U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I love my children "unconditionally" as they do me..as God does us..

I have an adult child who is agnostic..He is loving, kind, a good parent... everything we call Christian behavior..

I am not concerned with his agnosticism, but am concerned for the other person who constantly berates, thumps his bible at him and condems him to an eternity of suffering..

We talk about God, about faith, about religion sometimes when the other person is not around..I know there is a seed of faith there and God will help him grow in His time, not mine or the other persons..
This "bible thumping" that you mentioned can be a deterent against God, like it was with me. IMO, this young man's mother is being a deterent and having the opposite effect on her child. Love will heal, love will bring someone to God much more readily than doctrine. If I had only had that in my life I wouldn't have wasted so many years defying God. Love is definitely the key.

And btw Miss Blue, your son is very fortunate to have a mother like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 AM

11,822 posts, read 9,810,005 times
I would do 2 things:
  1. Pray for the lost to be found ---like the shepherd and the lost sheep \ the woman who lost the coin parables ect.
  2. example Jesus used: The prodical son. Be the patient parent, prayerfully hope that the child comes to realize their sin of their rebellion and from a long distance, welcome the child back.
"In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Old 05-04-2010, 06:40 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I would pray.
I would also trust God.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,931,084 times
thanks for your posts-some really nice honest ones so far but there are one or two,i wont mention any names, that really dont appeal to me-there is no point praying for me -ive found my peace and happiness with God and my beleif and faith is so much stronger than it was-now that i have some solidity to back it up,what i mean bye that is that not only is their so much profound knowledge in these ancient scriptures\(no mention of eternal hell either),but the immediate effects of chanting has made my heart come to life,something that i never knew could possibly be real,in other words,i never knew my heart could reach such height's and this is only the tip of the ice-berg.please understand that just because im now not a christian dosent mean that i cant have this relationship with God that you's all talk about.......................but thanks for the other post's,really appreciate your care and i wish at the time my own mother was more like you's,but dont worry we have a fairly descent relationship now,as long as we dont talk about God,and i'm fine with that.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
thanks for your posts-some really nice honest ones so far but there are one or two,i wont mention any names, that really dont appeal to me-there is no point praying for me -ive found my peace and happiness with God and my beleif and faith is so much stronger than it was-now that i have some solidity to back it up,what i mean bye that is that not only is their so much profound knowledge in these ancient scriptures\(no mention of eternal hell either),but the immediate effects of chanting has made my heart come to life,something that i never knew could possibly be real,in other words,i never knew my heart could reach such height's and this is only the tip of the ice-berg.please understand that just because im now not a christian dosent mean that i cant have this relationship with God that you's all talk about.......................but thanks for the other post's,really appreciate your care and i wish at the time my own mother was more like you's,but dont worry we have a fairly descent relationship now,as long as we dont talk about God,and i'm fine with that.
You're going to get all kinds of answers on this board Dobeable. Some you're definitely not going to like but that's part of it. Keep checking back in to see where your thread is going because you'll probably get a whole lot more feedback. I'm glad that your relationship with your mother is better and acceptable for you now.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You're going to get all kinds of answers on this board Dobeable. Some you're definitely not going to like but that's part of it. Keep checking back in to see where your thread is going because you'll probably get a whole lot more feedback. I'm glad that your relationship with your mother is better and acceptable for you now.
thanks-will do

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM

39,360 posts, read 14,432,300 times
Love unconditionally. Respect others in their beliefs - or lack thereof. It is not our place to judge.

If OP were my child, I would simply continue to love him as I always had, regardless of the change of direction in his faith journey.

I don't understand how someone who professes Christianity can sit in judgment and withhold love and affection as a means of punishment. We are all God's children, and God loves us all.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 AM

2,981 posts, read 4,304,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I would get on my knees and pray for my childs salvation every day. It is written: "The ferverant prayers of a righteous man availeth much." I would love my child, but I would also let them know that they have turned their back on God.
That is what I did and do. I have seen mighty miracles.
But the mom of the OP poster seems to not understand grace, herself, so how could she pass the understanding of it to her son?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM

2,981 posts, read 4,304,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
im just wondering if you had a son that was once into what you beleive and has now changed their beleifs lets say to Hindu or something-as this is the case for me-i am curious what would be going through your mind's say for the last 12 years or whatever -............

the reason why i am curious is that my own mother is a devout christian and because of our now differences in beleifs we do not talk about religion in my family mostly because in the past their was only arguments and i never know or knew how she feels and is almost immposible to bring the subject up in the house-however my relationship in general with her is preety o.k.

ever since she had 3 grandchildren-my children,our relationship has improved but there was some violant outbursts in the past because of our differences,and because of her reaction(she's a very fiery woman)i gave up trying to talk to her on the subject....i know she just wanted the best for me,although she went about it the wrong way,but i was and am alot happier with my spirituality now than i was then.......but what would you do if your children sudddenly turned to something different?
Augustine was a mommy's boy, but she would not even eat with him because he was not a believer. She prayed for him unceasingly and God saved him by a miracle of grace.

My own son-in-law was raised in a "nominal" Christian family in another country, and they [his family] mixed many cultural heathen practices with their "Christian" faith [they were in Taiwan and went to a Presbyterian Church], and he did hear about Jesus and accept him as a youngster, but because of the hypocrisy of the materialism in the Church [not that all Presbys are like that, this is just his Taiwan experience]which he was raised in, and because of the kindness of neighbors who were in a Christ denying false cult that also called itself "Christian" after they had immigrated to the US, he began to study with that cult at age 15. Then a swim team member who was a Christian believer died in high school, and because of the testimony of his life which my son-in-law was literally floored by, when he learned of the impact that boy's life had on others, at the memorial service, he did accept Jesus Christ as LORD. He was even a leader in the Navigators in college. But then, later, in college, when studying other religions, he was easily led into studying with the Hindu because of reading about Ghandi and not being so grounded into the Word of God himself nor truly knowing God as His own friend who really did love him for himself and who made him and died to redeem him [head knowledge only so far, not heart knowledge]. Not being satisfied with Hinduism, and meeting Muslims who invited him to come study with them, he then studied the Koran, also, and was being groomed for becoming Islamic.
But all this time, he had weekly dreams that were always the same, in which he had lost something so precious and vital, like a vital organ of his body being torn out, that he cried with the sorrow of it, and always woke up sobbing deeply.
He knew in his heart that it was symbolic of his having turned from Jesus Christ, but would not actually bring it out and face it, but kept it as a shadow haunting him, because he thought it was too late to go back to Jesus because he had been unfaithful. One day while studying in the library for finals, his mind was arguing with his heart about what he had formerly had when he was following Jesus, and he knew that he did want Jesus, only, and that all the religions he had studied were not what he wanted. He wanted the simplicity of just faith in Jesus Christ. While he was arguing with himself and about returning to Jesus, and thinking it was too late because of his unfaithfulness, the voice of God the Holy Spirit spoke to to him in his inner man, deeply and forcefully, and said to him: "but I am faithful". The voice was so powerful and the love he felt was so strong that he broke down and sobbed and sobbed right there in that library and returned to Jesus. He had never understood what he had and what he had turned from, but that day, he was truly born again from his heart, and now knows Jesus by "revelation" to his inner man, and not from the words of others, and he will never depart Jesus again.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Augustine was a mommy's boy, but she would not even eat with him because he was not a believer. She prayed for him unceasingly and God saved him by a miracle of grace.

My own son-in-law was raised in a "nominal" Christian family in another country, and they [his family] mixed many cultural heathen practices with their "Christian" faith [they were in Taiwan and went to a Presbyterian Church], and he did hear about Jesus and accept him as a youngster, but because of the hypocrisy of the materialism in the Church [not that all Presbys are like that, this is just his Taiwan experience]which he was raised in, and because of the kindness of neighbors who were in a Christ denying false cult that also called itself "Christian" after they had immigrated to the US, he began to study with that cult at age 15. Then a swim team member who was a Christian believer died in high school, and because of the testimony of his life which my son-in-law was literally floored by, when he learned of the impact that boy's life had on others, at the memorial service, he did accept Jesus Christ as LORD. He was even a leader in the Navigators in college. But then, later, in college, when studying other religions, he was easily led into studying with the Hindu because of reading about Ghandi and not being so grounded into the Word of God himself nor truly knowing God as His own friend who really did love him for himself and who made him and died to redeem him [head knowledge only so far, not heart knowledge]. Not being satisfied with Hinduism, and meeting Muslims who invited him to come study with them, he then studied the Koran, also, and was being groomed for becoming Islamic.
But all this time, he had weekly dreams that were always the same, in which he had lost something so precious and vital, like a vital organ of his body being torn out, that he cried with the sorrow of it, and always woke up sobbing deeply.
He knew in his heart that it was symbolic of his having turned from Jesus Christ, but would not actually bring it out and face it, but kept it as a shadow haunting him, because he thought it was too late to go back to Jesus because he had been unfaithful. One day while studying in the library for finals, his mind was arguing with his heart about what he had formerly had when he was following Jesus, and he knew that he did want Jesus, only, and that all the religions he had studied were not what he wanted. He wanted the simplicity of just faith in Jesus Christ. While he was arguing with himself and about returning to Jesus, and thinking it was too late because of his unfaithfulness, the voice of God the Holy Spirit spoke to to him in his inner man, deeply and forcefully, and said to him: "but I am faithful". The voice was so powerful and the love he felt was so strong that he broke down and sobbed and sobbed right there in that library and returned to Jesus. He had never understood what he had and what he had turned from, but that day, he was truly born again from his heart, and now knows Jesus by "revelation" to his inner man, and not from the words of others, and he will never depart Jesus again.
well thats i isnt it -everyones experience is different-i had problems with the eternal hell concept-Krishna spoke to my heart before i even looked into these scriptures or went to any temple,i had no-one to tell me about Him-this is the magic that i still cant understand even today-all i ever seen was a picture of this kid that cought my heart,i remember when i was still in the christian frame of mind ,which beleive me was a bit messed up to be honest,i had this dream-i was standing on a wall and the wind was blowing making me nearly fall off-i felt very afraid for some reason and i remember closing my eyes and trying to control the fear when all of a sudden i could see a giant Bhudda statue was there and then it exploded and with this mighty light bursting from it a giant blue being flew out of it , i could see He was wearing a helmet and all this paraphanelia, i woke up and i was feeling prety amazing but didnt understand what it was about-bu it was the feeling that came from this dream that was the magic.i went to my freind who had the pic of Krishna on his wall and told him about my dream-he said it was very auspicious to dream of Krishna,i was only 17 and when i told him about the helmet he showed me another pic with Krishna wearing almost the exact same helmet,i couldnt beleive it.

although i didnt make much of an effort to follow up on this Krishna fellow,it was the next year,that whole year where i started to doubt some of the beleifs i had with the christians,and what a struggle that was,i was tottaly afraid that if i didnt beleive this stuff that i was going to hell,and over that period of time,their was work going on on the inside,Krishna,this entity Supreme Personality of Godhead was showing me things through the heart,i didnt know anything about Him and i mean anything,plus Jesus also helped me break free,His words of wisdom helped me break the contradiction-and when i did break free -boy did i feel liberated,liberated from fear and illusion,now all my freinds were not goin to hell,God's existence made sense now,even tough i was christian for the best part of my youth-i9t took nearly a year for me to figure it out,but the internal battle was realy hard,i thought i was goin against God and in doing so dooming myself to hell,but thanks to Jesus and Krishna i was saved.

i remember the first night my heart exploded into ecstacy because i made an attemp to chant His name(hollowed be thy name)Krishna has put all His spiritual potency into His name-)i didnt even know how it was su[pposed to be chanted-i just knew the names thats all,now when something like that happens with such intensity you never forget,its not sentimentality its an intense feeling of bliss,and its still no-where near the heights that can be reached-ive only had a few of them so far in my life but if you need faith in something-then the proof is in the eating,or chanting in this respect

it was actually a couple of years later that i started looking into the philosophy and stuff-i really enjoyed them few years of my life i felt like a liberated person-youthfull folly,but there was still alot to learn as there always is untill we become perfected soul's-but when i did pick up the Bhagavad Gita which is only a fraction of the divisions of scriptures-i was amazed with the science and this pretty much backs up everything that ive been through-what i mean is that this kn owledge is pretty solid and it turns from religious dogma and focus' on the realization of the soul..remember i am just somebody that has only ever been to a temple twice and that was just visiting-thats hbow strong this is someone like me all the way in little Ireland has found something that is timeless,and you know Krishna has many many forms even the hebrew God is an expansion of Him-the only difference is that their is alot kn own about Krishna but not much known about the hebrew God.

the pic that cought my attention as a kid-these pic's are windows to the spiritual world,
http://krishnastore.com/images/TA-057_600.jpg (broken link)
Krishna's universal form which holds everything in existence and contains all His expansions and energys,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or