Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:46 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,248,923 times

Advertisements

im just wondering if you had a son that was once into what you beleive and has now changed their beleifs lets say to Hindu or something-as this is the case for me-i am curious what would be going through your mind's say for the last 12 years or whatever -............

the reason why i am curious is that my own mother is a devout christian and because of our now differences in beleifs we do not talk about religion in my family mostly because in the past their was only arguments and i never know or knew how she feels and is almost immposible to bring the subject up in the house-however my relationship in general with her is preety o.k.

ever since she had 3 grandchildren-my children,our relationship has improved but there was some violant outbursts in the past because of our differences,and because of her reaction(she's a very fiery woman)i gave up trying to talk to her on the subject....i know she just wanted the best for me,although she went about it the wrong way,but i was and am alot happier with my spirituality now than i was then.......but what would you do if your children sudddenly turned to something different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
im just wondering if you had a son that was once into what you beleive and has now changed their beleifs lets say to Hindu or something-as this is the case for me-i am curious what would be going through your mind's say for the last 12 years or whatever -............

the reason why i am curious is that my own mother is a devout christian and because of our now differences in beleifs we do not talk about religion in my family mostly because in the past their was only arguments and i never know or knew how she feels and is almost immposible to bring the subject up in the house-however my relationship in general with her is preety o.k.

ever since she had 3 grandchildren-my children,our relationship has improved but there was some violant outbursts in the past because of our differences,and because of her reaction(she's a very fiery woman)i gave up trying to talk to her on the subject....i know she just wanted the best for me,although she went about it the wrong way,but i was and am alot happier with my spirituality now than i was then.......but what would you do if your children sudddenly turned to something different?

I would still love you anyway. You are the gift that God has given me and I would cherish you forever. He trusted me enough to give me you, to take care of, created in my womb.....

Just love your mommy regardless...we only get ONE! Mines passed recently, just love her, that's it, that's all.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Ya know, everyone is different.

Marie Madaline O'Hare's son became a Christian. She totally rejected him. I thought that was telling. Most mom's would still love their kid even tho they were in jail for murder.

As for me, my kid is my kid. Being disappointed is not the same as love. If my kid became a Hindu, I'd still love him and we'd have good times together

Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
I would pray.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:18 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,787 times
This is a hard question, and would apply to one similarly joining another Christian faith that is challenging to one's own beliefs. (No names here).
I personally would be much more disappointed if they totally rejected the beliefs that we have raised them with, in our case catholics, and became avowed atheists.
Total rejection of God or any religion, is in my opinion, much worse.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,021,754 times
Quote:

You love them for who they are and not what they are. The religion that they believe in is not who they are. It's only a reflection of the stage they are in in their own journey.

I told my own son that he should learn other than what I teach because it will be his choice as to what he wants to believe in. If he chooses athieism as well, I can do nothing but love him. He is my gift and what I do with that gift will be on my own soul. He is Love first and foremost. Anything else is just an experience he would go through within this earthly life. I want to show him the world and if I get upset over something as petty as a belief, then I am no better than a murder. His life is his own and how he lives it would be up to him.

Just love. That's all God asks of us.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,560 times
Quote:

I would get on my knees and pray for my childs salvation every day. It is written: "The ferverant prayers of a righteous man availeth much." I would love my child, but I would also let them know that they have turned their back on God.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I would get on my knees and pray for my childs salvation every day. It is written: "The ferverant prayers of a righteous man availeth much." I would love my child, but I would also let them know that they have turned their back on God.
I find this sad that some cannot see past their own beliefs to allow for other's beliefs....even within one's own family.
I'm sure anyone who has decided on a different belief could care less about "turning their back on God", as they don't believe in that scenerio.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
.... but I would also let them know that they have turned their back on God.
No, they turned their back on your idea of God, not God.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:03 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
I love my children "unconditionally" as they do me..as God does us..

I have an adult child who is agnostic..He is loving, kind, a good parent... everything we call Christian behavior..

I am not concerned with his agnosticism, but am concerned for the other person who constantly berates, thumps his bible at him and condems him to an eternity of suffering..

We talk about God, about faith, about religion sometimes when the other person is not around..I know there is a seed of faith there and God will help him grow in His time, not mine or the other persons..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity