U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:26 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,123,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And that is where a lot of people take the horse and forget the cart. We must do things that we cannot. How can this be?

By replacing our life with His, being grafted into the Vine, abiding in Him...however we want to say it - it's His life that we live. We've been told "Be ye perfect, even as our Father in heaven is perfect."

But without Him, we can do nothing.
You've given me food for thought for the evening! Thx!

Blessings,
(the other) Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,466,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi guys, (so there are at least 2 Brians here..!),

Your answers are all quite thought-provoking..
I grew up always being taught that *we* must have faith--as if it is something we all have inside us. (Maybe we do all have it, but the message sent always seems to be, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you can do it!!)
But things change a bit if it's really true that it is the faith of Jesus, or Jesus with HIS faith, which saves us. In other words, NO ONE has faith. Only God/Jesus, and they bring it with them!

To me, this is important, because many religious types seem to give off this air of being "holier than thou," and indeed, if they consider themselves to be the authors of their own faith, then other non-believers will (even if they don't realize it) feel inferior and bad. And this is, IMO, VERY important to clarify.

Brian
Exactly. When I was going to the mainline churches I developed a pharisaic attitude because it was ingrained in me that **I** made the right decision, and **I** made the right choice, and **I** did this, and **I** did that. After a while you tend to look down with contempt on the unbeliever because they refust to do what you did. You begin to look upon them as evil things.

But thanks be to God I got my morrings back to my original faith and now I call no one unclean.

When one sees that God chooses them before they were even born, how can they boast?

When one sees that it is God that calls us and then gives us the faith to be believing, how can we boast?

When one sees that we are saved by Christ's faith, how can we boast?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,581,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
When one sees that God chooses them before they were even born, how can they boast?

When one sees that it is God that calls us and then gives us the faith to be believing, how can we boast?

When one sees that we are saved by Christ's faith, how can we boast?
Agreed - where the rubber meets the road for me is "that chosen vessel" is yet to believe. There's billions of them out there...

Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,466,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Agreed - where the rubber meets the road for me is "that chosen vessel" is yet to believe. There's billions of them out there...
Amen to that humongous elmer!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,318,676 times
I'd Have to go with the "faith of Jesus" on this one. The translation of the phrase makes a major difference in how one views their salvation.

Is it "faith in Jesus" that justifies us before God, or the "faith of Jesus", or rather the faithfulness of Jesus going to the cross to die for us that justifies us before God. Consider the implications in Rom 3:22, Rom 3:26, Gal 2:16, Gal 3:22, Php 3:9.

Most of the recent translations use the phrase "faith in Jesus". Older translations like the KJV and strict word for word literal translations use "faith of Jesus". I believe the more recent translations are in error and are "another gospel".

There is an excellent book that delves into this subject with great insight:

Amazon.com: The Faith of Jesus Christ: The Narrative Substructure of Galatians 3:1-4:11 (The Biblical Resource Series) (9780802849571): Richard B. Hays, Luke Timothy Johnson: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or