Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Short View Post
Amen...and here is the last sentence of my original post: "Better to understand, embrace, and take comfort in God's sovereignty and His gift of grace which He gives to whom He wills."

God is the truth and His word doesn't contradict nor is it hypocritical. Blessings, w
you beleive the bible is God's word-then their is plenty of contradiction-

their is more to God than this bible of yours and He LOVES EVERYONE-which means that the eternal hell concetp has to realy be questioned dont ya think,or do you think,or do you just beleive the bible and thats all,the way the biboe has been interpreted has to be questioned especielly if it contradicts God's GOOD nature-are you saying that God cant show commpassion,tolerance ,patience,understanding and MERCY to his children -do you kn ow what the meaning of UNCONDITIONAL love actually means-and to say that God has set up life knowing that people will fail and end up in this so called eternal hell place is even more mind bogling-would you send your kid to a place knowing what the outcome is goin to be-eternal torture and torment-damnation..........this concept of God is worse than hitler at least hitler put an end to the pain he was causing bye slaghtering the jews-terrible thing to do-but not as bad as to what your God is about to do.........but this is the thing ............ its all LIES,look into your heart and you will find the awnser and when you do you will be liberated from the fear that has been inplanted into your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
God chooses those He will save. I take great comfort in the fact that God is in control of ALL things. If he chose before the world was made to not choose my son (he is 18 now..) into the eternal kingdom then so be it. There is not one thing I could do to change it and there is not one thing my son could do to earn it.
Wanda, I'm glad you are able to reconcile how you feel towards God with what you believe about Him. I know that if I personally would not be able to love and worship a God who would condemn billions of His own sons and daughters to an eternity of torment for no other reason that they weren't on His list of people He loved.

Matthew 7:7-8 says, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

To me that says that if we are looking for His love and grace, He won't deny us of them. As you take comfort in the fact that He is in control of all things, I take comfort in the fact that He is a just God who loves us all and wants us all to return to His presence.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wanda, I'm glad you are able to reconcile how you feel towards God with what you believe about Him. I know that if I personally would not be able to love and worship a God who would condemn billions of His own sons and daughters to an eternity of torment for no other reason that they weren't on His list of people He loved.

Matthew 7:7-8 says, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

To me that says that if we are looking for His love and grace, He won't deny us of them. As you take comfort in the fact that He is in control of all things, I take comfort in the fact that He is a just God who loves us all and wants us all to return to His presence.
theres another one we agree on and i do beleive that God's will WILL be done,so if He wants us all to return home then someday we all will.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
The baby only "gets in free" if the baby is chosen by God as one of the elect.

Because if you say that a baby is guaranteed to be saved if it dies young then why chance it that the baby will grow up and NOT be saved?? hmmmm terrible thoughts ensue. And how young is young enough to still guarantee salvation? What a mess...

Better to understand, embrace, and take comfort in God's sovereignty and His gift of grace which He gives to whom He wills.

Just a thought. blessings, w
Quote:
God chooses those He will save. I take great comfort in the fact that God is in control of ALL things. If he chose before the world was made to not choose my son (he is 18 now..) into the eternal kingdom then so be it. There is not one thing I could do to change it and there is not one thing my son could do to earn it.

Blessings, w

Hi Wanda ... Do you believe that God loves everyone, including his enemies? And if God loves everyone including his enemies, why do you think he would choose not to save them?

You mentioned your son ... Do you love him, and if it was your choice to save him, would you choose not to?

God bless ...

Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Hi Wanda ... Do you believe that God loves everyone, including his enemies? And if God loves everyone including his enemies, why do you think he would choose not to save them?

You mentioned your son ... Do you love him, and if it was your choice to save him, would you choose not to?

God bless ...
This is the problem with universalism. It's all about what "feels" right. You base truth on emotions. How about following God's Word?

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 AM

28 posts, read 61,766 times
Default Not for me to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
question:how does God CHOOSE these chosen ones -does he randomly pick them out of a hat,or does He pick daffodille heads with peoples names on each pettle-i choose you-i choose you not-i choose you-i choose you not etc-etc.
I can only assume that this is a serious question you are asking me even though you are being sarcastic with your tone...

So, if you are asking me how does God chose His elect? I have no idea. Why would the process matter to me anyway when there is not one thing I could do to be saved and not one thing I could do to lose my assurance of salvation.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Default Not sure how to decipher this

So I will try to break this up into managable chunks...please bear with me if the formatting goes haywire!

Quote:
you beleive the bible is God's word-then their is plenty of contradiction
I believe the scriptures are without error and without contradiction.

Quote:
their is more to God than this bible of yours and He LOVES EVERYONE-which means that the eternal hell concetp has to realy be questioned dont ya think,or do you think,or do you just beleive the bible and thats all,
Scriptures teach us about the completed story of man's redemption. You say that God loves everyone yet he hated Esau - (Malachi 1:2-3) how do you reconcile that? I do not think that eternal conscious torment needs to be questioned. Some will be in the presence of God eternally and some will be separated from God eternally. But, yes, I do believe the bible.

Quote:
the way the biboe has been interpreted has to be questioned
I agree that INTERPRETATIONS of the bible should be questioned! Absolutely, YES! Take it back to the orginial languages and translate without any futurist presuppositions and you will discover the truth of how it is a completed story.

Quote:
especielly if it contradicts God's GOOD nature-are you saying that God cant show commpassion,tolerance ,patience,understanding and MERCY to his children -do you kn ow what the meaning of UNCONDITIONAL love actually means-
Not sure I understand where the contradictions are. Are you implying that God's nature is ONLY those things? Because scripture clearly shows that God has many characteristics that include those but also includes wrath, just, righteous, powerful, eternal, holy, etc.

Quote:
and to say that God has set up life knowing that people will fail and end up in this so called eternal hell place is even more mind bogling-would you send your kid to a place knowing what the outcome is goin to be-eternal torture and torment-damnation..........this concept of God is worse than hitler at least hitler put an end to the pain he was causing bye slaghtering the jews-terrible thing to do-but not as bad as to what your God is about to do.........but this is the thing ............ its all LIES,look into your heart and you will find the awnser and when you do you will be liberated from the fear that has been inplanted into your head.
Here is where I may really rub ya...I don't think that God has set up life KNOWING that people will fail...I believe that God ORDAINS and CAUSES all things to happen so if someone "fails" (which isnt the word I would use because it denotes a sense of a person having control to hit the mark and missing it...) it is because God willed that to happen. (Yes, I am a calvinist)

As far as the last sentence...I look into my heart daily and I see that I am a fallen, broken person who by the gift of God's Grace has been made righteous and holy by the blood of Christ! No fear of losing my assurance...only joy that I now live in the presence of our Lord and in the New Jerusalem!

blessings, wanda

Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
This is the problem with universalism. It's all about what "feels" right. You base truth on emotions. How about following God's Word?
CantWait2Leave - tell me why is it that you believe God is unable or unwilling to save some sinners while He saves other ones?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 AM

Default God draws His elect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Thanks for the comments Katzpur - I would say that if you desire in your heart to look for Him then you are one of the elect!

But I am not sure if you are saying that you have sought after Him...since you say in the first paragraph that you wouldnt be able to love God unless he saved everyone...so I am confused. Are you saying that you DO love God but you only love him as long as you feel that He saves everyone? Like universalism? Or are you saying that the idea of God is false because He couldn't ever hate or condemn anyone...

Just curious...I don't post here often and I am not sure of the backgrounds of all you fine folks so please forgive me if I come across abruptly. I only seek to understand. Blessings, w

Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Default God didn't tell me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

You mentioned your son ... Do you love him, and if it was your choice to save him, would you choose not to? God bless ...
Hi Ironmaw - I do not believe that God loves everyone as he hated Esau (for one). Unless you don't define hate as opposing love. I think you assumed I would say, "why YES, of course God loves everyone!" but I have NO idea...how could I know the mind of God? Do you know that He loves everyone equally? Scriptures teach that God does what God wants to do when God wants to do it! And it is always glorifying to Him. Just because we do not understand it doesnt mean a thing.

Of course I love my son. Did God not love Christ our Saviour? Yet He chose to have Christ go through more pain, suffering, trials, temptations than any of us ever could withstand in order to bring salvation for His people. Not sure if I am getting the point.

Blessings to you too...w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity