrifice conquers evil, that's my best evidence of God.

I think the dream for these end-timers is for undeniable, observable physical events to confirm their rightness and when they see a possible sign to confirm their interpretations they latch on.

Problem is - even if the sun DID flare up in a substantial an unprecedented way and caused great catastrophe it still wouldn't confirm anything except that it was: flaring up in a substantial and unprecedented way and causing great catastrophe.

The proof of God is always found in the heart - not in external signs.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,465,015 times
For those of you wanting to know who I am and why I'm here....posted this so long ago. My profile hasn't change: Hi!! Let me re-introduce myself.............

I'm posting this as a way of a "short cut" so we can get back to the topic at hand, OUR ROLE IN THESE EVIL DAYS and what we as Believer's in the Most High God should be doing......ALL OF US! Whether you are a Believer, or not, you have a purpose. Unbeknownst to even some of you, you're fulfilling yours! So choose today whom you will serve..........carry on.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 05-04-2010 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 PM

13,471 posts, read 21,255,245 times
Reopened with caution..Please stick with the topic..Start other threads for the off topic posts that have been deleted..and remember to attack the idea, not the person..

Thanks

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-05-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,465,015 times
Thank you Miss Blue.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,229,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
For those of you wanting to know who I am and why I'm here....posted this so long ago. My profile hasn't change: Hi!! Let me re-introduce myself.............

I'm posting this as a way of a "short cut" so we can get back to the topic at hand, OUR ROLE IN THESE EVIL DAYS and what we as Believer's in the Most High God should be doing......ALL OF US! Whether you are a Believer, or not, you have a purpose. Unbeknownst to even some of you, you're fulfilling yours! So choose today whom you will serve..........carry on.
well,I wish i could outright know what my purpose is...most days i feel like I'm just trudging along...same ole same ole..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity