U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:14 PM

668 posts, read 799,576 times

Advertisements

No one is more powerful as God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,177,220 times
Only a god could be more powerful, so you lose the whole concept of god with the question.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,224,644 times
God is sovereign and He created the universe with forethought and planning.He would not have created it with the possibility anyone could outdo Him..Man may try but it is all in vain.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,112,960 times
If there's a hell, I hope to go!

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 AM

I hope you go too-I am rooting for you

Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,394,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Only a god could be more powerful, so you lose the whole concept of god with the question.
LOL yes... only a god could challenge a god... So I guess my point with this thread is that some believe a being name Satan challenges and rebels against god.. therefore Satan must be a god too... Right?

Monotheists who have a triune good god and a bad god... how many gods is that altogether?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
I like to think that if all else fails, why not ask the One who knows everything? Here's what He says:

Thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God Himself that formed the earth and made it; He hath established it, He created it not in vain, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside Me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside Me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

(Isa 45)

God = MegaMuscle.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 AM

I think that might be the idea-satan is some kind of god. Job ruins this idea if read carefully. We are a pagan culture, particularly from greece (and before that I suppose-someone will remind me of that-such as the dualism of Persia) so the whole western project is derived from that philosophy (the post modern thinks it gets rid of it, but it is actually part of it-a philosophy thread I guess). The Pantheon is actually a monotheistic expression-all the gods are the expressions or characteristics of a singular god (all religions are monotheistic {trinitarian is the expression of the syllogism}-otherwise they would be illogical in relation to the god concept {see the problem on another thread of the finite and infinite). So we have a tendency toward multiple expressions of a god (reflected or unreflected). That is why, one reason, the church worked so hard to get the trinity doctrine out-so it would not be hidden in the pantheon or the irrational belief in a singular (one sided) only god-such as islam (or other expressions, such as the hindu with many gods, etc). Satan becomes, for some I suppose, an expression of god's dark side or such-in this way one can synthesize good and evil, in which case satan becomes a divine characteristic.

The beautiful expressions of god are great and should be the first and final word but not the middle-otherwise all mouths are stopped and we quit thinking. We have mind, so obviously we are to apply it to the expressions after we read or hear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity